Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

im all for guernsey but its there problem regarding pitch an called off games why should it impact on anyone elses lives ie taking annual leave this isnt the premier league i have two kids an i like spending my time with them on annual leave.

I totally understand where you are coming from, but hopefully this for you will just be a one off. In the UK as well as Guernsey we have had a wet summer and so far a pretty wet winter. So its not surprising so many matches have been lost to the weather.

This is only my observations, not an answer to the problem, but all this talk of lost money and time off work - doesn't anyone get annual leave with their jobs. Playing at this level shows great commitment for something the players are obviously keen and passionate about - so is it really too much to ask players to take a days leave just once in a season? I would imagine that the Guernsey players and management must use up a lot of their annual leave to play midweek ( or even weekend ) matches. I understand that not everyone will be able to travel, but I am sure most will, after all it is well documented that the Guernsey midweek team is not as strong as it's Saturday team. If you have a team in your league, then surely you want to have as level a playing field as possible for ALL teams, and if games are lost to weather ( beyond anyone's control) or due to progress in The FA Vase or FA Cup ( which should surely be celebrated) then I think it would be unfair to penalise any team in that situation be it Guernsey or any other team. As I say these are only my observations, and it could become a problem, which I am glad I do not have to solve - I only hope whatever method is used it is FAIR to EVERYONE.

The diference is this. Guernsey as an island is behind its team and accomodate for absence. My boss does not give a toss about my football and NO I wont be using MY ANNUAL LEAVE during the week for a football game "at this level". these are only my observations. ;-)

Edited by Doorknob

Some bosses are accomodating but some certainly are not. As far as I know the players still have to make up the time.

Granted not far you can drive from one end of the island to the other in around 20 minutes. But they do not arrive back to the island until around 9.30am after a midweek game and catch the 2.30pm flight out so have to be at the Airport for 1.30, so its half a day plus an hour or two for every match. So far I think we have had five away midweek matches and around five more yet to be played.

You can't compare that though Smudge as the conditions required for a rugby match to be playable are vastly different to those required for a football match.

Water doesn't tend to stop a player running though it with the ball in their hands.

Smudge, Management of the pitch is not under the control of GFC as the club just hire the pitch and facilities.

Edited by HKP

Here's another observation.

The League members voted Guernsey in. Fine, no problem on that score. However, now they are part of the pyramid, surely the Ryman or Southern League members won't get a vote on whether or not Guernsey join their league, if as looks likely they will go up this season. The FA allocate wherever they feel is best. Probably just as well, really, as given a choice, I doubt whether either league would vote for Guernsey to join them, bearing in mind the extra logistics involved with having them in their League.

There's no way the FA can say "sorry chaps, you have to stay in step 5 because the step 4 leagues don't want you". Effectively, the Combined Counties vote set the ball rolling and it can't be stopped now until / unless Guernsey voluntarily left the pyramid, which I don't see happening in the near future.

A few months back I suggested the Friday evening / Sunday afternoon scenarios would be the best bet. They may not be ideal, but ultimately, there is no better alternative. Why should Guernsey play their rearranged matches away from home? They've had three actual home postponements (RPV, South Park and E&E), far less than Chessington, but do you see anyone telling Chessington to play their games away from home?

Yes the Friday/Sunday does involve a day's holiday for those playing on a Friday, but everyone has plenty of notice and it is only one day out of an allocation of at least 20 for most people, with the exception of the self-employed.

Our club most definitely want to play our rearranged match on the Island as we were going for the extra night and won't get all our money back from the hotel if we don't go. Instead of moaning about it, just deal with it. These games won't be rearranged until at least February and probably later so everyone has plenty of notice. And if you don't want to go, there will be others at your club who will.

This definitely needs looking into in the future though to ensure that there is far less chance of this happening next season, whichever league they are in.

Excellent post Fred. Very balanced.

I also recall that GFC officials travelled to London to meet with FA officials prior to being accepted into the CCL. I would have thought wet winters and possible promotion were high on the agenda. Last year I had an interesting chat to a FA Council Member that had been very supportive of Guernsey's application, interesting chap.

Edited by HKP

Well if Guernsey do not win the league then that is enough notice for next year. As for this season I still disagree that players at this level should commit to playing over there midweek and losing out on pay and annual leave regardless of how many days leave they gave. I think it is totally out of order that people should suggest other wise.

Be handy though for Officials,they could do the 2 games and earn double bubble.The proviso being they take their beloved ones with them.Do Guernsey have different Sunday Trading Laws to us,do Pubs open late.Who would volunteer for the Sunday game,not the many Churchgoers amongst us surely.

One thing that could be taken into consideration, on the whole at Steps 5 & 6, is an earlier start to the season and a winter break.

That said, with climate change (and knowing my luck when I open my big mouth) we'll probably have snow in the summer and a baking hot winter.

Im sure the situation will get worst as we havent even entered the worst Months of December and January yet.

But as Fred said the committed players will be there given the notice.

Also no dis respect to any other players in cc prem, but if you dont travel to Guernsey on the Fri,Sat or Sunday whichever is given most of you if not all of you will never get the chance to play in front of 1000+ supporters again.

I was fortunate to be in the League playing for Merstham against AFC Wimbledon and the 1000+ supporters was a great atmosphere.

Also perhaps Guernsey could arrange a ground share with Horley??? That sound great, as long as we can take all the gate money.lol.