Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

i think we STILL need a new striker

mr c gull

on 14 sep last year i started the thread U THINK WE NEED A NEW STRIKER well not much has changed

from then,we couldn,t even have a striker on the bench on tuesday due mainly to injuries i think,so where do we go from here

because we don,t look like we are going to threaten the play offs this season

I think everyone at the club recognises that we need a striker to hit form, whether it be an existing member of the squad or a new addition. Hopefully Louis Dennis will have some positivie productivity whilst on loan with us, but it's another player that needs a game or two to gel with the team.

We currently have three strikers, who aren't running at 100% due to injury, (assuming Eddie Hart is injured? Four if you include Leon Gordon), so my question is how many of the reserve team squad are registered to play for the first team? We had a vacancy on the bench Tuesday night with our most attacking option coming from Mitch Gilbey. How was it that a player like Ronnie Winn or Jaspar Read weren't given the chance to fill the space? We were saying the same thing a few seasons back about Ellis Skidmore and I believe our current reserve team strikers are of a better ability at a younger age.

Fair enough with the way Whitehawk played any substitute may have had little impact, but I thought it was all about building experience by being allowed the odd ten minutes here and there and in another game it will make the difference.

He didnt do too bad last night, fantastic hat-trick and there's more to come from this team. Louis Dennis had a great game last night, The Futures Bright, The Futures Yellow :-)

A decent performance all round last night and a cracking third goal from BWG, hopefully the team is starting to settle after the ins and outs. Seem to have some good depth in midfield with Dobbo, Kingy, Hawes and Curren missing plus eventually Gammo to come back.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure that we need any more new players - maybe the ones we have need to 'gel' a bit better. How many times do you see a superb build up only to see the final ball going into a space someone should be in ! Not being a manager I don't know if they practice that kind of thing ? But I do remember the 'well known' West Ham training manual had loads of set pieces that everyone in the team is supposed to know . Is this style now old hat and they just allow the players to think on their feet ?

Who knows ! But I do know that the team are not currently playing as well as the sum of their parts.

I'd agree with that. I can tell that Tilly is frustrated that he only has one night a week to train the players now that the the midweek matches having become regular, so I also think it's a bit of an adjustment on his part from what he's been used to previously.

I felt Saturday was a very good performance, let's hope can continue in this form tonight. My only concern is that I thought Dobinson was superb on Saturday, yet as we know he can't play tonight due to work.

Think we really missed Dobbo last night. Could have done with him in midfield last night when Chesham started to boss the game in the second half.

I think Dobinson would've been an integeral part of last night's team. He is definately the type of player we were missing. I felt dropping Louis behind to front two, to head what looked like a 'diamond' midfield was a huge gamble by Tilly, but given the circumstances I'd say there weren't any better options available. Chesham found plenty of space in that hole and were allowed to just run at us. As Glen says the goals weren't particularly because of the lack of strength in midfield, more to do with the defence not being able to cut the wide ball out at the first man. We played some lovely football at times, but definately missed Louis playing up top.

Just an observation given we've had all these midweek games recently, but it does seem that a couple of players are tiring quickly out there, particularly those like King and Dumas, that have played in the Essex Senior Cup and League Cup fixtures. Ideally I think I would rather see them rested against teams like Ilford and the upcoming fixture against Waltham Forest.

I understand Tilly was a annoyed at the lack of fitness when he came in . But its very difficult with semi-pros .They need to do fitness in their own time so the training is about methods and tactics . I wouldn't be surprised if some players don't want to do the fitness stuff in un-paid time.

One thing I seem to notice more is the lack of anticipation . Does it just look like that because they are afraid to make an incorrect move because they then get a roasting for it ?

Oh well, I think we need to start concentrating on the league as we could end up in the bottom half soon.

Archived