Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

New Guy on the Block

Hi all!

I'm happy I found this website dedicated to non-league football in the UK. I work as a pastor in Singapore (where I was born and raised.) and football has been my sport since childhood.

My favourite team is Birmingham City - something that makes me one of a rare breed of fan here. Most Singaporeans gravitate towards Liverpool, ManU, Chelsea or Arsenal or some other big team. In fact, even though we have our own professional league here (the S-League), our local teams don't have nearly as big a following. Because we are a small island with a good transportation system, we've lost the concept of our "local team" that folks in the UK enjoy. Also, we've had British football shown on our TV stations for a very long time - albeit mainly Premiership and the old Division 1. That makes it difficult for guys like me to watch BC matches whenever they aren't in the top flight.

So how on earth did I find out about non-league football? My favourite computer game is Football Manager (been playing since CM3) and I almost always end up managing a team in the conference. Because of some of the realism in the game, I've come to appreciate that non league football is a different ball game altogether (pardon the pun!). I am also a regular listener of the BBC's Non-league Football Show which I download as a podcast weekly. Through the show, I've gained further insight into the challenges in non league football. But I am also drawn by how "earthy" it is. I think non-league is where you find real football being played. And I think that's awesome!

So here's to all ye who support non-league football! Cheers!

Susheel