Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Step 5 Restructuring

Would be interesting to hear views of contributors from Step 4 Clubs as to the relative strengths of the 2 levels. Ed above clearly believes that 2nd placed Step 5 teams are "better" than 4th bottom Step 4 - is that a view shared by those with Step 4 experiences?

Whilst most promoted Step 5 teams "hold their own" at the higher level, it's never with the same players and often a virtual new squad is needed to survive at the higher level?

I'd agree that most of the top 6 sides in the CCLP would do fine at Step 4. The football quality is often a bit worse but they are stronger and fitter usually. There are a fair few sides that would struggle to get back up if they came down to the CCL.

Merstham's first season in the Ryman when they finished 8th (7th really but hey...) was done with the exact same squad that Mick had in the CCL.

It just frustrates me that these clubs are not given a chance. Then we wouldn't have to have a hypothetical conversation about it.

Surely good sides coming through would strengthen the leagues concerned, so I cant't see why everyone else gets at least two up while we get shafted.

Smudge I wasn't having a go at those clubs directly, just using them as an example of clubs who hover near the danger zone. Knowing they can do this creates complacency and that isn't good either.

Also, whilst I'm aware Horsham YMCA went down, my issue with them was that they gained promotion I believe by finishing in third place in the Sussex League a couple of years back. Maybe the Combined Counties league is a victim of its own success, because Guildford apart (who wanted to go up last year) we don't have top clubs that then either choose to stay down or are rejected. How many clubs have been promoted from Sussex recently? Yet we can only move one up while they may have been about the only team in the top five who could or would go up anyway.

dorking fc has a huge away support. B)

( select your next witticism very carefully Mr BJR, it may be your last!)

I'm far too much of a gentleman to mention your 'huge support', TSF !!!!

:bolt:

It just frustrates me that these clubs are not given a chance. Then we wouldn't have to have a hypothetical conversation about it.

Surely good sides coming through would strengthen the leagues concerned, so I cant't see why everyone else gets at least two up while we get shafted.

Smudge I wasn't having a go at those clubs directly, just using them as an example of clubs who hover near the danger zone. Knowing they can do this creates complacency and that isn't good either.

Also, whilst I'm aware Horsham YMCA went down, my issue with them was that they gained promotion I believe by finishing in third place in the Sussex League a couple of years back. Maybe the Combined Counties league is a victim of its own success, because Guildford apart (who wanted to go up last year) we don't have top clubs that then either choose to stay down or are rejected. How many clubs have been promoted from Sussex recently? Yet we can only move one up while they may have been about the only team in the top five who could or would go up anyway.

EE why dont you do a petition with all the STEP 5 clubs regarding 2 teams being promoted then send the petition to the FA ? Thats +200 clubs voices, 'cos I'm sure they all want 2 as opposed to 1 being promoted, when usually come January/February the Premier Champions are nearly aways decided by then, then there is nothing for other clubs to play for bar the relegation zoned clubs....then agin, there is always the...... PLAY-OFF CUP ,!!!!

Of course the biggest thing to come out of all this would be the break up of the forum!! We'd have the likes of BJR, Smudge and bommie in one camp with Krooner, Green Fingers and aupostie et al in the other :bigcry: NICEGUY would be up for grabs to the highest bidder though ^_^

Not keen on this break up myself. Having worked in Farnborough for several years i've come to think of Cove, Camberley, Sandhurst etc as local clubs too. No affinity with the likes of Hassocks and East Grinstead to be honest and no particular desire to travel to them either. (Quite like Arundel mind!). Odd titles for the splits (presume they are working titles?) - Hassocks in the London SW League just sounds plain daft. Also, Hassocks to Hanworth Villa on a wet January Tuesday night anyone? Hmmm!

A fella from Fisher (who's also in favour of E&E's suggestion of clubs lobbying the FA to get more promotion places out of this) has done some maps of the proposed new leagues. You lot left in the CCL (or SW London) will still have less travelling than anyone else in the country except maybe the Wessex League (or Southern).

You can't zoom in much on the maps so get your magnifying glasses out - http://www.scribd.co...c/78068879/Maps.

**edit**

Not being a computer buff I don't know if this is standard but, if you don't know, right click on a map, click on 'view image' and you can zoom in a bit.

Edited by VPCTFC

so with all this going on anyone going to have a stab at whats going to happen to step 6?

Am i right in thinking Step 6 is Sussex 2? If so then there are several clubs that play on recreation grounds with rope around the pitch similar to how Chobham was. Same for the Hellenic league too

Yes NLN and I think a few of them will go being replaced either by Step 5 clubs without the grading or eventually Step 5 sides relegated as the leagues are returned to a max of 22 teams.

Looking at that map it would seem that London SW, London NW, Central and South have got the rub of the green. It could be a hell of a lot worse. The Eastern and Western look horrible. The North East isn't pretty either.

I can't remember who posted it but one of the earlier comments on this thread but the suggestion that the FA completely restructture non league football would make far more sense. 1 Division at Step 1, 2 at 2, 4 at 3, 8 at 4 and so on. Promotion and relegation would be much simpler as well.

Whatever happens, there will always be anomolies. Take Bishops Stortford having to play in the Blue Square North this season!

Another long chat at Wibbandune last night at our youth team game.

Having worked extremely hard to get to this level, the club are adamant that they want to be part of the new set up at step 5.

The travelling issues were discussed and we have decided that a unified mode of travel (coach/mini-bus) would be required for the long distance ones.

First things first though and the first aim is to avoid relegation this season and next and to make the necessary ground improvements so as to be eligible to remain at step 5. We believe that the ground inspections will be more rigid this time round!!!

I think our general thoughts are that if we could not remain at step 5, for whatever reason, it would not be too disastrous to play at step 6 although we are aware that we may lose some of our current squad who may wish to remain at the higher level.

No disrespect to some of our Div 1 and Sussex 2 sides but we want to play on better grounds and at 3pm on Saturday afternoons!

Tony H, and the club committee, have worked hard to get where they are and they do not want to give that up without a fight.

Tony and I are going to the meeting at Thurrock on Sunday and I will report back on here to those who can't attend.

Whatever happens, there will always be anomolies. Take Bishops Stortford having to play in the Blue Square North this season!

Well a lot think that's one of the reasons for the proposals - the fact that the boundary between Conf North and South has slipped lower and lower each year is due to there being two Step 3 leagues in the south and one in the north. This 'problem' starts with the multitude of Step 5/6 leagues in the south. You have to decide at some point whether to divide the country by region or by population.

With the way its going i can see floodlights being a minimum requirement for Step 6

I assume you are being sarcastic?

Took this post from another forum.

"BBC radio London's non league show on monday (podcast available) had an interview with FA spokesman Mike Appleby. he said ,that from soundings taken in September/October, 8 leagues were in favour of change, 4 against, 2 non committal. This prompted the FA to do more work. He then said that this was still a consultation process and if the CLUBS showed 'no appetite for change' the the staus quo would be maintained. There would NOT be a vote 'as such'. the committee(ie conf/isth/north/south/county reps?) would decide. Therefore an imposed solution. No need to continue this thread now, as its all clear isn't it?"

Re travelling issues.

Sutton (where I live) to Camberley tomorrow by road.

Total distance: 33.78 miles

Journey time: 44 minutes, 58 seconds

The train (with 3 changes) takes 2 hours!!!!!

(and costs £12).

Been done and you know it,but unless all the Leagues, back staying with the status quo + 2 promotion places it would fail.Be interesting to know what our Leagues stance will be on it,will a vote be taken from all Clubs?As the proposed Plans,will affect Step 6 Sides in the not too far distant future.

Difficult to say what the plan of action would be Smudge as I am sure there is stuff going on within the league that we do not know about. I would suggest that at the next clubs meeting that the issue is raised and that if there is support for the proposals that the league get somesort of letter from each club explaining their support for the resturcturing providing that it included the opportunity for the 2nd placed club in each league to be promoted.