Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Anyone seen Dave Silk recently?

Could any of the 'elder statesmen' at the club please help with a case of forgotten identity?

I've received a message on the Bognor forum as follows....

"I've only just joined this Forum and I think I've worked out a couple of members. Are you Eddie with the booming voice ? (no no no, surely a case of mistaken identity!)

I'm Dave Silk; I used to do a gate and stewarding and stop and talk to you sometimes. Sadly I don't frequent the Lane anymore, must be about 6 years + now since I've visited. I go to Godalming Town now as its only 8 miles away from me at Haslemere and an occasional visit to Fleet Town. I've always looked out for you whenever I've been at a fixture involving Ashford Town Mx incase you where around."

I've got a memory like a sieve these days. Could someone remind me what Dave looked like and whether you've seen him at any recent away games? Thanks.

More Defective Dan than Detetctive Dan, but nice try! ;)

Ah, Pete Howes, the safety officer, the man who once refused to stretcher off an injured opponent because he was one of the away team! Pete was a laugh - good bloke.

Still, back on with the search for old Silky....

Pete Howes is indeed a nice bloke with a sense of humour. His lad Simon used to play with my Liam for the U14s etc under the management of Paul and Adam Bessent.

I will always remember Paul being sent from the stand by the referee after a spell of abusing George Borg (against Borehamwood, I think) with his memorable booming welsh accent.

Young Simon was a nippy striker who started too many games from the 'bench' in my opinion and was always cheery and polite when praised for good play. Always said 'thank you' - rare these days.

At one time, Pete had pretty long hair, though thin on top. One of my lads gave him the nickname Sid, after the character in the opening scenes of Arnold Schwarzeneger's film Last Action Hero, when he (Sid, not Pete) was swinging an axe trying to decapitate a young lad on the roof of a tall building.

Happy days.