Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Step 5 Restructuring

Last twitter re meeting.

"Meeting over. Hard to say how many dissenters there as many remained quiet. But general acceptance of the situation appears to be the case."

Edited by Big J R

Sounds like a wasted rubber stamp meeting,Kent and Essex not to merge because of Dartford crossing,are they not adjacent Counties.Even like the Combined Counties,Clubs only look after their own interests.Feel sorry for Croydon and Wembley who actually play in their Home Towns,who have got shafted big time.Like all things people suck up to the mighty F.A.scared of them even.

Sounds like a wasted rubber stamp meeting,Kent and Essex not to merge because of Dartford crossing,are they not adjacent Counties.Even like the Combined Counties,Clubs only look after their own interests.Feel sorry for Croydon and Wembley who actually play in their Home Towns,who have got shafted big time.Like all things people suck up to the mighty F.A.scared of them even.

How many times have you tried to tackle the Dartford Crossing Smudge? Perhaps if the operators removed the toll booths - as they said they would after the cost of the bridge had been recouped, then you may have a point. Too many times I have watched my life drift by on that god-forsaken stretch of road. It also caused me to miss the start of the Epsom v Windsor game earlier this season. As for your snide comments regarding where clubs play, there are plenty in the CCL who play in their home towns as you put it.

MVSCR Legend has made an interesting point:

I was at the meeting in Thurrock and my take on the proceedings was that They have already decided what is happening and today was just there way of pretending like they care what everyone thinks.

How many times in our working lives have we been called in to meeting with Management and they tell us of a reorganisation? Always a fait au complis! That probably explains why no-one bothers to say anything.

What looks like good news is that the FA have not ruled out increasing the number of promotion places when the reorg kicks in. I guess it is now a case of wait and see as there are still 1.5 seasons to go before it happens.

Whilst there are twelve promotion places available now and there will still be twelve in the future if this proposal goes ahead, the plans reduce the number of available number of promotion spots for the bulk of CCL, Sussex and Kent League clubs from three to two, as apart from the few clubs being shifted to other divisions, most of them will be in either the London SE or the London SW division, i.e. one less league.

If clubs have been told today that this proposal could lead to additional promotion places, I would take it with a huge pinch of salt. The exercise is to ensure that there are only twelve clubs to be promoted, not more. That is the only reason we have ever been given. As a league, we have lead the way in demanding additional promotion places for Step 5 clubs but so long as there is no representation from Step 5 on the Leagues Committee and their subordinate sub-committee, it will be unlikely to happen.

Ditto what Bommie said.

I think there is an appetite to at least make our feelings know. Something co-ordinated by the league I think would be a good idea. Perhaps some form of petition set up by the league and sent to all members clubs to get signatures on and returned by a certain date to the league ?

It would be just simpler to go and bomb Wembley (whilst the FA are sitting of course), except for Steve Clarke that is, probably the only member of the FA with a brain !!!!!!!!!

We are already in the process of proposing to the FA, that two promotion places should be made available and that teams finishing in a relegation position in Step 4 Division should be relegated rather than reprieved. We are seeking a seconder from one or other of our fellow Step 5 leagues. Realistically it is the latter option (i.e. the bottom team being relegated even if another team in the same division has gone out of business) that might come about at some point but that has nothing to do with the present exercise.

I believe that Chertsey Town submitted a similar proposal in their own right sometime ago and it is a common theme within Step 5 leagues.

The point has been made and discussed at more than one of the so called Step 5 Focus Group meetings, but the Focus Groups have no actual representation nor voting rights. So long as the body that makes the decisions has no representation from our level of football, it is difficult to see much change.

Force what?

Remember that the FA aren't forcing any club or league to be part of the National League System. The Surrey Elite league has given up trying to be part of the system as the FA won't play ball. In fact they've recently downgraded 30 or 40 leagues at step 7 which effectively takes them out of the system and given them strict conditions regarding who they allow to be members if they want to be allowed back in.

In the end, the whole system belongs to the FA and there's little anyone can do about it. In this area they can always say that if we don't like it we can form our own league outside the National League System or join the AFA or something. They've got 23 clubs too many at step 5 for the new system so they'd probably welcome a few resignations.

Edited by VPCTFC

Ditto what Bommie said.

I think there is an appetite to at least make our feelings know. Something co-ordinated by the league I think would be a good idea. Perhaps some form of petition set up by the league and sent to all members clubs to get signatures on and returned by a certain date to the league ?

Erm Kroonnzzz have I not already mentioned doing a petition to present to the FA ? ....oh I know forumrites thought I was joking !

Having been to the meeting today It was confirmed that no one has been asked to manage any of the leagues in the proposal because the manadate to make the change in structure has not been given. This will be decided by the FA council. Our clubs that were present today spoke with Chris Conlon and Neil Morell after the meeting and were all in agreement that we should have a CCL clubs meeting to discus this matter.

The FA told us last week at Burton that no decisions had been made as to who would administer the new leagues. It would be logical to assume that, for example, the new Central Division would be run by the current Hellenic League management, as there are a surplus of Hellenic League clubs in it. Likewise in the London SW and the London SE, there are currently a surplus of CCL and Kent League clubs respectively, so we would hope to be asked to administer the London SW League. Like so many other connected matters (Step 6, Reserve Divisions, Match Officials, Finance, Sponsorship agreements, standardisation of rules - there is still some variation, etc) this has still to be considered.

Given that it has been stated quite categorically that no league will disappear, it may be that Sussex who have a strong Step 6 & 7 Division in terms of numbers of clubs, would be in a better position to run as a Step 6/7 League than us as we don't have a Step 7 league and we may not have too many Step 6 clubs if the FA insist upon them all having Grade G, which we are trying to implement anyway. It is pure conjecture at present though.

I understand that less than ten of our clubs were represented today, although I don't have the exact number.

Edited by whitelaw

How many times have you tried to tackle the Dartford Crossing Smudge? Perhaps if the operators removed the toll booths - as they said they would after the cost of the bridge had been recouped, then you may have a point. Too many times I have watched my life drift by on that god-forsaken stretch of road. It also caused me to miss the start of the Epsom v Windsor game earlier this season. As for your snide comments regarding where clubs play, there are plenty in the CCL who play in their home towns as you put it.

MVSCR Legend has made an interesting point:

I was at the meeting in Thurrock and my take on the proceedings was that They have already decided what is happening and today was just there way of pretending like they care what everyone thinks.

How many times in our working lives have we been called in to meeting with Management and they tell us of a reorganisation? Always a fait au complis! That probably explains why no-one bothers to say anything.

What looks like good news is that the FA have not ruled out increasing the number of promotion places when the reorg kicks in. I guess it is now a case of wait and see as there are still 1.5 seasons to go before it happens.

My advice to you Windsor Ed,leave in good time,allowing for delays that you know happen regularly.COMMON SENSE surely.