Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What is the Solution? (Guernsey fixtures)

Smudge

In 1999-2000 we had to switch several games to opponents' venues to complete the season. We played home games at Worthing and Yeading (possibly somewhere else). We had to take our own programmes over to sell at these grounds.

We were a Step 3 club then too.

So today's game at RPV is off. Elsewhere clubs are switching fixtures to ensure games go ahead. Shame this can never happen....unless they groundshare with someone here on a part-time basis.

So thinking more on this....

Let's imagine that Guernsey could have an ad hoc ground-sharing arrangement with a club near to Gatwick, say Horley Town or Three Bridges etc. Instead of paying one lump sum in the thousands, they could pay a smaller amout on a per-game basis. This can obviously only happen when the host team is away - easy enough to control when both teams are in the same league.

So, Guernsey are away to Chessington & Hook whilst Horley are away to Camberley. Guernsey travel to Gatwick (unless the whole of South East England is under snow). If C&H say that their pitch is unplayable Sat morning, that should be enough time to get everyone including officials to Horley instead if their pitch is fine.

This could even work for Guernsey's home games. If on a Thursday, Footes Lane looks unplayable, and Horley/Three Bridges are away, the fixture could be switched. If it's too late for flights, could the ferry be used?

I understand that whatever way round it is, someone is inconvenienced but surely it's better to have this sort of contingency plan in place rather than the 'no plan b whatsoever' that's been in place this season. We are just as likely to have another wet year this year.

Any thoughts? Anything I've forgotten as to why this wouldn't help?

So thinking more on this....

Let's imagine that Guernsey could have an ad hoc ground-sharing arrangement with a club near to Gatwick, say Horley Town or Three Bridges etc. Instead of paying one lump sum in the thousands, they could pay a smaller amout on a per-game basis. This can obviously only happen when the host team is away - easy enough to control when both teams are in the same league.

So, Guernsey are away to Chessington & Hook whilst Horley are away to Camberley. Guernsey travel to Gatwick (unless the whole of South East England is under snow). If C&H say that their pitch is unplayable Sat morning, that should be enough time to get everyone including officials to Horley instead if their pitch is fine.

This could even work for Guernsey's home games. If on a Thursday, Footes Lane looks unplayable, and Horley/Three Bridges are away, the fixture could be switched. If it's too late for flights, could the ferry be used?

I understand that whatever way round it is, someone is inconvenienced but surely it's better to have this sort of contingency plan in place rather than the 'no plan b whatsoever' that's been in place this season. We are just as likely to have another wet year this year.

Any thoughts? Anything I've forgotten as to why this wouldn't help?

Some obvious thoughts Bom. If it's Guernseys away fixture - why should they have to pay for an ad-hoc alternative? Why would the home team give up home advantage just to accommodate the fact that GFC have flights arranged?

If it's GFC's home match - why would they give up the chance of 1000+ crowd later in the season when their mainland support is 50ish. Given the size & relative strength of their squad they are more than capable of playing 3-4 games per week if necessary.

Anyway, the sun is shining, Footes Lane is drying, and their luck has to be changing soon :)

Must say,that with much love shown to Guernsey on this Forum,why no Team has volunteered to go over Midweek,to play them.Another blank midweek for them does not do them or the League any favours.GF is quite right why play in front of 79,when you can get 1200 watching,a certain way to Bankruptcy.Clubs should do all they can to help this Charity out in its time of need.

I don't think you'll get any team volunteering to do that Smudge, it's extremely inconvenient and the team would probably not be at completely full strength. In addition, even if some clubs were thinking about it with Footes Lane in the state it was in, it hasn't really been an option anyway. If the League give us a midweek game, that is another issue, but you won't see anyone rushing to be first in the queue!

This is one for the clubs and the League to sort out. I am a little surprised that Guernsey haven't had some of their Saturday away fixtures brought forward to midweek though, as they could then host two Fri / Sun games on the island on the weekend their game was moved from. Having said that, many of those dates are now already allocated, so possibly the League has already covered that one. Once they start playing there again and we know what they are doing in the Vase, I'm sure things will become clearer.

As the weather improves, as it surely must, the Guernsey supporters are going to finally get value for money on their season tickets, and I see no reason for them to move games to the mainland. It will be busy, yes, and they will need their full squad available, but they'll get it done.

With the sun now shining, hopefully we will see some action at the Lane this weekend.

I am sure its all in hand. :)

It should be on the pitch instead (or at least around it!) :P

Lots of work being undertaken at Footes Lane today in readiness for the visit of Wembley.

34g66tw.png

Edited by HKP

Centre area still looks a bit 'iffy' !

However - Best of luck with all the work, (and expense !!)

Its not great, but its as good as can be expected after what has happenned over the last few months. Many hours have been spent on the pitch by C&L.