Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Red Kites

My best ever sighting of a red kite this morning, by the roadside on the A602 at Bragbury End, just on the ege of Stevenage. Was scavenging about 5 or 6 feet above the ground in full view - magnificent sight!

My best ever sighting of a red kite this morning, by the roadside on the A602 at Bragbury End, just on the ege of Stevenage. Was scavenging about 5 or 6 feet above the ground in full view - magnificent sight!

Lucky you, I was in Brittany three years ago where there was a small population of them, and I was about the only person that never got sight of a single one. Did you get any snaps of them?.

I'm told that there are now TWO pairs in the Box Hill region this year.

I haven't seen one for a couple of years now.

There are a few birds knocking around Surrey

There is I believe a pair in Mid Essex

Norfolk has a few pairs,saw one bird the other day,

Northants,Cambs,Leics has the a rockingham birds,not long now before they pretty much all overlap.

Berkshire,bucks,beds,Oxon,Herts all have breeding birds now

Saw the Stevenage one again this afternoon - but this time in the town!

• 6 months later...

Our youngest daughter who lives 200 meteres up the road from us has had a pair circling over her house.

Unfortunately, her neighbour 2 doors away keeps racing pigeons,

However, she has been putting chicken remnants out at the bottom of her garden on top of her pergola, and the more adventurous of the pair happily takes it, even with our daughter standing in the garden by her back door not 20 meteres away !!

Having now spoken to a local 'bird-man-in-the-know', I'm told that there are three juvenile red-kites in the woods, south side of Dorking near Leith Hill.

It assume the one I see daily over our estate is one of these and seems blissfully un-fazed by humans, which worries me a little.

Edited by Big J R

I see in todays Saturday Daily Mail magazine that the new series of 'Spring Watch' will be following a nesting pair in someones back garden.

Now glad to see they seem to have no worries with humans.

Mind you - Until you see one up close, (15 feet or so, in my case), you just don't realise how big they really are !

• 2 weeks later...

STOP-PRESS.

I've just heard an unconfirmed rumour that a local farmer has, in the last few days, shot the three juvenile red-kites that have adopted south Dorking as their territory.

Youngest daughter and myself are trying to investigate further !!!!

Probably good news.

Whilst gardening this aftenoon, I spotted first a female kite circling for food approximately 150ft above our house.  She moved slowly towards Boxhill and I then spotted another red kite much higher than her and circling at around 300ft.

Impossible to say if this is the Boxhill pair that E E saw recently, or the juveile pair to the south of Dorking, but I do feel a bit better.

Some absolutely fantastic footage of red kites on  'Springwatch'  last night.

To see so many at that feeding station in Wales was brilliant.

Had one circling over my house (Hertford) on Saturday afternoon. Magic! Was accompanied by a much smaller bird that might have been a kestrel.

More than likely mate

Thanks Rob. Was out cycling this morning near Watton at Stone when a buzzard circled overhead at about 20ft. Never used to see buzzards but since the red kites came I seem to see buzzards too.