Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Do you remember them?

I remember Bernie McConnell when he was with Milton Keynes, he topped the scoring charts with 31 goals in 1994/95.

However a more prolific marksman I can recall was Steve Drewe who was leading goalscorer in the South Midlands League on no less than four occasions between 1985 and 1992. Topping the charts in 1985/86 (jointly with R. Vale of Langford) with 16 goals for Milton Keynes Borough, the following year he was leading marksman with 19 goals again with Milton Keynes Borough. In 1990/91 he scored an impressive 51 goals for Wolverton AFC and in 1991/92 he was again leading goalscorer with 47 goals for Milton Keynes Borough. I also recall he had a brother called Dave.

We've had some prolific forwards joe Rowe in the 80's scored for fun, Ralph Perna scored hat fills from the wing, a player who has had spells as manager scored 18 or 19 one season from full back.

I remember Bernie McConnell when he was with Milton Keynes, he topped the scoring charts with 31 goals in 1994/95.

However a more prolific marksman I can recall was Steve Drewe who was leading goalscorer in the South Midlands League on no less than four occasions between 1985 and 1992. Topping the charts in 1985/86 (jointly with R. Vale of Langford) with 16 goals for Milton Keynes Borough, the following year he was leading marksman with 19 goals again with Milton Keynes Borough. In 1990/91 he scored an impressive 51 goals for Wolverton AFC and in 1991/92 he was again leading goalscorer with 47 goals for Milton Keynes Borough. I also recall he had a brother called Dave.

We've had some prolific forwards joe Rowe in the 80's scored for fun, Ralph Perna scored hat fills from the wing, a player who has had spells as manager scored 18 or 19 one season from full back.

played against both, had some great games between bradwell and winslow back in the day.

Gone but not forgotten, some of the clubs that I can remember from my time involved in the South Midlands League prior to it becoming the Spartan South Midlands League for the 1997-98 season.

Abbey National (MK), AC Delco, Addmult, Ashcroft Co-Op, Aspley Guise, BAC, Baldock Town, Barton Rovers, Bedford United, Bletchley United, Brache Sparta, Bridger Packaging, Brooklands, Bow Brickhill, Buckingham United, Clifton Old Boys, De Havilland, Dunstable Old Boys, Dunstaable United, Eaton Bray United, Electrolux, Emberton, Flamstead, Houghton Town, Ickleford, Inter City, Knebworth, Leighton Athletic, Letchworth Garden City, Lucas Sports (also known as Rotax Sports), Luton Old Boys, Mercedes Benz, Milton Keynes Borough (also known as Milton Keynes), MK United, Mowlems, Old Dunstablians, Pirton, Potters Bar Crusaders, Sandy Albion, Scot, Selby, Shefford Town, Shillington, Towcester Town, Vauxhall Motors, Waddesdon, Walden Rangers, Waterlows, Welwyn Garden United, Wiltonians and Wolverton AFC (also known as MK Wolverton Town),

The following clubs have progressed to higher leagues having gained promotion from the South Midlands League.

Arlesey Town, Bedford Town, Biggleswade Town, Leighton Town, Oxford City, Potters Bar Town, Thame United and Wingate & Finchley.

Played against or watched the vast majority of them. Great list containing some top top sides who would give anyone today a run for their money. Some $hite ones in there too! Vauxhall Motors in there I knew they had a side and a bloody one. Am I right in thinking North Crawley (MK) had a side for a few seasons? MK City, Shenley and Loughton missing from list. Does anyone out there claim a full house with those teams? inclusive having watched, played for, played against

41 for me !! i did play 17 years in the south mids , old git

Edited by Boodie

This is quite interesting from The Cold End's excellent Blog, a programme from 1983 between Milton Keynes Borough and MK City:

http://thecoldend.blogspot.com/2010/03/classic-programmes-mk-borough-v-mk-city.html

played against both, had some great games between bradwell and winslow back in the day.

Mark Watkins another prolific striker for us who signed for Marlowe and everyone went to watch him play at White Hart Lane in FA Cup. The Drew's were twins and Steve was down at our case game reminiscing about getting kicked about by my old man, I'm sure a lot of players can say the same lol. Great games against Bradwell I remember watching as a kid.

Thanks WB - wasn't 100% certain they were twins so went with the brother to be on safe side.

I also remember Ralph Perna from your club.

Great player should have been a pro as should have nando his son

OD - I had forgotten Toddington Rovers, they should have appeared on my original list.

Of course they played in red and white stripes didn't they. Drive past where they used to play a few weeks ago. They had a good side

Black and white stripes.

OD - I had forgotten Toddington Rovers, they should have appeared on my original list.

Of course they played in red and white stripes didn't they. Drive past where they used to play a few weeks ago. They had a good side

Black and white stripes.

Did they're away kit have red in it then? I can remember the stripes for sure.

Black and white stripes.

Did they're away kit have red in it then? I can remember the stripes for sure.

You have got me on that one. Will have to ask our 1st team manager, he played for them.

My old record books show their change colours were All Blue

Karen - I bet you've still got all the old Rothman's Year Books gathering dust in the attic, go on admit it

Karen - I bet you've still got all the old Rothman's Year Books gathering dust in the attic, go on admit it

Never brought any and I don't have an attic - so wrong on both counts

Edited by Karen Browne

Never brought any and I don't have an attic - so wrong on both counts

Thats alright Karen, Rhodent doesn't have a house. Keeps his decades old collection of programmes in his annexe cardboard box.

i must have played against you then, either for shenley or New Bradwell. I think we pipped you to the league 1 title by 1 goal, cant remember what year.

That would have been the first season of the merger (1997-98)

Spartan South Midlands League South

1. New Bradwell St Peter - P 30 W 21 D 5 L 4 GF-GA 86-30 Pts 68

2. Tring Athletic - P 30 W 21 D 5 L 4 GF-GA 84-30 Pts 68

I know steve and dave drewe very well and were very good players, so quick. I also know BIG Bernie, but a quality striker that won this league with Bradwell Darren Lynch

i must have played against you then, either for shenley or New Bradwell. I think we pipped you to the league 1 title by 1 goal, cant remember what year.

I know steve and dave drewe very well and were very good players, so quick. I also know BIG Bernie, but a quality striker that won this league with Bradwell Darren Lynch

That's a name I've heard before. I saw Bernie smash a the bar from the halfway line over at Shenley also saw him take a peno which crashed the bar a came down in the next county lol. A lot of excellent players from that era, I wonder if you could pitch those sides against ones from today what would happen....the ref would have to ref it 80's style though haha

That's a name I've heard before. I saw Bernie smash a the bar from the halfway line over at Shenley also saw him take a peno which crashed the bar a came down in the next county lol. A lot of excellent players from that era, I wonder if you could pitch those sides against ones from today what would happen....the ref would have to ref it 80's style though haha

biased maybe but now that i am managing i would say 80s/90s would win hands down

I'm sure there is a lot that would agree with you. Have heard a lot of people say over the years that the standard 80's early 90's was very high. Lynch is managing Neport Pagnell now eh? Taken over from another quality striker of that era in Shrievesy who seems to be doing the biz at Crawley Green