Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Promotion/PPG

VPCTFC

I must admit once we lost on Tuesday and therefore "stepped out" of this two up discussion process, I thought I'd lose interest. However, the more I think about it, it is better that two go up from our League, whoever they may be.

It will all come down to Guernsey winning enough points to get around 2.10 PPG (88 points, another 36 required for Guernsey from their 21 games, which appears straightforward) I reckon as it looks to me like Newport have blown it so there will be a maximum of 13 champion clubs going up, leaving a minimum of three spots from seven leagues, but the Wessex won't provide any clubs, so it is three from six leagues, which as ITK has said will almost certainly increase.

Someone else on another thread remarked that Tunbridge Wells have a big backlog but that they can cope better because of the number of teams in the Kent League. We've seen a number of their clubs in recent years doing well in the Vase, Herne Bay, Beckenham, Hythe, Deal and now Tunbridge Wells) that I wonder whether this might be the ideal opportunity for the CCL to drop to 20 teams ourself. No one would be denied promotion from Division One unless of course the ground isn't up to it, and clubs in a relegation position would be relegated, which would make a novel change.

Our Division One would retain a reasonable number of clubs, we'd have less issues with postponements and backlogs and with exception of a couple of clubs at the bottom who might otherwise be reprieved, this would suit everyone else in the League as far as I can see.

Sorry CC I'm sure by freshening up you were probably looking for a different suggestion!

It will all come down to Guernsey winning enough points to get around 2.10 PPG (88 points, another 36 required for Guernsey from their 21 games, which appears straightforward) I reckon as it looks to me like Newport have blown it so there will be a maximum of 13 champion clubs going up, leaving a minimum of three spots from seven leagues, but the Wessex won't provide any clubs, so it is three from six leagues, which as ITK has said will almost certainly increase.

Well Fred, the FA with their usual "make the rules up as they go along" attitude (see recent Wigan/Newcastle fiasco) could change it so that the Wessex/Southern just reprieve someone higher up rather than promote an extra 2nd placed team, hmm we'll see.

It will all come down to Guernsey winning enough points to get around 2.10 PPG (88 points, another 36 required for Guernsey from their 21 games, which appears straightforward)

So twelve wins from 21 games...

I think so HKP.

Fair point Bomaya, you never really know for certain, but they are well aware of the strength of feeling of the "little clubs" after last year's reversal, so I'm fairly confident!

So twelve wins from 21 games...

Chatting to some well qualified friends of mine, the physical toll of the fixture pile up may well make even this a challenge too far. I hope not as it would be such a shame. I don't think anyone in the CCL would begrudge Egham the title and GFC promotion.

Someone else on another thread remarked that Tunbridge Wells have a big backlog but that they can cope better because of the number of teams in the Kent League. We've seen a number of their clubs in recent years doing well in the Vase, Herne Bay, Beckenham, Hythe, Deal and now Tunbridge Wells) that I wonder whether this might be the ideal opportunity for the CCL to drop to 20 teams ourself. No one would be denied promotion from Division One unless of course the ground isn't up to it, and clubs in a relegation position would be relegated, which would make a novel change.

Is that all I am now - 'someone else'? As long as I know where I stand....

The thing is, when the suggestion of changing step 5 to 12 leagues instead of 14 was doing the rounds the Kent League sides were the most voiciferous in supporting it. They don't want to be in such a small league and were hoping they could gain a few Sussex League (or maybe even CCL?) clubs to bolster their numbers. Apparently, at their meeting to discuss the proposals, they were unanimous in supporting it.

Just dug out an article from the time.

Their league Chairman, Denise Richmond said "Kent League clubs have always complained that they wanted more games".

"Tunbridge Wells chairman Joe Croker gave the scheme his full support."

“We’re very much of the view that we don’t have enough games in a season,” he said. “Should we not do well in the cups we’d only have 15 or 16 home games a season and that’s not enough to generate revenue or to keep up interest for our supporters.”

http://www.kentnews....osals_1_1189681

Personally I think 22 is the right number at this level.

Edited by VPCTFC

I've heard a horrible rumour that to get the numbers up the league are going to allow step 4 reserve sides in. Will make a mockery of the CCL in my opinion

Agree

Sorry Russ :) I could remember hearing it but couldn't remember who from!

This Reserve team thing must be a rumour. I can't see what benefit there is to step three or four clubs putting their reserves in at step 5. It's been said here before that the Suburban Premier is a higher standard than the CCL and whilst I don't agree with that, I imagine that there is a different style of football played. That's not to say that the CCL is all "kick and rush" and the standard has raised in recent years, but there are still quite a few, how shall I put this, "more direct" teams. In fact getting out of the CCL is difficult for that reason as you need a team to cope with both styles of opponents.

Based on Guernsey finding a way past us and South Park this week, their fixture backlog will not stop them reaching a respectable enough points tally for promotion in my opinion.

Reserve teams are not allowed above step 6 any more. FA rules.

Those that are already at step 5 can stay but they can't get promoted and, if they get relegated, can't get promoted back to step 5.

Plus, there must be at least two steps between a first team and a reserve team so step 4 reserves couldn't play above step 6 for that reason as well.

Edited by VPCTFC

So imagine a scenario where Woking Sutton and Wimbledon put their reserve sides in CCL 1 and they come top 3 every season - no sides will come up from div 1 and no one down from the prem

As those reserve teams aren't part of the National League System, they'd only get into CCL1 if the member clubs voted them in. I don't think we'd do that.

Edited by VPCTFC

Just to explain the reasoning behind this. The Management Committee is concerned at the current number of clubs competing in Division One. There are 18 at present and were two clubs to go up from the Premier Division, with nobody in return, the knock-on effect could be that only one club is relegated, with possibly three coming up. That reduces Division One to 16 clubs with only one having applied to come in and that is in the hands of the FA. Sixteen is about the minimum number for senior football and given also that a number of clubs do not meet the requirements for the level at which they play (that matter will be debated by the Management Committee shortly) we have a potential problem.

One possible option discussed would be to invite two reserve teams from clubs playing at Step 4 or above to come into Division One. No approaches have been made though, as the League wished to obtain the views of existing Division One clubs before embarking upon this course. A letter has been sent to the clubs seeking their views on the matter and I can advise that, at the time of writing, only five clubs have replied, two in favour and three against, even though the deadline for responding has passed.

Doubtless there will be a few more responses before the next Management Meeting in early April but there would be no point in going ahead if the clubs are against it. Views on here though do not always reflect the official opinions as advised by clubs through their secretaries or chairmen.