Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Socks & Tape

Talk_Is_Cheap

Obviously I knew this rule was coming in at the weekend........but I'm still baffeled as to why this has been implemented..as if the Refs at our level don't have enough to worry about..!!

On Saturday we had dark blue socks, and I mean dark blue, so most of the lads used black tape...which unless you stood 2 yards away, you could not tell the difference..

When leaving the changing room the Lino was sending everyone back in....it wasn't until player power resulted in a massive "Were just gonn walk passed you" did we manage to make our way to the pitch.

I don't know who makes these rules up...but seriously......are we gonna have to get our dulux colour charts out and get down the DIY shop......

Its the refs I feel sorry for the most....talk about gives yourselves another headache..!!

I know mate, it's a bit like the under-shorts some players wear, even when you can't see them unless the player lifts up the leg of his shorts.

Common sense needs to prevail.

I think it is important to remember the referees are not to blame though. They are probably just as frustrated as the rest of us with regard to such rules.

Players shouldn't wear tape it can cause serious injuries.

Difficult to remove in an emergency too, particularly on a cold day. Also restricts blood flow to the foot.

Players shouldn't wear tape it can cause serious injuries.

You a hypochondriac.........Nuts......Injurys in your auto sig, worrid about tape Injurys.......

Players have been wearing tape for years and I have never seen a serioys injury because of tape......in fact there will probably be more injurys going forward because the refs will be more worried about the colour of the players tape than the knee high challenge he has just put in.....

Dont get me wrong, I agree with Smallsy, its not the refs fault and they are gonna get the brunt of this but who in the FA sits there and thinks these rules up.........

And surely it cant be because its dangerous, or does only the wrong colour tape cause injury..!?!?

Talk is cheap given I have spent the last 3 years trying to get over a double break then I will put you right on a few things. The surgeon who done my full recovery was the same surgeon who done djibril cisse 2nd operation after his horrific leg break. If you tape both the top of the shin and the ankle as commonly found then you are 12 %more likely to suffer a broken bone when tackled in direct contact with the shin are. The reason for this is because tape causes a tight non flexible area that has no flexibility and also is who you never see pros wearing it ....

Talk is cheap given I have spent the last 3 years trying to get over a double break then I will put you right on a few things. The surgeon who done my full recovery was the same surgeon who done djibril cisse 2nd operation after his horrific leg break. If you tape both the top of the shin and the ankle as commonly found then you are 12 %more likely to suffer a broken bone when tackled in direct contact with the shin are. The reason for this is because tape causes a tight non flexible area that has no flexibility and also is who you never see pros wearing it ....

I hope your recovary keeps going well and you are soon able to kick a ball again...even if its just for fun..!!

However, whilst I dont want to give myself the kiss of death.....even if it does increase your chance of a leg break by 12% it still means it was 88% tackle, and my point was, that it makes the refs job harder than it already is by having another 'petty' rule to worry about.

Secondly, this can not be the reason why the rule was intriduced as they have not said "No Tape" they have said it has to be the same colour.

Finally, did you not see the Man City games the other week where Silva had to come off and change the colour of his tape? So pro's do where tape and in addition, Ronaldo constantly wears tapes. If that increases your chance of a break by 12%, and he is valued at say £50m it means Real Madrid are taking a £6m risk everytime he goes out on the pitch...so I'm sure thats not the case..!!

Anyway, I hope you get better soon, its a horrible injury and wouldnt wish that on anyone

I spoke to ref on Saturday after game and he said it was to make it easier for linesman when calling offside, in situations where just players foot is the difference between on or off side. Apparantley assistants have found it difficult when team wearing white socks play, because the white tape makes it difficult when making decisions.

• 1 month later...

So almost two months into the season and this is frustrating the life out of me. Not the actual rule/law, because love it or loathe it it's pretty straight forward. It's the constant inconsistancy in applying and upholding it. Last weekend was an example of almost every fixture this season to date. The match official approaches me and asks whether I am aware of the law about sock tape and undergarments. I tell him I am and then all the playeres are checked. One of the lads is told to either change or take off his undershorts as they are a different colour to the kit shorts, and another is told he can use his shinguard support as long as it's underneath his sock (again because the colour is different). No dramas. Then we get outside to play and the opposition have a a number of different coloured tapes and undergarments on show, and nothing is done. I don't really care that they have, but I do care that a thorough check has been made on my side about what we are wearing, but not for the opposition.

Enforce it or don't, but do so for all.

Archived