Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Damian Spencer

Don't Blame Me

Saw this on line today. Has anyone got anything to say? I believe the cut off date for registrations is 31st March.

http://www.windsorobserver.co.uk/sport/windsorfc/articles/2012/03/23/58219-windsor-linked-with-exbristol-city-striker/

Edgware top of the table and unbeaten at home, Windsor with no fit first team strikers available so draft in a 16 year old who had only just started playing for the reserves as you had to be 16 or over, bang bang bang 3 goals and the scouts from other clubs start flocking to Stag Meadow. Still think West Ham would have been a better option but Bristol City's youth progression had a very good name at the time so he went there for no fee as you can't put 16 year olds on a contract. Yes we did play a pointless friendly against them which raised nothing and I believe Kevin did manage to get a couple of thousand pounds from them shortly after but if you look at players progressing to pro clubs nowadays it's normally £20k upwards - the days of a free kit and a friendly are thankfully long gone !

Paul G, I think Dennis was our manager but his brother Dave may have played for the opposition.

He was 16 when he played for us previously. Prior to the 9 or so games in the first team (many of which were substitute ones) he played half a season or so for the reserves. Even at 16 his talent was for all to see and his physique at 16 was more like a more mature striker: big, strong and very well built with cracking pace. Once he was given a first team start, he scored a hat-trick away at Edgware (who were towards the top of the table) and from that game scouts from all kinds of clubs flocked to Stag Meadow and he signed for Bristol City a few weeks later. I remember we had a friendly against them the following pre-season as part of the deal, but if I remember rightly we were unable to put him on contract because of his age and thus didn't get a fee for him. He scored at Wembley during his career but can't recall if that was for Bristol City or Cheltenham in one of those football league finals, similar to what Chesterfield won at the weekend.

Windsor Sec we were talking about that friendly at the weekend, and by all accounts, Bristol City that evening had two games, the first team away at Windsor and the reserves away at some conference club. Their website thinking the first team would obviously be playing the conference game put that down as the first team game. As a result all of their supporters went to that game and not to Windsor. It was Bristol City's first pre-season game and so brought all of their big new signings to Windsor Akinbiyi was one of them, but as you say was pointless as none of their fans were there which meant next to no gate revenue for us!!!

I think Bristol City had just been promoted to division 1 (championship in new money). I think their other big name signing at the time was Tony Thorpe who also played in the game against Windsor.

As Geggy said I'm pretty sure most of their fans ended up elsewhere (maybe Hayes?) believing the first team to be playing there and not at Windsor.

I can only assume this is about options for next season as we already had more strikers than we need right now imo.

In my opinion I can't see Damian [or Chenns and O'Toole for that matter] playing at Level 5 next season so it's more a 'now' thing than for the future. George, Kyle, Ellis, Laz and Ben are the players of the future for Windsor !

I can only assume this is about options for next season as we already had more strikers than we need right now imo.

In my opinion I can't see Damian [or Chenns and O'Toole for that matter] playing at Level 5 next season so it's more a 'now' thing than for the future. George, Kyle, Ellis, Laz and Ben are the players of the future for Windsor !

Well seeing as you are part of the club I respect your (and of course Keith's and Jim's) opinion far more than my own (!) but I just cannot see the point of having 6 or 7 strikers in the squad at this point of the season unless it is to evaluate "suitability" for the next campaign...

I wasn't reading anything into it at all.

I just don't see the point of Spencer being a "now" signing because we already have a surfeit of strikers but he's been taken on for some good reason by people whose opinions I respect.

As I do yours whether I agree with it or not.

He may of done that, but for a 6 foot odd big unit he moaned and whinged at every decision that went against him, I would of preffered him to stay on.....

I think you will find Keith may have taken him off to save a red card your side were quite obviously trying in to earn him as every time he challenged for the ball about 3 or four players were at the ref every time for the foul!!!!!!!!!!

Em so HTFC.

You got him out of your pocket whilst winning one nil or after he had laid on the equaliser? Successfully having him removed before the referee did so based on your sides moaning about DS, you then lost 2-1 and you were sent off?! As for O Toole doing nothing all game - that clearly wouldnt include scoring twice, shutting down the back pass and getting a penalty awarded or as they are better known- the primary aspects that changed the game. Good decision!