Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Truro City - hang in there

Top Cat

Nobody in their heart of hearts wants to see a club suffer like the way Truro and Kettering have.

Yes, there are reasons they got there, but in both cases it is the fault of the idiots in charge when the problems arose (Kevin Heaney and Imran Ladaak) and not the fault of the fans.

That is like saying Leeds United fans are all hooligans, just because one failed abortion attacked Chris Kirkland on Friday night.

The FA need to act to solve the problems of clubs going under, otherwise the whole pyramid will topple one day.

When clubs reap the benefit of spending money they don't have, and leave their creditors to try and pick up the pieces then IMO they deserve to go bust because they are cheating the properly run clubs (like Billericay) out of possible promotions/cup runs etc.

Fans wouldn't really suffer as they can always go and watch someone else play.

But they don't reap the benifit, all they get is a forced, short, greed driven, ride,

Go watch someobne else??? I think our simple friend's outcome (long term) is much closer to the real deal.

West Ham are allegedly 60 to 100 million pounds in dept yet they still somehow buy multimillion pound players who command massive salaries. They seem to be reaping the benefits from financial mismanagement, and are probably still attracting fans away from clubs like ours. That to me is cheating.

Alan, when a club dies part of its community dies with it as well.

One of my friends and health food suppliers lives in Rothwell, Northamptonshire, and she was a fan of Rothwell Town. She even sponsored a few of their players, and truly loved the club - it was part of her and she shared in the joys of great wins and commiserated with the players if they lost.

Rothwell got into major trouble two years ago, and now the club is all but dead. They plan on a return next summer at Step 6, but nothing is certain.

Yes, she could always go up the road and support Rothwell Corinthians, but why should she? Town is her side and her love.

If Arsenal got wound up tomorrow, I would not support our nearest neighbours! Whilst I like Chelsea, Newcastle and Villa I support Arsenal and have done since they played Benfica in 1991. Watching that game with Elvis Costello err Elton Welsby and seeing what a great side they were (Seaman, Dixon, Adams, Davis, Pates, Rocastle, Winterburn, Merson, Limpar, Campbell, Smith) sold them to me and I've supported them ever since. I have been to Highbury and The Emirates - have to say nice as The Emirates is, Highbury was better imho. More atmosphere and more special. I could not imagine life without them, yet I know it could happen and I trust Kroenke and Usmanov as far as I could throw them. Same with Gloucester, I wouldn't support Cheltenham if Gloucester went nipples up.

West Ham are allegedly 60 to 100 million pounds in dept yet they still somehow buy multimillion pound players who command massive salaries. They seem to be reaping the benefits from financial mismanagement, and are probably still attracting fans away from clubs like ours. That to me is cheating.

They hope to off-set the debt by selling Upton Park for housing and moving in to the Olympic Stadium. The council will own it so no debt (just like when Manchester City moved to the now Etihad Stadium).

I may be reading between the lines, but control of the ground seems to be behind everything that's happened to Truro. It will be interesting to see what happens to it going forward.

Kevin Heaney wanted to sell Treyew Road, in order to get a new 'Stadium For Cornwall' ground-sharing with the Cornish Pirates RFC.

The Pirates did not want to move from their Launceston home, nor get involved with Heaney, and the council didn't back Heaney's plans.

Edited by The Mayor Of Simpleton

Kevin Heaney wanted to sell Treyew Road, in order to get a new 'Stadium For Cornwall' ground-sharing with the Cornish Pirates RFC.

The Pirates did not want to move from their Launceston home, nor get involved with Heaney, and the council didn't back Heaney's plans.

Isn't Kevin Heaney a property developer? I would assume that if Truro goes under that he would somehow profit from the sale of the ground even though he's bankrupt. I think some investigation needs to take place.

Have to admit not knowing the facts about it though.

I have sympathy with that view but at least they havent entered adminstration like many. Also they are servicing the debt in the same way that Man U and Chelsea are servicing theirs. Actually along with a great deal of clubs.

Lot's of interesting points here. The argument that clubs "spending beyond their means" is effectively cheating is flawed. Risk-taking for potential future rewards is what drives us forward. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't; those who regularly make it work are succesful; those who fail learn lessons for the future but those who are risk averse always get left behind.

Why should Football be any different?

I'm all for the occasional entrepreneurial character getting involved and giving the fans a ride to remember. Yes, if it goes wrong creditors take a hit, but that's another risk that they have decided, on balance, it's worth taking. If it turns out to be disasterous to a creditor it probably means they haven't managed that credit risk very well.

What a boring, sterile world it would be if every decison taken was the "safe" option.

The problem is people/investors promising a club the world on a plate, and delivering very little.

I could approach a club today and offer them the chance of success, but without hard capital and sustained investment over time it's not going to happen.

The problem is people/investors promising a club the world on a plate, and delivering very little.

I could approach a club today and offer them the chance of success, but without hard capital and sustained investment over time it's not going to happen.

Never understood the use of the word "investors" in relation to football clubs. The reality is that occasionally someone comes along and throws loads of money around, the club become successful for a time, and when the money runs out they end up being vilified by all and sundry.

Or they take out loans and saddle the clubs with huge debts (as was the case at Cardiff under Sam Hammam).

Lot's of interesting points here. The argument that clubs "spending beyond their means" is effectively cheating is flawed. Risk-taking for potential future rewards is what drives us forward. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't; those who regularly make it work are succesful; those who fail learn lessons for the future but those who are risk averse always get left behind.

Why should Football be any different?

I'm all for the occasional entrepreneurial character getting involved and giving the fans a ride to remember. Yes, if it goes wrong creditors take a hit, but that's another risk that they have decided, on balance, it's worth taking. If it turns out to be disasterous to a creditor it probably means they haven't managed that credit risk very well.

What a boring, sterile world it would be if every decison taken was the "safe" option.

I think I preferred the sterile world of old, when bank managers were respected members of society, people lived within their means, and being in dept was considered shameful.

I'm with you on that, Alan, if only we could go back to times when your professionals (bank managers, teachers, policemen, doctors, nurses, priests etc.) were all respectable members of society and people lived within their means.

It makes me laugh that my neighbour has recently taken out a £25,000 loan and says 'I'm no longer in debt!'

Budgeting should be taught in schools and made compulsory imho.

Anyone who gives credit to a football club is mad IMO

The risk is too high.

Ok,if a particular creditor has had a stable working relationship with the club for years then its fine.

In business though you should always check who you are giving credit to,how some football clubs get credit is beyond me,it's almost like the relevant business saying "we need the money and will take the risk" it's a big risk to take.

More and more clubs are finding their way into trouble as the pressure increases year after year from supporters,nothing is done about it by the authorities,ie the Fa and various league bodies,every year the risk to creditors increases.Yes it's a tad unfair to the majority of clubs but out of the majority,a few every year end up getting sucked in eventually,unless something is done by the authorities to regulate football this will only get worse,making it a risk business.

At the moment it is only the few but each year that few seems to increase.If clubs can virtually spend spend spend knowing they will probably end up with administration as the worst thy can get,the is just the tip of the iceberg.

I agree its getting harder, but I would say that's because of the burden put clubs, not by players or fans, but by "the authorities" It just cost so much to run a club these days.

Love them or loathe them, but I think we can all agree that Braintree is a well run club.

I was speaking with their chairman just a few days ago, and here's something he told me that just typifies why its so difficult and expensive to operate a club these days.

In order that Braintree can continue to compete in there current division, they have had to spend in excess of 100k increasing their ground capacity to 4600, yet there biggest gate has been 2000. and they average less than 1000, he said on most match days they now have 6 turnstiles closed instead of the previous 4.

We can all relate to that, it seems ridiculous to me that clubs are forced into spending huge amounts on totally unnecessary items and services.

There will always be badly managed clubs, but those aside, the main difficulty now days is finding the funds for all the "other costs" You can only cut wages, or increase prices so much, once that limit has been hit where do you go?

If the authorities could come to a realistic ground requirement, that both met customer comfort and safety, whist still being relevant to gate figures, then that would be a massive help.

Edited by The Town Crier

Agree,although the difficulty with gates is that a club can get 300 one week then 1200 for a derby a few weeks later.

Gates also vary depending on how a team does throughout the season saying that,some of the things I hear clubs have to have in place are a joke,I think all clubs have to have a tunnel or enclosed walkway onto the pitch,the is ridiculous for us ad other clubs a complete waste of money.

I think I preferred the sterile world of old, when bank managers were respected members of society, people lived within their means, and being in dept was considered shameful.

People or organisations choosing to live within their means is fine, but borrowing to fund an enterprise is not a modern concept and should not, in my opinion, be classed as "cheating".

In order that Braintree can continue to compete in there current division, they have had to spend in excess of 100k increasing their ground capacity to 4600, yet there biggest gate has been 2000. and they average less than 1000, he said on most match days they now have 6 turnstiles closed instead of the previous 4.

We can all relate to that, it seems ridiculous to me that clubs are forced into spending huge amounts on totally unnecessary items and services.

So who is making those rules? Aren't the competition rules set by representatives from the constituant clubs? Or are their some out of touch grandees dreaming them up?