Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

AFC Wimbledon's ground

Swifty

Due to having Christmas events next Monday, Wednesday, Thursday (going to some football club or other) and Friday, I probably won't be going to the Surrey Senior Cup tie, but I thought I'd tell you about the spectator facility changes at Kingsmeadow.

The covered standing terrace to the left of the ground as you enter, where we were penned in for that classic FA Cup tie, has gone. it's been replaced by a decent size seated stand - all the seats are blue. Apparently, this stand is used for away fans at AFC Wimbledon's league and cup games - I assume most of the cup games, anyway.

When Kingstonian are at home, the stand is out of bounds, cordoned off and marshalled by three stewards so, if you want to watch the game from the opposite flank, you have to walk round three sides of the ground to get there. You also have the weird sight of fans of both teams huddled behind one goal for one half, as a number of K's fans prefer watching from behind the goal and stay there for both halves!

I can't imagine AFC Wimbledon will open the away stand for what will be a small number of Ashford fans on Tuesday, so be prepared for a hike round the ground or a bit of stand-sharing!

The new stand is in fact mainly for home fans. One block at the end is for away fans, next to where the standing away fans are now situated down the side. I would imagine Tuesday will be a sit/stand where you like affair, as realistically the crowd will probably not exceed 500 in total. Whether or not the new stand may be closed i'm not sure. I think the reason the stand is not open for Ks games is due to there not being sufficient stewards.

Thanks for that. Highly intriguing from my point of view, as I also support Bognor Regis Town, and AFC Wimbledon signed Jason from Bognor after he'd played (and scored) for Newcastle United's reserves. He scored something like 95 goals in 120 appearances for The Rocks.

It was a real shame he broke his leg, as he was starting to show some real promise. Really looking forward to seeing Jason play again tomorrow. Hopefully after being eased back gently, he'll be an asset in the second half of the season for us - we sure do need it!

Swifty (Ed to you and I),

just wondering who are Bognor's main rivals (or foes if you think that way) might be? Worthing, perhaps?

Just curious, not looking to stir up any of the nasty stuff. We all know about rivalries between Newcastle & Sunderland; City & Utd; Spurs & Arsenal; Saints & some obscure bankrupt excuse for a football club down the road etc., etc., but I can't think of a match for Bognor, other than maybe Worthing or Littlehampton or Ford or Barnham or Port******h (apparently the last one used to be reasonably good and win trophies, but there was a war on then, and the best strikers in the area were more likely to be bombing Berlin or Dresden rather than the town next door's goal).

Answers on a postcard.

By the way, after reading the Xmas Draw results, Dan Butler now has his own bottles of red and white, plus a Christmas Pudding. You'll have to buy your own turkey, I'm afraid - unless you're prepared to make the journey down to Fratton Park where they have a couple of dozen going for next to nowt.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

We play the winners of this game so hoping its Wimbledon, love a good trip to Kingsmeadow

Is it not a bit rude to come onto a club's forum to say you hope they lose?

I know what you mean, but still! :rolleyes:

Swifty (Ed to you and I), just wondering who are Bognor's main rivals (or foes if you think that way) might be? Worthing, perhaps?

Bognor's traditional rivals are indeed Worthing though, funny enough, there's only ever the odd bit of verbals on the website. The two sides' supporters rub along very well - the derby matches regularly attract 600 to 1,000 with no trouble whatsoever.

In recent years, due to the divisons they've been in, Bognor's main rivals have been Eastleigh, Lewes, and Havant and Waterlooville, and now a huge vat of bile is reserved for moneybags Whitehawk and their minibus load of fans!

Archived