Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

H/T Hastings 0 Town 0

Can't help feeling we should have started with our strongest lineup; rather than leaving it 'till half time. By then 10 man Hastings had found some confidence and realised that they could get a point from the game.

I think Hastings is a smashing club to visit. Friendly bunch & great setting. Good Luck to them.

A couple of points that I think everyone will agree on.

Well done to Hastings for doing a collection for Nick. I think they raised the best part of 200 quid. Good work lads and lasses.

The referee had an abysmal game with his whistle seemingly glued to his lips, several needless yellows and a red card (against Hastings) given on the strength of the lino who must have been 40 yards away from the incident.

We defended well, two clean sheets on the trot is good - I thought their 9 caused us a few problems so a good effort at the back.

Another "safe" midfield selection with zero pace between the four of them. Poole is lost out on the wing, I can't remember him having a good game for us out there, but again when we moved him inside he got on the ball more and played some nice passes. Our central midfield was complete and utter gash in the first half. Watching ten man Hastings pass it through them was cringeworthy. At least this time we changed it at half time and amazingly (not) we looked a different side in the second half with a bit of creativity in the middle, a bit of pace out wide and a bit of strength in the middle as well.

Jay has not been at his best for a long time but he still seems an auto-pick. Hopefully we'll get Courtenay back and Cous will be fit for next week so we can get a bit more competition for places there - We do need our strikers to start firing again.

It was a big opportunity missed today, but we still end up a point better off than we started. Another tough game against The Plod next week - It's getting towards the home straight and we need to be brave in these closing games.

Edited by jl

Yep JL. As regards our team selection and performance, I can't add anything further. The question I think we all will ask is, "Will we learn?” We only appear to take on board some lessons during a game and not reflect on previous ones...

As for the officials...I think it fair to ask someone at the Ryman League and the FA if they want the game at our level to flourish because of late, the officials can only be described as idiots who appear to have one instruction. Book as many players as you can for minor offences so we can collect massive fines...and while you're doing that, prevent the game from being the least bit entertaining. It's almost a "Traffic Warden" mentality. Yesterday’s game was not dirty and certainly didn't warrant the amount of yellow cards the twat in the middle dished out...but also, he was determined to kill the game with the constant use of his whistle...and he hasn't been the only one. People want to stop and think about the reason why the non-league game isn't was well supported of yore and look to the poor quality of match officials ruining the game. With constant stopping of the game, this season, the officials had been a factor in diminishing the game further as entertainment and thus diminishing the value of entertainment. For myself, with us top of the league, I should be enjoying this season but take yesterday as an example, after the first half of hearing the constant blowing of the whistle, I was ready to walk out and wait in the car after a further ten minutes of more of the same in the second half.

And the thing is, I can't single that particular ref out...they all do it. As for the FA's fair play "Respect" campaign this season, I am struggling to see what there is to respect. Perhaps we should match the FA's "Fair Play / Respect" campaign with an "official" Ryman supporters "Jim Henson Wouldn't Even Employ You" league table for match officials...

Edited by GazzaBTFC

Gazza,something has to be done about the refereeing in this league.I said nearly the same yesterday.I am supposed to be enjoying the best season for years but I am walking out of games infruriated by officials and yesterday burys cheating antics of screaming when tackled,waving imaginary cards in the air and players running 60 yards to try to get a player sent off.The referees are clueless to stop any of it and instead are ruining games by giving yellows then reds for the most ridiculously soft challenges

Ahhh...yes...Bury's play acting...Should've warned you about that one...

Well, it's a problem and I am beginning to believe the FA and the supportive leagues administration have a part in it. Councils try to levy charges on the public that can be accused as stealth taxes and the football administrations appear to be doing the same to the sport with the extortionate amount of yellow cards being dished out by inept and incompetent officials.

I can only speak from experience but, was our game against Hastings a dirty game...I didn't think so, so it didn't warrant the amount of cards "awarded" by the referee...

But and here is the worst of it, in my opinion. His constant blowing of his whistle, stopping the game whenever a player went down (and he wasn't even consistent as he ignored a few - perhaps we should be grateful for that mercy) went some way in spoil what could've been an entertaining game...

But I can see the argument coming the other way...If clubs employ a "play acting" strategy, how is the ref supposed to tell the difference between that and a genuine injury? Yesterday our striker got booked for "play acting". Fair enough he had gone down a couple of times earlier but the incident that brought the yellow, he tripped and didn't make a fuss...didn't roll about and didn't cry out...just got up, turned and went to walk away... and the ref booked him. So what about the players rolling about as if they have life threatening injuries that are magically healed by a sponge and some cold water? This must be the only sport where the healing powers of that treatment are recognised for apparently life threatening physical injuries. Perhaps the NHS should send some of their administrators down to watch a game or two. If they employed it, we'll probably cut the NHS bill by billions!!!

It's all part of what I see is a growing problem. The game has been spoiled by players (teams / clubs) trying to gain an edge by play acting (I don't care how PC I am supposed to be...it's called cheating and what kind of example is that to set the young people of today) and inept officials that allow it (supported by the organisations that run the game by the fact that they employ these idiots to run a game for 90 minutes).

There is also the financial considerations to keep in mind but if I continue with that point, I may run into some other issues....but consider the costs to clubs of our size and do the math on the impact of having these idiots lose, in charge of a game is having on the costs of running a club to maintain its current level.

Will it get better? I doubt it. Whatever the issue, from regulating clubs financials (how much debt are Premier League clubs allowed to carry? How much is one man worth to play 90 minutes of football, twice a week? ) to introducing new technology, to setting examples on how to behave in society, the sports administrators are out of touch with those of the ordinary supporters. The same supporters that yesterday donated to a collection for a player that finds himself seriously injured even though he never played for the club. Thanks to Hastings and their supporters for their donation for Nicky Morgan...I think that in itself speaks clearer than any words from the politician’s and administrators of our game.

Edited by GazzaBTFC

I agree about the referees not being able to tell the difference between play acting and real injuries.

Our centre half was sent off yesterday,didn't think either was that bad a tackle but the rolling around obviously convinced the referee it was,along with howels of derision from the home fans (it seems to be the case recently that when a club is on a ropey bit of form the fans seem to scream blue murder for every challenge),me being biased they may both of been yellow cards but to roll around and then lay in agony for a minute or so before running off surely suggests play acting,surely the referees should after the incident be able to say to the player,you conned me,heres a yellow???

You can understand Hastings being chuffed with what was, for them, a battling 0-0 against the league leaders.

That Free-kick stat is interesting; as is the imbalance in the card count.

...That Free-kick stat is interesting; as is the imbalance in the card count.

Taking a watching brief from afar it seems the same comments about the playing style of BTFC are being made regularly...so there would seem to be some substance to them. Instead of blaming the officials perhaps it would be better to look a little closer to home.

Taking a watching brief from afar it seems the same comments about the playing style of BTFC are being made regularly...so there would seem to be some substance to them. Instead of blaming the officials perhaps it would be better to look a little closer to home.

Way off the mark, there, Nat. The suggestion is that poor quality officiating is ruining this level of football for the paying spectator; not that it's ruining our chances of promotion. Afterall, we too could roll around on thye floor abd surround the referee if we chose to. But we don't, and I'm pleased about that.

I don't see what it was about my statement

That Free-kick stat is interesting; as is the imbalance in the card count
that makes you think I was ruling out, in your words, "looking a little closer to home". That's exact;y what I was suggesting! If the refs are going to be easily conned, or go into games with ill founded pre-concieved ideas about 'Ricays "physicallity" based on a lot of sour grapes elsewhere, we're going to have to learn how to deal with that.

...If the refs are going to be easily conned, or go into games with ill founded pre-concieved ideas about 'Ricays "physicallity" based on a lot of sour grapes elsewhere...

There you go...blaming everyone else for perceived injustices...all the refs are against us...no-one understands us.... Do you deny that the team's style of play errs on the side of physicality and 'directness'?

I agree that Nat has got the wrong end of the stick on this thread.

I go to watch football to be entertained, whether it be at the highest level or non league level. For the first time in many years Billericay have a squad of 'big' players and they are no longer prone to being out-muscled by the opposition. This results in many opposition players resorting to the 'going down antics' as perfected by Bury Town and others.

I do not condone 'dirty' players and referees must deal with them, but equally they must deal with the drama queens and con-

artists that are ruining the game. I agree with Gazza that refereeing standards have fallen, not only at this level but right the way up the pyramid. It has NOTHING to do with the performance of my teams, win lose or draw. Refereeing is not easy and I will always applaud a referee who has had a good game. They are usually the ones who try to make the game flow and resist flourishing cards left right and centre - sadly they are few and far between.

On a positive note- hats off to the Hastings fans for their collection yesterday - I know they are a decent bunch from previous visits there and it sounds as though their team deserved the draw - lets hope they stay up

On a positive note- hats off to the Hastings fans for their collection yesterday - I know they are a decent bunch from previous visits there and it sounds as though their team deserved the draw - lets hope they stay up

A very welcoming club and a fantastic effort with their bucket collection.

Nat, not sure what you mean by "blame" or "injustice" in the context of this thread. Think you may have missed the point, or do you mean someone taking the "blame" for falling attendances across the league? Or the "injustice" of 'ricay being top of the league, with a pretty good set of stats ;-) Nor am I sure what your definitions of "physicality" and "directness" are, but Blue Pilgrim deals with that point well in the post above.

I can't be bothered to trawl back through the threads but I'm pretty sure that the general feeling is that we have no one to blame for dropping points at Hastings & Tooting other than ourselves. But that doesn't stop us discussing the standard of refs, or the player antics of teams struggling to keep up with the leading pack (I'm looking at you, Bury!).

As I said before, a lesser club may take an "if you can't beat them, join them" attitude. I am pleased that's not the case with us and we continue to stay on our feet.

It's amazing the level of animosity that having a few tall lads in the team attracts! We should have done it years ago. They'd have been apoplectic at Tonbridge!

I like most was pretty disappointed with the display Saturday, we just dont seem to be clicking as a team at the moment and a few heads seem to be down, which is crazy as we are still looking down at those below us.

I felt the starting line up was far too cautious when playing a team struggling against relegation and feel that if we want to win this league ( which I still think we can) then a more confident team selection has to be made by Craig.

Couldn't agree more with the standard of refereeing I have seen this season. The problem however does also cover managers who direct their players to roll around on the floor at the slightest touch which gives the referee a terrible job working out what really is a foul. Don't get me wrong the ref on sat was whistle and card happy but the performances displayed by some of the Hastings players were quite impressive (goaly getting holding his face didn't receive any actual treatment but was then fine once the card was shown) that the referee was bought. Such play acting is just becoming too regular and in my view players and managers have to question themselves as to whether this is how they want people to be entertained on a Saturday?

Anyway big game Sat and we are still top of the league so bring it on and lets get at the old bill from the off!!

Don't get me wrong the ref on sat was whistle and card happy but the performances displayed by some of the Hastings players were quite impressive (goaly getting holding his face didn't receive any actual treatment but was then fine once the card was shown)

It was actually quite embarrassing to watch him the first time but the 2nd & 3rd were just a disgrace he even laughed at the ref on the 3rd occasion and to make it worse the ref winked back at him. Makes ya wonder eh.

Still as mentioned were a big strong team and unstoppable when playing as a team.

Glad we don't have to resort to those tactics to get ahead, But's it's starting to get costly this RESPECT business.

Bring on the Blue on Blue game on Saturday.