Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Airport runway thread

Swifty

** PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS AN OLD THREAD**

Beano can't access the forum from work, but he's phoned me and asked me to inform EVERYONE there'll be a photo shoot at the club at 6.30 TONIGHT relating to the breaking news about the airport expansion. The local paper will be running a story in this week's issue.

ALL SUPPORTERS are welcome to turn up and join in.

I hope to be there, I just need to change a prior engagement with my wife which could be tricky!

Good luck with the fight against the plans, this Kwasi Kwarteng sounds like a right pillock and needs taking to task for this. Acting in the best interests of the people? He should resign immediately if he has any dignity!

If you want to do a petition, then this link http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/ is HM Government's E-Petitions site. Get over 100,000 signatures and David Cameron will HAVE to debate it in Parliament.

Get as many people onside as you can, including candidates from other parties (Labour, UKIP, Independents etc.) to voice their opposition to these plans and do not go quietly. Remember the old saying 'evil flourishes when good men are silent.'

Dr Kwarteng will not resign, although we are already kicking up an almighty stink! The photoshoot went well, with a number of local residents who don't attend games present and we have started to forge links with the Residents Association.

However, this battle might have to fought in other ways than the purely political as Spelthorne is one of the safest Tory seats in the country... for now.

I love that saying you quoted at the end... anyone who knows me will know that I don't really do "silent"! I'm about to upload a podcast that features a really forthright supporter view on this. The only question is the name (which will be picked from the song titles in my iTunes). Do I go for "Village Idiot", "Professional Suicide", "Crawling With Idiot" or "The Aeroplane Song"?

A pint at a match to the first person who can identify three out of the four artists who recorded those songs without the use of Google, YouTube, search engines or Wikipedia by the way...

Good to hear that action is being taken, Beano.

One thing that people further afield in Staines and Runnymede need to consider is that if this goes ahead, THEY will be impacted upon as well.

I cannot see the genteel folk of Staines tolerating something which will upset their way of life. It'll curdle their cream buns, what what!

As for Kwarteng (he sounds like a Farenghi off Star Trek..) if he's deemed a 'loose cannon' then DC will chop him. The Tories have enough on their plates with the bankers and their credibility sliding... they don't need one of their own letting off a stink in a safe area. Anybody rocking the good ship Bullingdon will walk the plank.

I've heard that UKIP know about this, and they are supporting the campaign against Dr Kwarteng's proposals (not sure if Labour will, though any reason to kick the Tories...) Anyway, the non-league world is backing Ashford Town (I even saw mention of it on Malvern Town and Gloucester City's Twitter earlier!) so you're not alone!

Thanks to Beano and others for the information about last night's photoshoot which I missed for reasons I will not share, for fear of boredom.

I think it is a fine point made regarding the local MP signing up to a proposal / suggestion that has fatal impacts for his own constituency and neighbouring ones - both in and out of Greater London. If he was my consituency representative, he would not get my vote next time or forever. Without making this a political comment, suffice to say he is clearly an utter fool, seemingly keen to commit political suicide. I wish him well in that objective.

Thank you to Gareth for providing links to relevant documents, some of which (not ours) are very short on detail or intellect. Does anyone know "Dr Who"'s home address. Seems like a perfect location for the next load of dung. He seems happy to speak it and sign up to it.

If there is one positive potential side affect, it is the engagement with local residents in and around Short Lane. Odd that this dishonest hypocrite of an MP appears to lack any political nous.

Let us show what a good, considerate neighbour we can (and I am sure, are) capable of being .

There's only one good Tory, and she has the surname of Cox, not Kwaseng.

• 1 month later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19394340 - if this will affect Bedfont, Spelthorne and Ashford (Middlesex) then I am dead against it.

Go and build it in Witney, in Dave Cameron's back yard - or let Boris have his way with a new airport in London (or upgrade City Airport?)

Sky News is focussing the discussion on Sipson, or Northolt, or Boris Island in the Thames Estuary.

Northolt seems a reasonable option in that there is an short airstrip already there, and one of the principal investments would be a rail link to LHR.

Difficult not to be seen as a NIMBY, but Sipson has suffered so much uncertainty over the years that I feel sorry for the ever-shrinking band of owner-occupiers in that fine village, and seeing vacated properties used as short-term lets. Time to end this blight with some definitive all-party statement.

My intuitive guess would be that the document that the treacherous Spelthorne MP put his name to and talked about wiping out Stanwell is the least likely option. How dare they propose re-locating those beautiful grey tanks, that we have all come to know and love?

FOOTNOTE TO ESSO: please leave my cheque behind the clubhouse bar - plenty of noughts after the initial '1' will be appreciated.

Dr Kwarteng backpedalled so fast his shoes may have caught fire. He told the local paper "it's not going to happen and that's it".

Apparently the paper was meant to provoke discussion. Well, it did that... The club remains vigilant and will act as when action is required.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19475249

Justine Greening out because she doesn't favour the new runway?

She may well have been fired because of her stance over the 3rd runway, but I hope not. Whilst I could not give a damn for the Coalition Government, interesting how some of the previously women high-fliers have been set aside. I think George Osborne's reception at last night's medal awarding ceremony at the Paralympics says it all. What a hoot!

In Justine Greening's case, it may be that her complexion worked against her - as Mr Speaker said, the "Ayes have Zit".

Seriously, though, any MP of any political allegiance, has my respect and support if they can be decisive enough to prevent the destruction of local communities in and around Spelthorne and Hounslow, and the blighting of people's homes to boot.

Boris may be as mad as a March hare, but "Get in there, Boris, get it up 'em"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19535359

Whilst Vince is there, it won't happen (so we all know who DC will try to get rid of next then....)

I cannot see any Party signing up to the 3rd runway as part of their next manifesto, but I do not trust many politicians. Easy for me to say, as I will have passed 60 at the scheduled time of the next General Election, and I'd rather trust a local politician than an MP.

I just feel sorry for the local residents and businesses who are affected by 'blight' because of the dithering of the Government. Sipson is one example of a village where people are seeing less home/property ownership and more short-term lets, courtesy of opportunist landlords / and letting agents.

Archived