Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Sycob 0 Ashtrees 2

Dan -

phone nicked? I hope that does not affect your regular business (plus selling Xmas trees) too much, but I bet the Inbox and Sent Box make interesting reading!

A very quick message to all those supporters who followed us to the away games at Wealdstone and Beaconsfield this week. The weather has not been kind but the results have been positive and your support is much appreciated.

For various reasons, we had to make different team selections but the commitment and attitude of all the players has been superb.

We have an honest, hard working group of players that all have one aim; to push themselves and the club to the next level.

As we have experienced recently, we will have good days and bad days on the pitch but whatever the result on Saturday or Tuesday, the players will always give us 100%.

We hope to maintain the good form over Christmas to keep in touch with the top six but whatever happens we are grateful for your support home and away.

We hope to see as many of you as possible on 20th December for a pre-Christmas drink at the club where I have it on good authority that The Chairman is buying the first round of drinks...

I've seen the last three games, (Daventry, Wealdstone and Beaconsfield) and while they haven't been very exciting we have won all three.

No Dan Brown No defeats! Keep it going Ashford :)

However back on the other foot there are too many players not contributing 100% during their time on the field.

A few questions............

When is a striker/forward going to score? we need to use the width/wingers, more crosses create chances

When are we going to start closing down the opposition during matches? Godalming do it they're near the top

When are we going to put a player on the near-post for corners or have one drawing defender? Most of our corners don't get past the first defender.

Well done on another clean sheet :)

Not sure about the 'less than 100%' part, and we do for the most part have a young squad on an upward curve, but I can see where Excalibur's coming from. We do need to get tighter on opponents, and the attacking midfielders and forwards need to show that we won't miss Dan's goals. I have my own ideas about what we should do at corners, but I'll tell Burgo at the Christmas drink-up. :P

Excalibur's a bit more caustic and direct than me, but I can assure you he gets behind the team and he cares, hence his comments.

PS - will there be any casserole on the 20th? ;)

I have been watching Ashford for most of this season,a good side for this level of football,looking back over the games this season, i think 8th place will be a good result, but i do find some of the managers team selection strange, like the game against Godalming,Ashford getting thumped and struggling to keep the score down, and the manager goes 3 at the back!

We will miss Dan Brown, the attack is to light without him,where is the support from the midfield to help the attacking players, our midfield goes missing every time, and why oh why does the manager insist on playing Scott Weight he is not an attacking player

nor is he a defender, the number of free kicks he gives away is shameful,he brings nothing to the team.

I look forward to Ashford,s next game against Royston

Alan -

I am sure I am not betraying any hidden identities, but I have it on good authority that Excalibur is the legendary sword of King Arthur, sometimes attributed with magical powers or associated with the rightful sovereignty of Great Britain, so if Stuart admits anyone with a large sharp bladed instrument, that's him/her.

Just a thought!

Puffing Billy is also a new contributor, who is a steam engine, hence their tendency to let off steam. All aboard.

Glad to helpful as ever.

I dont see the point in picking out individual players for critisism. It will do nothing for confidence. The fact is, this bunch of players play as a team. they play for the manager and each other and by what i have heard on the grape vine a big part of being at Ashford is the friendlyness of the club and fans. Lets not ruin it by getting stuck into idividuals on here. One of the great things about the club now is that the manager and coaches are happy to chat in the bar after the game and discuss their decisions and formations etc. If as a fan you want to get something off your chest then have a word with them rather than air our dirty washing on here. Back our boys!

BTW, my phone was stolen from my car in the middle of hatton Cross BP petrol station by smashing my passenger window. There was a police car two pumps away! they couldnt get into the cctv because the manager hadnt left the password. The copper just shrugged his shoulders and told me to report it when i got home. UNBELIEVABLE!

Maybe it's me, but I thought Weighty was a holding midfielder. We've got plenty of attacking midfield options in any case. I can think of four other lads who could play in midfield together and they'd all terrorise the oppo defence!

Admittedly, I think Weighty's been a bit ring rusty, as he was out a long time due to (I think) work commitments, but hopefully he's getting back in the groove. Funny thing is, Weighty was arguably the quietest captain we've ever had yet, under his tutelage, we got off to a great start last season!

Errr you are correct, Scott weight is a holding midfielder. Also Ed, he is very vocal in and around the team.

Hope to be at the "DO" on the 20th where we can all debate these points with the beer flowing ;)

Fatboyatmfc sorry to read about your phone,if you decide to report it to the Police,you are going to love the letter you get asking if you need counselling.

I thought the idear of this forum was to air my thoughts and give me a chance to say my piece,to praise where praise is due and to criticize

where criticism is due,after all the players are big boys now.

I love non league football, not for the skill level, but for the passion and commitment the small clubs have for the game,from the players,managers,coaches to the supporters and club staff,and when i see a player who i think is just swanning around the middle of the pitch it annoys me.

I want to see Ashford do well in this league and hopefully get to the play-offs or win the league.

Swifty ,SW ring rusty mmmm! I want to see every player in Ashford`s 1st team fight for thier place,nobody there because they are the managers favorite.

Swifty,no i was not,i did see Ashford were relegated from the premier league 3 or 4 seasons ago,are any of those players still at the club?

I like the look of some of Ashford`s younger players in particular Mark Bitmead and Samad Kharzi.i hope these players and other like them can carry the club forward

The only players from that era still with us are captain Russell Canderton (39 appearances in 2009/10) Scott Weight, (23 plus 13 as sub) and Mark Bitmead (1) - plus Burgo (14).

We had a new manager the season we got relegated (former Jamaica international Jamie Lawrence) and he had to contend with a mass exodus of players - six or seven of the regular first team - and he helped shore the side up by putting players from his academy in the first team. Most of those players came from South London, Kent or Sussex and didn't stay long.

We've got a very young and exciting side. Most of the lads joined at the start of last season and hit the ground running.

Archived