Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What a great Season!!!!!

Smudge

Another very good thread you've started, Smudger.

Just read through it.

A lot of constructive conversation and one or two, (usual), distructive comments.

I'd just like all Clubs to give their long-suffering, un-paid and usually criticised volunteers a big pat on the back.

Those who make sure the match runs smoothly; opponents and guests are welcomed....

Those that go to the ground in the p1ssing rain to meet a referee for a pitch inspection......

The list is endles.

It's just a great shame more people don't get involved with the clubs that they say they support, rather than moan, groan and generally pick holes without lifting a finger to rectify the situation.

Edited by Big J R

Unfortunately too many chose not to and rely on TV 'experts' and pundits whose knowledge is sketchy to say the least.

Totally agree with this point, the amount of times the Sky, BBC and ESPN pundits clearly do not understand the Laws of the Game is staggering. This has the effect of incorrectly informing the viewer whom then thinks he knows better than the Referee at our level as Alan Hansen said it so it must be right.

Amazed that at the moment with lots of decisions in the Premier League undr close scrutiny that an ex referee is not present to help explain why a referee took that decision.

Unfortunately too many chose not to and rely on TV 'experts' and pundits whose knowledge is sketchy to say the least.

Totally agree with this point, the amount of times the Sky, BBC and ESPN pundits clearly do not understand the Laws of the Game is staggering. This has the effect of incorrectly informing the viewer whom then thinks he knows better than the Referee at our level as Alan Hansen said it so it must be right.

Amazed that at the moment with lots of decisions in the Premier League undr close scrutiny that an ex referee is not present to help explain why a referee took that decision.

Because that would not make good telly !!!

No Referee would like to defend the undefendable,they are a closed shop.Take this scenario a Player punches a Player off the ball,not seen by the Ref.The F.A rep sitting at home watching SKY SPORTS sees the incident.The Player is then charged retrospectively by the F.A.banned and fined.However a Ref makes a howler,that costs Clubs millions,is he Banned or Fined NO.He may even be rewarded by Officiating at a Champions League game a few days later.Do you get the gist.There are Laws for them and different ones for the masses,not unlike the Police in many respects.

Edited by Smudge

I like you smudge and get on well with you but that is nothing short of a load of old rubbish you spout. And this is confirmed by Ace's post who has nothing good ever to say about officials.

Lunch Time

SF - good post! Pithy and to the point.

Smudge - whilst referees make honest mistakes (and in many cases will admit having done so) and do not seek to blame others for doing so, how many players do the same?

By way of comparison, I would put money on a referee making fewer mistakes in a game (that is contrary to the LOTG) than players doing the same.

For reference, appointments to European games will be made by UEFA and not the FA and often in advance of a referee's game within the latter organisation's league or cup competitions.

DN

It's not meant to be productive as two wrongs don't make a right more to add balance to some of the other comments on this subject. However, I do qualify I it by saying contrary to the laws of the game (LOTG) as what players and others often view as a 'mistake' by the referee is actually him / her correctly applying the LOTG.

Fining match officials?

I've really heard it all now.

In a manner of speaking, they can be 'fined'....

That is to be demoted or removed from the list !

You roll out the same old Chesnut Gluck,many of the Players do not get paid, Officials do.Clubs are paying for a Professional Service.Which in my opinion as stated in post 1 of this thread,has been better this year,than last in the games I have watched.But when one,wants to see improvement,you come across as mightier than thou.Like Meweys post,does not happen often in games,so lets hope he responds with the correct outcome.Us mere mortals do not know every law of the game,but the arrogance shown,is what we sometimes see on the pitch by Officials.

smudge have you been drinking at lunch time ? More utter tosh.

Professional Service ? No you do not you pay for someone whose hobby it is and you pay for the cost of them to get to and from the games and for their kit. So dont spout sh1t about it being a Professional Service.

Mightier than thou. I think you will find that comes from players. they want a foul on their mate who gets pushed but when you give the same against them they moan.

I know how to pass a football and the LOTG. Perhaps if I didnt know how to kick, head or tackle it would give me the right to go around moaning at every decision a player makes during the game like quite a few players think it is acceptable.

As I have said before and will say again there is a problem. for me it is getting worse. BOTH sides need to sit down and actually come up with some serious ideas that will help. Some good ideas have come around. Why dont clubs openly invite local referees to come and do some pre season with them. Let the FA invite club reps to IST's held for referees. Clubs invite referees to your club to explain law changes and to take questions on the Laws. will any of that happen no. Bloody refs fault for that.

When a referee defends a fellow referee it is them being high and mighty. when a player or fan stick up for their club when under attack it is all part of football and that is what should happen. why the difference ?

Now pipe down and keep off the lunchtime ale.

Gluck

There are also plenty of examples of referees not having a comprehensive understanding of the LOTG.

Many assume they do. I am always interested to discuss decisions after a game and often find out intricate LOTG I wasn't aware of. Usually referees are very open and honest with their interpretation of the LOTG and often I change my view. However there have been occasions where the referee is clearly incorrect and stick to their view out of principle. This is my biggest frustration.

Overall I think the standard of man management of the referees could improve. However it's very rare that the officials are the main reason we lose a game. As previously stated,all players and officials are doing there best and it's good to enjoy a beer after the game and move on.

Smudge

I'm all for the improvement of standards of refereeing but equally i'm all for the improvement of standards of those who are often critical of them. By the latter I mean greater knowledge of the LOTG, understanding how those are applied and providing constructive criticism using the appropriate means to do so.

Others in this thread, notably Observer 89, and myself in other threads, have detailed how the assessment and promotion / demotion of referees by the FA is undertaken within the CCL so that those outside of refereeing circles understand that poor performance is not condoned but is addressed with remedial action(s).

I make no apologies if I come across as 'mightier than thou' on an internet forum as I would say the same thing to you in person and have done so after a game this season!

DN

I understand the cause of your furstration and I agree that man-management is an area which can always be further developed. However, it's not something that can be fully learnt from a book but is rather something that is developed over time through age, experience and maturity and, in some cases, it's an inate quality reflected through an individual's temperament and personality.