Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Step 5 Restructuring

The nearest regional meeting with the FA is on Sunday at The Thurrock Hotel. Surely that's the best time for clubs to bring these things up? There are three other meetings at Leeds, Leicester and Yeovil in the following weeks.

As far as I know, the leagues don't have much say any more - it's all about the clubs from now on. I might be wrong on that. i suppose a cynic could also say neither the leagues nor the clubs have much say but I reckon the FA will listen to decent, sensible ideas.

The nearest regional meeting with the FA is on Sunday at The Thurrock Hotel. Surely that's the best time for clubs to bring these things up? There are three other meetings at Leeds, Leicester and Yeovil in the following weeks.

As far as I know, the leagues don't have much say any more - it's all about the clubs from now on. I might be wrong on that. i suppose a cynic could also say neither the leagues nor the clubs have much say but I reckon the FA will listen to decent, sensible ideas.

That is what we are hoping for.

Been done and you know it,but unless all the Leagues, back staying with the status quo + 2 promotion places it would fail.Be interesting to know what our Leagues stance will be on it,will a vote be taken from all Clubs?As the proposed Plans,will affect Step 6 Sides in the not too far distant future.

Smudgeyboy, prior to the leagues being reformed, I have already mentioned that we should do a petition sent to all STEP 5 clubs stating that they would welcome promotion for the runners up be it automatically or via play-offs. If all in agreement which I think most clubs would be, this petition should be sent to the FA expressing the clubs wishes and what they want ! Now whether it would do any good that's another matter !........, strength in numbers I say !

You organize it N.G.,The F.A. would be shaking in their boots,if they saw your moniker on it.

Ha ha this job is best left to a club secretary not a ground-hopper like me who is not officated at any club.

Someone who seems organised by way of our forum posts I recommend : Bommie, E&E, Windsor Sec, VP Krooontzzzz, GF and GP ? No disrespect to all the other posters not mentioned. Certainly not you Smudge with your deep love for the FA !!!

Ha ha this job is best left to a club secretary not a ground-hopper like me who is not officated at any club.

Someone who seems organised by way of our forum posts I recommend : Bommie, E&E, Windsor Sec, VP Krooontzzzz, GF and GP ? No disrespect to all the other posters not mentioned. Certainly not you Smudge with your deep love for the FA !!!

I would like to be involved but like you, I have no official affiliation anymore with any club or league so not sure what I could do.

With the way its going i can see floodlights being a minimum requirement for Step 6

Hope there's plenty of money around when and IF this IS implemented, then !

With the way its going i can see floodlights being a minimum requirement for Step 6

Why ?

Don't forget that aside from lobbying within the league, there is always the NLP. Nothing to stop ANYONE writing to them is there! Just need someone like NG to make sure Smudge doesn't knock one out in the early hours.

Edited by WindsorFC Programme Editor

Don't forget that aside from lobbying within the league, there is always the NLP. Nothing to stop ANYONE writing to them is there! Just need someone like NG to make sure Smudge doesn't knock one out in the early hours.

Does this mean Windsor Prog you are putting yourself forward to prepare and proceed with this petition ? Apparently Smudgeyboy doesn't drink late nowadays so no problem there ....yeah right......................well mmnnnn anyway we will see !

Floodlights at step 6 was implemented years ago but the FA haven't forced leagues to relegate teams without them yet. I believe CCL1 sides have one and half more seasons before they have to have lights or face relegation. The Kent Invicta, as a new league, has five years before it's clubs have to be floodlit. I don't know what deadline the Hellenic clubs have but virtually everyone else in the country at step 6 has lights now.

Some of the midland and nothern leagues used to have lights at step 7 as a requirement but the FA decided that's not going to be a national rule when they invented the step 7 grading a couple of years ago.

Why ?

It's all a matter of finance.

A very interesting conversation took place at Meadowbank recently between several people with a vested interest.

One comment made that rang slightly true with me, was along the lines of....

"With the way the financial situation of GB is going in general, I can see that in a few seasons time, any club AT OUR LEVEL without someone in the background prepared to bank-roll the club week by week will fold !"

My point was, progress is fine and welcomed AS LONG AS the finance is in place to cover it.

My own personal view is that over the next few seasons many many more non-league, (and possibly, if not probably proffesional) clubs will be forced to the wall.

Why ?

A very interesting conversation took place at Meadowbank recently between several people with a vested interest.

One comment made that rang slightly true with me, was along the lines of....

"With the way the financial situation of GB is going in general, I can see that in a few seasons time, any club AT OUR LEVEL without someone in the background prepared to bank-roll the club week by week will fold !"

My point was, progress is fine and welcomed AS LONG AS the finance is in place to cover it.

My own personal view is that over the next few seasons many many more non-league, (and possibly, if not probably proffesional) clubs will be forced to the wall.

If these changes come in it will not cost clubs much more than it does now. IF they choose to pay players that is their outlook and shouldn't be financed by the FA. There is money around to be had as grants for such things as Stadia imporvements so perhaps clubs should be looking into this although I am sure a vast majoirty are.

Why ?

I'm sure those that dont pay silly money out to players ( a lot of average ones at that) will be fine

Clubs are already folding like nobody's business. In December it was announced there were 30355 adult male 11 a-side teams left in England. That's down 1600 in five years.

There's a thread on the NLM forum listing teams who have folded since July which is on it's sixth page already and that's by no means a complete list. The majority of these clubs are in the 'pay-to-play' levels. My personal view is it's just getting too expensive to play organised football. Subs at some clubs are £10 a week now. If you're getting beaten heavily each week it's not a surprise that many clubs struggle to field a side so eventually give it up as a bad job.

Lost Revenues for the various F.A's with teams folding,Surrey F.A. are even offering 3K to Adult Leagues to start up another division as start up costs for 10 New Teams @ £300 per Club as a sweetener.May sound generous but Take out F.A.Fees,Cup Fees,Then add in Fines,Bookings,there is only 1 Winner.To little to Late in my opinion.

Lost Revenues for the various F.A's with teams folding,Surrey F.A. are even offering 3K to Adult Leagues to start up another division as start up costs for 10 New Teams @ £300 per Club as a sweetener.May sound generous but Take out F.A.Fees,Cup Fees,Then add in Fines,Bookings,there is only 1 Winner.To little to Late in my opinion.

You can blame all sorts Smudge. Councils for charging too much for pitches, refs fees going up, costs for kit etc. Part of the reason is there are plenty of other things to do in this day and age. Certainly changed a lot from when I started playing adult football 25 years ago.

Perhaps the Surrey FA should cut affiliation fees, leagues cut their affiliation fees, refs fees are cut and players only buy £20 boots instead of £150 boots. Maybe that would help ?

Couldn't make the Camberley game yesterday (thank god) and I can't get to Thurrock today now!

I hope somebody from here attends!

I'm sure we'll learn something on here from someone, Chris !

There were live updates from the meeting on Twitter via Epsom & Ewell - https://twitter.com/#!/EEFCWebmaster

A couple of notable tweets:

"The 2nd promotion place is now being raised but it just can't happen until we go from 14 to 12 divisions. It is definately an option though."

"Chris Conlon, Vice Chairman of the Combined Counties league, has also re-iterated 2nd promotion place & asked for more promotion places."