Fans Focus - Non League football clubs
Sign in to follow this  
Claret&BlueUrchin

New England Manager?

Simon, Roy Hodgson led Fulham to 8th in the Prem a few seasons back. Any manager who can do that is a good club manager :)

Steve Mclaren did not jump into the job either, he was no. 2 to Sven for a good while in what was the best recent period for England with a few quarter final appearances.

I'm wondering though whether Avram Grant could be the best person to jump in and take charge of England for the Euros. Even though he's not English, he did well with Israel, apparently finishing 3rd in the qualifying groups for Euro 2004 and World Cup 2006. He could do as well as Sven or maybe better.

Yes, he's an underrated manager is old Avram, at club level too. A Scholes red card (and maybe Ferdinand too) and a Terry missed pen from the double himself rather than Sir Alex in '08.

Re Roy, Wiv - and the Europa League (still UEFA Cup then) final! I think a temporary manager for the tournament would be OK, then a full-time appointment. Sir Alex took over the sweaties for the '86 World Cup, remember (not that he did very well, but still...), while still in the Aberdeen job (he joined Man U in November that year).

Anyone would get my vote, as long as Scholes isn't in the team I'd support the team and the manager against anyone (and I include Germany in that)

Not disagreeing with you ant, Hodgeson is a good manager, but he built his reputation as the manager of Switzerland and didnt do too much at liverpool. I just think hes better suited as a national manager. As for mclaren, some number twos make it, some dont and i dont think he did too well for england as manager. Pearce has worked as the England u21 manager for a while which i thinks will give him a big advantage in the future.

One number 2 who definitely did make it is Joachim Low, what a job he's doing for Germany (though you could say he did the tactics even when Klinsmann was manager)

On that theme, how about Klinsmann (if you consider non-Englishmen) if/when he leaves the USA job?!

Chris Hughton? Brum beating Chelsea 1-0 atm

First black England manager that'd be, which would mean he'd break two barriers - he was the first black Ireland international.

(Don't suppose England's first - Viv Anderson's up to much at the mo?)

England's first black captain could do with a job too - Incey?