Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Town 0 Hornchurch 1

blue pilgrim

A bumper crowd of over 1100 probably deserved better than a cagey game ; a whistle happy referee and both teams aiming to avoid defeat.

The onus was on Billericay as the home team but they failed to take the game to Hornchurch, until they went behind to a Tommy Black scrambled effort 25 minutes from time. The Urchins probably deserved the goal after they upped the tempo in the second half.

I think we can safely say that the manager of the month curse has well and truly nobbled us in December - Hornchurch must be favourites for the next award, fingers crossed !!!!

I thought overall a draw was a deserved result, Billericay failed to take their chances Hornchurch took one. Our fullback got caught and we were a little exposed. The referee followed a similar pattern of this season at home, missed most of the fouls and made some very strange decisons. Great to see such a good crowd I am sure it helped the players. We need to get back to winning ways. We also need a striker to put away the chances but at this time of the season they are hard to find.

Edited by tomsootytilly

Thought it was a pretty evenly contested but you always tried the same trick....gain a throw in or free kick and launch it in the box....I admit we didn't exactly play constant samba football but there was only one team trying to play football.

I can see why you are where you are as that style of play clearly suits you but surely wont gain many plaudits for it...would have liked to have seen a more open game but for obvious reasons I cant grumble.

Anyway well done for a good crowd - see you in April for the showdwon

First half was pretty even although not one that'll live in the memory for long. They came out with more purpose in the second half and it was no surprise when they scored.

After that we huffed and puffed but didn't threaten other from the odd set piece or long throw.

Still top, although one win in five with three goals scored isn't promotion form.

A win on Saturday is vital.

COYB!!!

A thoroughly deserved win for Hornchurch.

I was bitterley dissapointed in us today. We froze in front of a bumper crowd (how many times have we seen that happen ?!) and failed to create any real chances from open play.

We lacked any real mobility in the middle of the park and really miss a box to box type player. It would be interesting to look at our run of results since we lost Semakula.

That just 5 points from a possible last 15 now and we really need an upturn in form and results or we're going to struggle to stay in the top 5, let alone win the bloody thing!

Looking forward to Saturday and a more positive feeling to end 2011 with.

Not sure but did anyone notice? the Urchins are still TURD place.

Come on,dont be bitter,great day for local football,biggest derby crowd of the weekend,close game but i felt the better side won,although had it been a draw i doubt anyone would have complained.Kimble is right though,your tactics today were to cause panic and confusion,didn't work today but will do the rest of the season,although we call you a sh1t stoke city,stoke have never smashed side like you have this season.Dale,calm down you plonker lol

A thoroughly deserved win for Hornchurch.

I was bitterley dissapointed in us today. We froze in front of a bumper crowd (how many times have we seen that happen ?!) and failed to create any real chances from open play.

We lacked any real mobility in the middle of the park and really miss a box to box type player. It would be interesting to look at our run of results since we lost Semakula.

That just 5 points from a possible last 15 now and we really need an upturn in form and results or we're going to struggle to stay in the top 5, let alone win the bloody thing!

Looking forward to Saturday and a more positive feeling to end 2011 with.

Looking at the programme in the nine games since Semekula left we have lost three. In his last nine games for us we lost three. In his last three games we won none, but why stop there if Morgan, Oates, Wild, Luke, Edwards or Knight were available yesterday they would have probably played but for one reason or another they didn't.

As for the game it was a tense, top of the table affair with two strong sides. The bumper crowd made for a great atmosphere. it was close and had the look of a 1-0 either way. I don't think Hornchurch could have complained if we had won as their gk was the busier of the two. I disagree that we froze and that they thoroughly deserved it but they had a slight edge. I agree that we are not as mobile in the middle but we have lost three of our best midfielders and once again I cannot understand why Harrison is left out. Having said that I felt Poole and Collis were our best performers on the day.

It's interesting on the Hornchurch forum how they unanimously agree they were magnificent and all gave 10/10 performances in a game we could just have easily won. Their match report was fair and I have to agree that the pitch is truly awful. The video of the goal shows the ball bouncing almost comically from the moment it crosses the halfway line. What they did omit was the obvious red card offence when their number 8 flattened Hawes in the first half.

It's not been a very good month but let's hope we can finish it on a high on Saturday.

COYB

Bearing in mind our resources and the catalogue of player losses, it has been remarkable that we have got to the 27 December to suffer our first home league defeat and still remain top of the league. The objective was a play off place and that remains very much achievable.

No team has broken away yet and I have yet to see any side that I would put money on for the title. Lowestoft obviously remain favourites but they have been edging wins and struggled to beat 9 man Bury this week. It would be useful if our friends at Hornchurch could beat them next week to keep things tight.

My only disappointment with Town, is our one dimensional play and lack of a plan B. Yesterday, we were happy to gamble with Dale up front for set pieces in the closing moments, yet delayed bringing H on when we went behind. Very negative IMO. Hopefully, once Junior is available again and Glenn Poole has settled into midfield, we can find a bit more balance in the team.

By the way, I think switching the game from Boxing Day paid dividends (apart from the result !!!)

I agree with most of the above. It was a tight game, similar to the Lowestoft one and unfortunately with the same result.

I could understand why we went a bit defensive given that three of the back four haven't played for a while and Swainey was clearly unfit.

That said being at home the onus should have been on us to attack more. We only looked like scoring from set pieces until the last ten minutes when we replaced the hapless Halle with Chatting and moved Poole inside where he got much more of the ball.

We can bully the weaker sides out of games, but we need to come up with something else against the better teams. A mobile central midfielder is an absolute must.

However, let's not forget that we are doing fantastically well this season on not huge money and still have an excellent chance of finishing jn a top five spot at least.

Hoping for a much needed win and a few goals Saturday. Be brave lads! Come on you Blues!!

Still gutted this morning, tight game with a soft goal conceded, after they broke down our right and brushed off the part interest of three of our players.

We were poor and like many I couldn't understand leaving halle on the pitch until the last ten when Harrison was sat warming the bench? To anyone in the ground it was clear that Collis and Halle were out of their depth and far to slow to reach the ball when play broke down and when they did a mighty hoof was the order of the day. Whilst this midfield misatch took place we left our best technical player out on the wing chasing the mighty hoof and not much more. Surely a change should have been made earlier to bring Poole inside where he can work openings, like he did in the last ten.

Talking to a few of the Hornchurch fans after the game it was also so soul destroying because we are clearly being depicted by many (quite rightly due to our last 3 or 4 perfomances) as a hoof and hope direct team who just lump the ball in the box looking for a lucky break. Now anyone who has followed us this season will testify the perfomances against the likes of Wingate and Met Police were some of the best we have seen for many a year with pacy, flowing, passing football and we were a joy to watch. To now be classified as a 'Stoke City' is frustrating and undoes the great work the team did earlier in the season.

Whether New Lodger likes it or not we have lost fluidity in the middle of the park and the lack of movement up front, sees us need to find a strong midfielder and in my view another stiker. We look lost going forward and some much needed compuser and nouse is needed in these two areas to allow us to open up teams rather than put faith in our new direct style of play.

I thought the day was a great success for our league with a bumper crowd and proof that there is still much interest in the town for their team, but I am absolutely gutted that we decided to put on our worst performance of the season in front of so many. I wonder how many will return for more of the same on Saturday? Missed opportunity in my view.

Anyway we are still top of the league and have all our nearest and dearest title contenders to play again so bring on Saturday and three points!

Edited by Patriot

I am one of the 700 odd non regular spectators who decided to watch a local live game at a club doing well. Sorry if I turned out to be a jinx ! I stumbled across this forum whilst trying to find a match report on the Billericay FC website. There isn't one there yet -- but there is on Hornchurch's

Some frank observations :-

The quality of the pitch was poor and needs improving.

Billericay's defence looked quite sound to me, despite the one goal against. But the midfield was found lacking in supporting the attack and the strikers were fairly ineffective.

The manager should have substituted Nos 4 and 11 earlier than he did -- No 4 did very little and No 11 was clearly having a off day and had run out of steam long before.

The centre forward is a bit of a carthorse on the ground, but looked like he could be dangerous in the air. However, until the goal went in there was little attempt to capitalise on this. No 4, and to a lesser degree No 7, played mostly as neither one thing nor the other in terms of being wingers or all round midfielders.

The second striker No 10 showed some nice touches and ball control, but was largely ineffective.

Most important of all I agree with the person who says that as the home side, top of the league, and in front of a bumper crowd Billericay should have taken the game to the opposition from the off. But the first half was poor, and they only started playing when they went one down. They seemed to have suffered from a nose-bleed resulting from the lofty league position, and they choked on the big occasion. Pity. Overall though, on the play I thought a draw would have been a fair result.

I gather that there are better players that are currently unavailable but who can be brought in in due course. Nevertheless it was a lost opportunity, as someone says above. I am sure I'll go and watch Billericay again this season. Had they turned in another stomping win then I might well have given it another go on Saturday, but now I probably won't. Might be just as well to lift that jinx !

Edited by George Howell

I thought defensively we were very good, Sobers looks excellent and was a good replacement for Wild. Both full backs had good games apart from the 1 mistake for their goal.

Clearly we have a major problem in midfield which is probably why we are lumping the ball forward. I agree with the comment about Glen Poole in midfield, he looked far more creative and had been very isolated on the wing.

A fantastic crowd but a game that was frustrating and failed to live up to much. I actually thought the ref had a half decent game. Like most local derbies this threatened to boil over at times but credit to the man, he did keep all 22 players on the pitch and avoided any major confrontations ( including amongst the management !!! - see Non-League Paper this week)

3 points is vital this weekend, it was inevitable we would have a dip in form, hopefully we have now got over that.

Losing our fluidity in midfield could have something to do with losing our two central midfielders. I didn't see it as a midfield mismatch at all. They hardly created anything and I don't remember Brightly have much to do at all. It might be coincidence but our best performances have been on better surfaces. I think Barcelona would have a job trying to pass it on our pitch.

It was hardly our worst performance of the season. As you said it was a tight game against promotion contenders who have won their last nine away games. Hornchurch look a strong side but as said earlier they couldn't have complained if we had taken the three points.

With five players out (presumably getting paid) and with four strikers it would be interesting if there is anything in the kitty to bring any players in.

It's always easier to criticise I suppose.

Sent from my IPhone.

I am one of the 700 odd non regular spectators who decided to watch a local live game at a club doing well. Sorry if I turned out to be a jinx ! I stumbled across this forum whilst trying to find a match report on the Billericay FC website. There isn't one there yet -- but there is on Hornchurch's

Billericay's defence looked quite sound to me, despite the one goal against. But the midfield was found lacking in supporting the attack and the strikers were fairly ineffective.

The manager should have substituted Nos 4 and 11 earlier than he did -- No 4 did very little and No 11 was clearly having a off day and had run out of steam long before.

The centre forward is a bit of a carthorse on the ground, but looked like he could be dangerous in the air. However, until the goal went in there was little attempt to capitalise on this. No 4, and to a lesser degree No 7, played mostly as neither one thing nor the other in terms of being wingers or all round midfielders.

The second striker No 10 showed some nice touches and ball control, but was largely ineffective.

Most important of all I agree with the person who says that as the home side, top of the league, and in front of a bumper crowd Billericay should have taken the game to the opposition from the off. But the first half was poor, and they only started playing when they went one down. They seemed to have suffered from a nose-bleed resulting from the lofty league position, and they choked on the big occasion. Pity. Overall though, on the play I thought a draw would have been a fair result.

I gather that there are better players that are currently unavailable but who can be brought in in due course. Nevertheless it was a lost opportunity, as someone says above. I am sure I'll go and watch Billericay again this season. Had they turned in another stomping win then I might well have given it another go on Saturday, but now I probably won't. Might be just as well to lift that jinx !

I hope I speak for many when saying thanks for your comments.

Hopefully you will join us again soon in the new year and will be treated to something more spectacular.

You make interesting points that seem to concur with many views of regular posters.

Only thing I'd take up with you is the reference to May (9) being a "carthorse".

Granted, not his best game, but I think he continues to give a lot to the team even during his current dip in form.

Great to see a big crowd, disappointing not to have seen three points.

Must have been nice for the 150 Hornchurch fans to see a game close up for a change!

As always this season, the effort was there if not the finesse.

Play-offs still well in sight

Don't give up on us George, you can pay £55 in the Premier League and get dire games. Believe me, there are far worse pitches in this league and it is up to the players to adapt. Yes, the team was disjointed, but they will still win more than they lose, once those injured/suspended are back.

As for richards comments about the referee, I accept that he was not the worst we have seen this season but he made too many errors and could have tried to let the game flow a little bit more. I believe the players had respect for one another from the start, despite what was at stake. ( unlike at Concord last week)

Sorry to denigrate an obviously popular and well-respected player with perhaps over-colourful language. He did not impress much on the day, but next time I come hopefully he will play a blinder and make me eat my words.

Re the comment about £55 for a PL ticket to watch rubbish, I could not agree more -- I've been there. I was already aware of the relative merits of watching non-league football.

I did enjoy yesterday, especially the second half, despite the disappointing result. It hasn't put me off, and although I'm not into attending every game I'm sure I'll drop into New Lodge from time to time. Might even get 'er indoors up there occasionally.

And by the way I should have mentioned in the first post that the referee was indeed officious, irritating, and unimpressive, and that the match was played in good spirit by both teams.

Ahhh the usual doom and gloom from us and the rose coloured glasses from the urchins...

I can't disagree that we were not at our best and I am sure that our management team will get hold of the situation...they have done it so far this season as our position still confirms...

Personally, I thought the urchins were lucky...to complete the game with all eleven on the pitch. The player that decided to throw himself at Hawes, led with his elbow...it was a deliberate act of violence which the officials let go. Nothing surprising in the actualy act and the officials soft response. perhaps if they dicovered the balls that they procrate with, he would've walked.

That doesn't take away that, until Poole went into the middle and Halle was subbed (not happy that some have named him...I am sure he doesn't deserve to be singled out...we did have chances and our forwards didn't convert...and therefore are just as guilty for us not winning), we didn't look like the side we have done all season. Poole in the middle for me against Harrow...And can we please have Cuz start or Courtney back...we're light up front.

The facts are...We've been beaten by two teams that are position 2 & 3 and they still haven't over taken us...ha, ha. Win on Saturday and we'll still be top for the New Year.

Oh and games in hand...give me points on the board...like all seasons, this one still has a lot to play for so lets pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and get behind the team.

Ahhh the usual doom and gloom from us and the rose coloured glasses from the urchins...

I can't disagree that we were not at our best and I am sure that our management team will get hold of the situation...they have done it so far this season as our position still confirms...

Personally, I thought the urchins were lucky...to complete the game with all eleven on the pitch. The player that decided to throw himself at Hawes, led with his elbow...it was a deliberate act of violence which the officials let go. Nothing surprising in the actualy act and the officials soft response. perhaps if they dicovered the balls that they procrate with, he would've walked.

That doesn't take away that, until Poole went into the middle and Halle was subbed (not happy that some have named him...I am sure he doesn't deserve to be singled out...we did have chances and our forwards didn't convert...and therefore are just as guilty for us not winning), we didn't look like the side we have done all season. Poole in the middle for me against Harrow...And can we please have Cuz start or Courtney back...we're light up front.

The facts are...We've been beaten by two teams that are position 2 & 3 and they still haven't over taken us...ha, ha. Win on Saturday and we'll still be top for the New Year.

Oh and games in hand...give me points on the board...like all seasons, this one still has a lot to play for so lets pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and get behind the team.

Absolute garbage with regards to an act of violence,The usual Rose coloured glasses from you Gazza