Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

A proposal was put to us (Horley Town) a couple of weeks ago. The proposal is for us to play on a Friday evening (12th April) with another CCL team playing on the Sunday of the same weekend. We have discussed this with our players and committee and we have agreed to the proposal. I don't know if the other team have yet agreed to play on the Sunday.

It will mean players taking time off work and may also mean some regulars cannot play but i think this is preferable to going on a Tuesday?

Edited by FSB

Thanks should go to HTFC for agreeing to this. Hopefully the Sunday will not prove to be too much of a problem to the other club. For our upcoming FA Vase match, I note the visiting team are in and out the same day (Sunday)

I am sure if you were Top of the Table,you would not agree to this.Why should your Players lose money to accomodate others,Guernseys take on Home Games must be in the region of £7000,let them do the decent thing and compensate Players loss of earnings,at a minimum.Interestingly No PLAYER who could be affected by this has commented on this thread,I wonder why?Likewise do not forget the OFFICIALS have they agreed to this.

Thanks should go to HTFC for agreeing to this. Hopefully the Sunday will not prove to be too much of a problem to the other club. For our upcoming FA Vase match, I note the visiting team are in and out the same day (Sunday)

Only done this I have been told,so that they get a share of the £7000 gate receipts.Which will be more than the prize money on offer.Shrewd thinking.

What about 10:00 - 10:30 kick offs on Saturdays with Rugby being played later in the day? Having the Rugby on after the football can't be an issue, its not like it matters what condition the pitch is in.

On almost every week till then end of April when the Rugby is at home GFC are scheduled to be away. Even GFC can't be in two places at once ;)

i say kick them out of the league they keep winning everything anyway its just not fair ;)

surely they can have the pick of the island to accumalate two teams so they play sat an sun over a weekend ? it would only be for catch up once this is done go back to normal!!?

Is there any reason the games have to be played by a certain date I.e. can GFC play the rest of their games after the season has technically finished? It's not like there are playoffs or anything to worry about.

From memory, there is a set date that the FA require games to be played by (early in May i think). I recall Lazarus telling us last year that he had the first May bank holiday available to schedule outstanding games, but I think they all had to be done by the following weekend. I assume it will be similar for this season, so i'm guessing there's only 1 or 2 additional Saturdays after 27th April that could be utilised (plus the May Day Holiday Monday?).

I think the reason for the deadline is due to the FA having to redo all the leagues across the country, so they need to know who qualifies for what.

Another possible issue with Friday/Sunday double headers late in the season, what happens if we have a wet spring? This could lead to 3 or 4 games having to be rescheduled at a very late stage. Good luck Lazarus, don't envy your task!

Only done this I have been told,so that they get a share of the £7000 gate receipts.Which will be more than the prize money on offer.Shrewd thinking.

They had little option Smudge. Vase rules dictate that ties that cannot be played on the scheduled Saturdays have to be played either on the Friday or the Sunday and that if teams cannot mutually agree then they have to play it on the Sunday. They would receive a 50% share of the net gate receipts whichever day it was played.

Beg to differ Alan,could of played Friday night,which would of required an overnight stay.Plus Players having to lose pay,for leaving work early.The overnight stay costs would of then been taken out of the Gate Money.Don't think Farnham received money,from their Vase trip.Easy for Horley to comply to a Friday request,they are only 10 mins from Gatwick.NO LOSS OF PAY?

Beg to differ Alan,could of played Friday night,which would of required an overnight stay.Plus Players having to lose pay,for leaving work early.The overnight stay costs would of then been taken out of the Gate Money.Don't think Farnham received money,from their Vase trip.Easy for Horley to comply to a Friday request,they are only 10 mins from Gatwick.NO LOSS OF PAY?

Not easy for all of us,as some of us in the team work nights.

But with at least 4 months notice we will do what we can to get the strongest team possible there. The ones that are committed will be there.

Wht not help them out they are a nice Club with nice people isnt that what non league football is about???

After all they are the best team in the league in my opinion anyway and I hope they get promoted.

4 months? so have all the other Teams been contacted, who have had their game lost for one reason or another?Was this a League led initiative,or Club to Club.If it is Club to Club why does the League have a Fixture Secretary thought he was the person to allocate fixtures.

So its a win / win situation. Both sides get more money from the net receipts (assuming a similar size crowd) Opposition players don't lose pay (unless like me they work Sundays :( ) plus they don't have time to blow that pay enjoying Guernseys famous night life. Only down side is having to play on a pitch that has had the egg-chasers churning it up the day before

This is only my observations, not an answer to the problem, but all this talk of lost money and time off work - doesn't anyone get annual leave with their jobs. Playing at this level shows great commitment for something the players are obviously keen and passionate about - so is it really too much to ask players to take a days leave just once in a season? I would imagine that the Guernsey players and management must use up a lot of their annual leave to play midweek ( or even weekend ) matches. I understand that not everyone will be able to travel, but I am sure most will, after all it is well documented that the Guernsey midweek team is not as strong as it's Saturday team. If you have a team in your league, then surely you want to have as level a playing field as possible for ALL teams, and if games are lost to weather ( beyond anyone's control) or due to progress in The FA Vase or FA Cup ( which should surely be celebrated) then I think it would be unfair to penalise any team in that situation be it Guernsey or any other team. As I say these are only my observations, and it could become a problem, which I am glad I do not have to solve - I only hope whatever method is used it is FAIR to EVERYONE.

im all for guernsey but its there problem regarding pitch an called off games why should it impact on anyone elses lives ie taking annual leave this isnt the premier league i have two kids an i like spending my time with them on annual leave.

I am sure if you were Top of the Table,you would not agree to this.Why should your Players lose money to accomodate others,Guernseys take on Home Games must be in the region of £7000,let them do the decent thing and compensate Players loss of earnings,at a minimum.Interestingly No PLAYER who could be affected by this has commented on this thread,I wonder why?Likewise do not forget the OFFICIALS have they agreed to this.

Why should it always come down to money? You always want Guernsey to pay for this, that and the other. As one other poster has said clubs should have known there was a risk in midweek games. Of course everything should be done to aviod this, including Guernsey already offering to play two matches in less than 48 hours.

Where in the rules does it say GFC should compensate clubs/players?

Just cause GFC pay all the travel expenses does not mean the club are rolling in cash. They have already had two matches called off when the visiting team had already travelled. Yes I know they knew this was a risk when they entered.

Edited by HKP

Isn't this the norm on Vase matches?

Edited by HKP