Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Why so many viewers and so few forumites?

This may seem a strange question, but I'm scratching my head as to how most of the threads on this forum get between 150 and 1,000 views, and yet there are usually no more than one or two of us willing to start a thread or even send a reply. Why so many viewers and so few forumites? Are there really that many people out there who read this site but don't want to put their views across?

At a push, there are a tiny handful of supporters who type away frivolously (me, Kevchenko, sometimes Brenwil and Keith B, er, that's about it at the mo) and we're outnumbered by committee members who provide us with info or join in the chat (e.g. Pitbull, Whitelaw, SBF, Fatboy and, of course, Beano).

I'd wager that quite a few Ashford forumites have given up due to the dark days encountered last season, but it staggers me and, I admit, it upsets me a bit that no-one else on the terraces wants to put a point across or at least agree / disgagree about anything mentioned on the forum.

So...does anyone 'new', or do any lapsed forumites, fancy logging on and keeping us company?

• I agree, i get very frustrated that some people obviously read the forum but dont contribute. Sadly people only seem to want to use it when they want to stick the knife in to something, like last season.

• I post as much as i can and try to put up threads that people might respond to, but too much from one person can be counter productive.

• Perhaps we could do something in the programme SBF?

I'd noticed the fewer number of contributors as well. I must admit I look at the Forum most days to see if there is a new post but as I don't get to as many games as I used to, I don't often start a post.

I also felt a bit peeved last season when a few of my posts were responded to negatively - if not on the Forum then in the clubhouse. At first I thought "if I have an opinion, I have the right to express it, as long as I am not offensive", and I still think this. However, I think I was put off a bit from saying my piece as freely as I might.

I know that era has now passed and the club has moved on (to a healthier place than it might have been). Look on the bright side - if only a handful of people were "viewing", then there might be more cause for concern, as the handful of contributors would pretty well be speaking to themselves! Like I often do at home.

Happy New Year everyone.

Good idea FB I might do a page in the next programme about both the forum and the website, it might help.

In my (limited) experience most people only use forums when they want to have a moan about something so maybe everyone's happy at the moment ?? Still it would be nice to have a bit more going on.

Unfortunately I very rarely start a topic unless there something happening around the club.

SBF

If space allows, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a half-page or full-page plea to potential forumites in the matchday programme for the game against Burnham on the 14th.

It would tie in nicely with the fact a forumite's sponsored the match ball that day (hopefully Beano or Mick will do the matchday announcements that day, otherwise I'll do an anonymous tannoy announcement while mentioning the rugged good looks of the sponsor!). B)

If space allows, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a half-page or full-page plea to potential forumites in the matchday programme for the game against Burnham on the 14th.

It would tie in nicely with the fact a forumite's sponsored the match ball that day (hopefully Beano or Mick will do the matchday announcements that day, otherwise I'll do an anonymous tannoy announcement while mentioning the rugged good looks of the sponsor!). B)

Ed - but I thought YOU were sponsoring the match ball ;)

Edited by Keith B

Yes it's rather dull to keep looking at the forum most days and finding so few new posts :(

Edited by kevchenko

Keith, In some response to your post.

Last year the forum was "connected" to the club and therefor we had to censor certain things that were posted. I was even asked by a "member" of the club to remove a post i had put up saying that Hollis was fit to be in the squad for the weekend, because "clubs could use the info". I replied that i had got my information from a piece JL had put in the Staines and Egham news!!!... The post stayed, the "member" hasn't thank god!

feel free to post whatever you want, however you may have the "P" taken by others :D

FB - no probs with the 'P' being taken - I know its all in good heart and that the 'precious' person has now left. Look forward to seeing you soon.

By the way, who coined the nickname "Guru" and originally suggested the stadium name change on the previous Forum? Answers on a postcard. A pie to the winner. A further pie to anyone who can clarify an unanswered (I think) previous query about whether Scott Weight was still with us - sorry if I've overlooked a response to this.

Good luck lads for the Chertsey game tomorrow.