Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 3 Town 2

Swifty

A morale-boosting win, after recent results and Dan Brown's miraculous recovery from a broken toe midweek to sign for Wingate and Finchley. Sad to see him go, and not overly pleased that the club didn't tell us on the website or in the clubhouse beforehand, but at least Dan's gone up a division, though I'm sure the travelling won't be that easy.

I thought we were lucky to win against a decent Daventry team - a draw would have been fairer, but I'm not complaining. Jack's 9th minute lash home was already against the run of play and although Daventry didn't have many chances in the first half, they imposed themselves and were the better team before the break. When they equalised almost straight after the restart, I was bit worried.

Luckily, we stepped our game up and added some enterprising attacking to our already resolute defending. Joe Bennett's 52nd minute goal deserved to win the game, a wonderful 50 yard run down the right followed by an unstoppable 15 yarder into the top far corner. Could Joe be the new Dan?

When Jack headed his second in off the far post three minutes later, we looked to have sewn it up, but then Alex (harshly booked a few minutes earlier) upended an attacker in the box and the 59th minute penalty was tucked home. The next half-an-hour or so was nip and tuck, plenty of pressure from both teams. Both keepers had little to do but Kyle made one very good save, as did their keeper from a shot by Pietro - good to see Palla back at the club, he just needs to time his runs a half-second later to avoid getting caught offside so often.

Kyle let one effort go early on and it hit the post, but his distribution and long goal kicks were up to his usual high standard. Though not the stand-out player, Kofi improved after the break, won far more headers than usual and made one really good track-back tackle having lost the ball. We need more of that spirit from Kofi and, well, everyone, i suppose. Bairoh had another solid game in the middle and, in all honesty, no-one had a bad game and the subs (especially Bitz) played their part.

We just need to remember not to retreat back so quickly and in such numbers when a team presses, leaving virtually no-one in midfield to pick up the scraps, and we need to get tighter, leave less spce for opposition midfielders and forwards, and tackle more. Still cause for optimism, though. Joe looks worthy of a run in the team, and with the likes of Bitz, Perry and Samad on the bench, we have enough midfield and attack options to mix and match and cause problems for the 'oppo'.

Final word to the officials, who I thought were the best i've seen at the RPS so far this season.

A home win in the battle of the towns when Daventry visited Ashford this afernoon

An early goal on 9 mins when Jack Mullen fired into the roof of the net at the tank end following a corner....

That was the only score of the first half in which the visitors dominated most of the possession and territory whilst only troubling Kyle Merson on the odd occasion with two comfortable saves low to his right and a tip over the bar... Daventry had also hit the post early on when Kyle looked to be in control of the angle and left the ball.... Ashford pressed late on and had a spell of pressure before the break with a succession of corners that then sent the 75 spectators to the tea bar for some warm fluids on a chilly afternoon....

We were taking our second half positions when Liburd was given too much time and space in the box on 46 mins and duly equalised....

This seemed to spark Ashford into life and the game really picked up with the impressive Joe Bennett picking the ball up just inside the Daventry half on 52 mins and he drove on with the ball into acres of space in front of him before hitting a great shot past the keeper that he couldn't keep out despite getting fingers too..

3 minutes later and we were 2 goals clear when a lovely cross from Joe Bennett was met 8 yards out by Jack Mullen and he got his second goal of the game with a very good header in off the post...

On 59 mins Gould duly slotted home a penalty following a foul by Alex Duffy on the edge of the box and amazingly that was the end of the scoring following a good double low save at his near post by Kyle and a brilliant Pietro strike being tipped over by the Daventry keeper....

A close game very good second half and the visitors may feel a little hard done by to head back up to Northant's without any points but I think we just did enough to nick it ;)

A morale-boosting win, after recent results and Dan Brown's miraculous recovery from a broken toe midweek to sign for Wingate and Finchley. Sad to see him go, and not overly pleased that the club didn't tell us on the website or in the clubhouse beforehand, but at least Dan's gone up a division, though I'm sure the travelling won't be that easy.

You might be being a bit harsh there, Swifty. Since I resigned from the Board, I am still doing bits and pieces around the website and other matters (at least for now), but AC is the only one updating the news section and he's been away all week. Having been at another game today for work, I don't know how practical it would have been for such an important piece of news to be distributed in Ernie's Bar, given that I have stepped back almost entirely and Fatboy is also not around until Christmas. That's two people not doing matchday jobs...

It was great to hear that the result went our way today and I'm delighted for all involved.

Well said Gareth.I would just like to add that Dan didn't actually sign for Wingate and Finchley until today and that injury would have prevented him from playing.I would also like to add that Dan leaves with our blessing as he has never been anything other than honest with us in either his performances or openess about approaches.I wish dan all the best but also extend an invitation that if things don't work out for him he will always be welcme back.

I disagree, Beano. For a second home game, I turned up to watch and got asked to do the tannoy at short notice, using the mic I bought for you to use in the first place. There was opportunity in the clubhouse or on the terraces for Alan, Bob or certain other high-up people in the club to at least tell me what had happened. I'm not a stranger, journalist or snooper, i've been watching the team for 22 years. You can't ask me to fill in at short notice and then withhold important information which I and other supporters should know. You can't have it both ways. Not expecting it to be announced over the tannoy, but a bit more respect wouldn't have gone amiss.

PS - I'd welcome Dan back to the club. let me get that straight.

PPS - If the chairman's against me now, I'll have to reconsider watching the midweek games.

Swifty lets not get touchy on this please ,without Gareth we do not have that many people with the expertise to update the website and given the small band of willing people on match days it is not always possible to keep everybody up to date with developments.Your contribution is always valued wether it be vocal or financial so please don't be upset by lapses in our attentio to detail.

Swifty / Pitbull (you don't need to be arguing with one another....you both have the same passions as the rest of us) -

I also ask myself what I am doing up at this time of the morning!!!

Didn't get down for the game today (not sure why Gareth has found it necesssary to resign from the Board - is there a vacancy?) due to health reasons (well, that's my excuse) but great to see a home win and three points.

If I have a gripe, it is of the Hatchett variety, i.e. having financially supported Scott's injury-related problems a few years ago (and paid Liam to purchase the occasional Mars Bar!), I also sponsored Dan's supreme efforts in the London Marathon 2012 for a great cause, which I will always support.

Not a big deal Dan so far as leaving ATFC is concerned, but from a supporters' point of view you will always be welcome back, However, for now you are part of our history {sadly}. Good luck at W&F.

Couldn't get to the game yesterday due to health reasons (I'm not a well bunny ) but was really pleased to see the result, well done lads. I have allways had a great deal of respect for Dan Brown and was very sorry to see him go but if he has been open and honest with us then I wish him well at his new club.

Can see your point Swifty but calm down mate. Your common sense is invaluable.

Swifty,please accept my personal apologies, the Dan situation was discussed by a few people in the bar and around the turnstiles on Saturday and I just assumed that you would have already heard when I spoke to you about the announcing. Communications have been a problem in the last week or so (I was not informed last weeks game at Barton was off so turned up to run a Quiz Night at an empty clubhouse !) and the club needs to sort that out quickly.

To be honest the committee were only told on Friday, but I agree that in future we should be making official announcements on such matters when they are finalised..

As for the match my only disagreement with your view would be about the officials. The assistant on the tea bar side was woeful and the referee again was inconsistent (ie Russell's booking for what look a pretty innocuous tackle followed minutes later by a hack from behind by Daventry player on Alex which did not even warrant a talking to ?) .

Phil

No problem. Thanks, Phil. No need for the personal apology.

My point about the officials is that the ref didn't seem to want to be the centre of attention or a card flurry merchant like some, and he let the game flow. Admittedly, the bookings (or lack of them in an instance or two) were debatable. The lino on the covered standing side (must think of a name for that side!) didn't get much wrong during the game. You can measure how good / bad a ref is by how quickly ExCalibur heckles him, and the ref was heckle-free yesterday!

Swifty -

a name for the covered standing side? No contest - it has to be the Eddie Hutchinson Stand!

Whilst in write-mode, get well soon Tony (Brenwill) - I've been unwell myself recently after suffering a seizure outside of Ashford Tesco's. Years ago it would have been the ideal location for something like that to happen (if there is such a thing), until some idiot chose to close the A&E facility at the nearest hospital to Heathrow.

I still don't know if was the Tesco prices that freaked me out, or trying to find a shopping basket (I didn't need a trolley or the temptation to fill it) , or the fact it was Halloween that day. Witch (geddit?) was it, I wander (another geddit?).

Looking forward to getting down to the RPS soon.

Sweet thing, Keith! I'll have to turn down the offer, though. I know up North that the covered standing side is sometimes called The Popular Side, but that sounds a bit like a political party!

Hope you and Tony get better soon. Mum had an accident at Tesco in Ashford last week (she walked into a window thinking it was a door!) and had to make the ridiculous journey to Chertsey herself.

The lads have a game against Cove in the Aldershot Senior Cup on Wednesday - not the competition I announced over the tannoy, but I didn't have my programme to hand!

Eddie - thanks. You are far too modest, given the number of years you have supported the Club.

I wish your Mum well. Making her own way to Chertsey is an appalling indictment of the way successive Governments have treated the NHS. In my own case, I played dead until the ambulance from across the road arrived - but the journey to West Middx (I politely declined the Chertsey trip, and was surprised to be even asked) was the bumpiest since my own first driving lesson three decades ago - and whilst neither had blue lights, they were probably more necessary for my driving lesson!

As far as mistaking windows for doors is concerned, we've all done it - I used to have a personal solution called 'my car', but for some reason neither Tesco or Surrey Police gave it their approval. For a while I thought they had re-christened me 'Ram Raid'. Whilst I thought they were being kind to my manhood, it took all of 2 minutes to get the point!

This may be breaking a confidence and, if so, may I apologise to the chap in question, but I received an apologetic email from another main man at the club today, who confirmed that the players weren't told of Dan's departure until after the game on Saturday so as not to disrupt game plan / team talk / performance. Understandable then that no mention was made on the internet beforehand.

Without also wishing to risk breaking a confidence, and having scrutinised the list of Club Officials and reflected on Eddie's reference to the mic; (ok, that's all the caveats), is Gareth still involved with the Club?

I may have missed something, but even I can notice the recent absence of posts on here from 'Beano', and know that he often had family commitments on Saturdays that prevented him attending every game, but still made a huge contribution for which many owe him unreceived thanks that maybe makes/made him feel unappreciated. Ditto many others, with Bob P, Alan C and the late Ernie at the top of the list.

As Private Eye often says - I think we should be told (about Gareth).

Swifty - technically the reference on the Daventry website to our location might be correct, in that the Esso Depot could (technically, again) be seen as an integral part of the airport.

Sorry - too much time on my hands, I guess.

Keith, I'm afraid Beano left the club immediately after the away game against Slough Town three weeks ago. One of the helpers at the club didn't know this until last Saturday!

I think Beano's got lots of constraints and pressures away from the club (family life, very busy job etc.) and something probably had to give. I understand Beano's still helping out behind the scenes and he's running the website until New Year's Eve at the earliest, at which point a small band of co-pilots will take over.

Swifty - thanks.

Gareth, if you are reading this, many thanks and best wishes to you, Steph and the adorable Lilly.

Your collective efforts were really appreciated. Come back soon.

Keith

P.S.

what the hell am I still doing awake at this time at this time of night , also - why is Shane Warne coming out of retirement any why are Japan poorer at building road tunnels than the UK? Long live Hindhead.

Archived