Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Clapton Manager

I use a number of forums and agree or disagree with participants on them. My opinion is that currently the ESL is not very strong or well run. Hence I have described it as 'Tin Pot'. Nothing would give me greater satifaction than to see the league prove me wrong and for the FA to help make both the admin and playing standard stronger. They could do this by re-jigging the leagues. My opinion of the current league should in no way impact my participation on the forum. I watch enough games to have an opinion and mine is that currently its not that good!. I appreciate there is a group on this forum who are both defensive and sensitive to negative views on the ESL or their group of 'pals' but that is the way it is . We all have different views and opinions.

As on previous threads the FA is looking at 're-jigging Step 5' at the start of 2013-2014 season

I personally agree that the standard isn't what it once was, but that can be said for the Ryman leagues as well. To call the ESL 'tin-pot' is an insult to those that give up a lot of their time to be involved, and I am one of those people.

Would you say Witham, my club Burnham & Takeley were 'tin-pot' because I wouldn't. All of these clubs have facilities and people behind the scenes that should be in the Ryman league.

Ask Kimble @ Witham on how hard it has been to win the league this year, albeit they have done it by a wide margin

A Forum is what it is and anyone can pass comment I just don't recall SW making too many positive remarks about the ESL

Hey Mr Jenko, most managers take their backroom staff to clubs. Why did you not follow Mr Justin to Aveley ?

Non of your business.

Mr Jenko, you are right it is none of my business, but i thought I asked a civil question.

You take yourself too seriously. This is a public forum & you are one of the senior posters from an Essex league club. Some friends tell me you are not very good & others tell me you are perfectly qualified to work at a Ryman club.

To carry the water bottles !

Sorry - hopefully this is a first then- Takeley are very well run and thru the efforts of a great chairman Pat Curran have made educated and sustainable steps into step 5. The support is great and as someone who goes there you are made to feel welcome. Takeley are a very good model for other clubs wanting to step up to step 5. I believe Takeley are not far off the Ryman they have a good manager as well.Burnham likewise and they have a great secretary in Mr Pugh great pitch and have developed the club superbly. Great bar as well - another decent model. Witham again great set up as they have proved this year . Three good examples of clubs getting ready to progress. These are the clubs the ESL needs, clubs that are trying to improve. As someone said elsewhere the ESL should be the senior step 5 league to all Essex clubs not have them going elsewhere . The ESL does have some clubs to be proud of but equally there are some both on and off the pitch who pull the reputation of the league down. I do think the standard overall is not as good as it has been . This is not helped by the recyclying of the same managers and players. New blood in both positions will freshen the league up. Nevertheless, for this to happen the ESL and FA need to take a long hard look at the number of games played the commitment required etc..perhaps two divisions (to include other Essex Step 5 sides or new step 6 when the county have it!) . I have nothing against the league but do against its overall current state.

SW - good points the problem you have is that, and I think this is across all leagues, is the commitment levels required to play at Step 5 level. I class myself lucky that I have a group of lads that are willing to give up their time 2-3 times a week for 9 months for NO financial reward. Other teams are in the same boat and finding players to do this is hard.

Money does help if used in the right way, but it can cause problems. But this is a subject for another thread & another time

The ESL does have clubs that are not run as well as others but let's be honest without some of these teams we would be playing 22 league games and what would that achieve ???

I think the FA are looking into this and with the ideas from their first meeting we could see a feeder league to a Step 5 Essex league with more stringent rules on who can & can't enter the league, (ground grading etc)

But until this is finalised we have to play the cards we are dealt and get on with it as best we can

Anton, bet you can't wait to get started :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey Mr Jenko, most managers take their backroom staff to clubs. Why did you not follow Mr Justin to Aveley ?

Non of your business.

Mr Jenko, you are right it is none of my business, but i thought I asked a civil question.

You take yourself too seriously. This is a public forum & you are one of the senior posters from an Essex league club. Some friends tell me you are not very good & others tell me you are perfectly qualified to work at a Ryman club.

To carry the water bottles !

Hilarious.....well done.

I agree with Keith. I'm fed up of people saying the ESL is s**t, the grounds are s**t, same players/mangers blah blah blah. Some of you should put your time, effort, commitment and money where your mouths are. Get involved at a non league club, step 5 say, and see the work that gors on behind the scenes. Then I think you'd appreciate the time, effort and committment people make at these clubs you think are tinpot! No small amount of money either!

Sorry - hopefully this is a first then- Takeley are very well run and thru the efforts of a great chairman Pat Curran have made educated and sustainable steps into step 5. The support is great and as someone who goes there you are made to feel welcome. Takeley are a very good model for other clubs wanting to step up to step 5. I believe Takeley are not far off the Ryman they have a good manager as well.Burnham likewise and they have a great secretary in Mr Pugh great pitch and have developed the club superbly. Great bar as well - another decent model. Witham again great set up as they have proved this year . Three good examples of clubs getting ready to progress. These are the clubs the ESL needs, clubs that are trying to improve. As someone said elsewhere the ESL should be the senior step 5 league to all Essex clubs not have them going elsewhere . The ESL does have some clubs to be proud of but equally there are some both on and off the pitch who pull the reputation of the league down. I do think the standard overall is not as good as it has been . This is not helped by the recyclying of the same managers and players. New blood in both positions will freshen the league up. Nevertheless, for this to happen the ESL and FA need to take a long hard look at the number of games played the commitment required etc..perhaps two divisions (to include other Essex Step 5 sides or new step 6 when the county have it!) . I have nothing against the league but do against its overall current state.

I think the playing standard in most leagues has reduced over the years, maybe to do with the restructuring a few years back when you lost Ryman 3 and 2. Or maybe it's a cultural thing where young people can't be bothered playing sport anymore, especially if it means for little or no money with alot of committment involved.

I think i'm more than qualified to comment here on the ESL. As someone who watched my Dad play in the 70's, played in the 80's & 90's & coached, managed & scouted in the 00's. The standard has dropped dramitically over the years. It is bloody hard work & the ones who make it hard work are the players usually. For a Step 5 league the gap between top & bottom is too big. I would probably only class Witham, Enfield, Burnham & Takeley as Step 5 clubs with the rest being the same standard as Ridgeons

Div.1.

In some cases, some players have been of a

very poor standard. Add to that some bloody awful officials & you can see why some people can't get enthused about it. Hopefully the restructuring might liven it up a bit. I'd like to see SSML clubs like Hertford Town & St. Margaretsbury join up with relegated Teams like GWR & Ware.

I would add BGU to that list Syd, whilst Justin was in charge during the 3/4 months around the FA Vase run. Other than that I agree.

I think one of the bhiggets issues is labelling the leagues as 'counties'. Maybe they should be Great London League East, West, North, South etc or just have a sponsored name. That way you could even the leagues out in quality without the issue you have in the ESL of non essex teams playing in it. I don't think has or would affect the level of players but would at least make leagues more competitive. Just a thought.

Jenko, I can assure you I know what goes on at Step 5 clubs and EOFL clubs . I have put a considerable amount of my money in over the years managed and played at them. I am not knocking those that put the effort in , Woodsy certainly does that , I admire them but my point is clubs cannot live on the past. Not refreshing clubs will ultimately cause a problem. An example- during this season Pat Curran sacked Don Watters. Don had been round years done the local circuit (EOFL at Cossors etc ESL at a few clubs) and had the same players follow him. Pat appointed Steve Castle , refreshed some of the admin support and different players came over (some from local ESL rivals) and retained others but it changed the club . People on this forum made noises about how bad Don had been treated etc etc ...but in my opinion the decision has proven to be the right. Next season Takeley will start of as one of my favourites for promotion. Takeley have a very loyal group of helpers but I remember playing there when they came into the Olympian and most of the then much smallervillage turned out! ...the club has planned and progressed . I am sure they have the same issues re commitment but they have planned for it and deserve to be applauded. I am sure there are other clubs in our league who feel the same. My issue is that if clubs cannot survive at Step 5 level then be honest with themselves and drop down. The league should be full of clubs wanting to progress like Witham who I think will do very well in the Ryman. Recycling the same managers etc is not showing progression its just a personal view and not a dig at anyone who works week in week out at a ESL club. Many who must question each saturday if its really appreciated and worth it. Just noticed your latest post regionalising it is a great idea but I doubt the control freaks at the county FA's will let it happen!

Edited by Stop Whinging

A sensible debate starting!!! LOL. SW did you see the other thread I started where I higlighted all the managers in the league? It showed that contrary to what is being suggested the league has a mix of mangers - new, young ones to the scene, some familiar ESL faces and some new to the ESL but with experience of other leagues. I would suggest that is common in all leagues and doesn't affect the quality of the ESL. I think it is more complicated than that.

I think i'm more than qualified to comment here on the ESL. As someone who watched my Dad play in the 70's, played in the 80's & 90's & coached, managed & scouted in the 00's. The standard has dropped dramitically over the years. It is bloody hard work & the ones who make it hard work are the players usually. For a Step 5 league the gap between top & bottom is too big. I would probably only class Witham, Enfield, Burnham & Takeley as Step 5 clubs with the rest being the same standard as Ridgeons

Div.1.

In some cases, some players have been of a

very poor standard. Add to that some bloody awful officials & you can see why some people can't get enthused about it. Hopefully the restructuring might liven it up a bit. I'd like to see SSML clubs like Hertford Town & St. Margaretsbury join up with relegated Teams like GWR & Ware.

what the fck??? you're a manager you cant blame the players,you've got to do everything to keep them happy,buy them tracksuits,sweep the changing rooms up after them,take the stick for them not paying their fines,listen to their excuses for not training and why they are leaving after one match,as a Manager you really shouldnt be coming on here daring to criticise the precious players.

Haha very good Basil. The biggest problem i found was getting contact back from players. In this day & age it has never been easier. Mobile phones, texts, e-mails & Facebook etc yet on a Friday afternoon i was always chasing around to find out players availability because they had not responded. It use to be simple when i played. You found out you were playing at training on the Thursday night. If you weren't there you wasn't playing or you were in the ressies.

Getting them to games had it's own problems as well. Too many lads don't drive now & trying to get everyone there on time was a nightmare.

So much easier for me now. I never have no problems getting myself to the golf course on time !

; - )