Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Oh Dear, Oh Dear.........

OldTowner

Sat 5th Jan - Game 20 in the league. 18 points and 48 goals against.

Oh how poor were Town today.

Sorry but in my opinion some current players are just not fit enough, show no desire or spirit and are basically not good enough for this level of football.

Once again the midfield gave the ball away time, after time, after time.

Thought ETU had 13 against Town's 11 today.

AND

Don't respond about "budgets" as I cannot imagine ETU's budget is any bigger than Town's.

Felt sorry for Mcgleish, who did not get a pass below head height all game.

Overall the League table does not lie. Tuesday v Carshalton is mid way thro' season and a real 6 pointer crunch game.

Changes need to happen.

Edited by OldTowner

But the board have confidence in the manager, so unless either or both change we can look forward to being back in Ryman North next season.

There seems to be no desire in this team, no tactical awareness from the side lines, shameful performances now seem to be acceptable

poor town; some one sort it

Results do not lie. I saw 10 players in yellow shirts running around playing together/for each other with one thing on their mind. To win a game of football. East Thurrock players had the desire and skill to win against a team who didn't appear to know what to do when they had the ball, and, what to do when they didn't have it. We saw on New Year's Day that we were beaten for pace. It happened again today when our full backs were not at the races when we conceded the two goals.

Harrow Borough FC have just released three players in order to draft in replacements. If they can do it, they why can't we? Our players are not producing the goods and we cannot 'hope' that other teams around us lose more games than us so we stay up.

Surely we cannot keep saying that we have a small budget as I am sure a lot of teams would welcome gates of over 300 each game. Players are out there - just look who we played today.

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS ARE NOW ON THECOLDEND...CAN'T POST THEM ON HERE AT MOMENT FOR SOME REASON.... THE ONLY THING I MISSED WAS LIAM'S HEADER RIGHT AT THE START.

A RATHER DEPRESSING DISPLAY I HAVE TO SAY. WE WERE SECOND TO THE BALL FOR MOST OF THE GAME AND AS OT SAYS WE LOST IT FAR TO MUCH IN MIDFIELD. IF IT HADN'T OF BEEN FOR NOEL IMBER IT WOULD OF BEEN MORE! WE DO HAVE THE PLAYERS CAPABLE OF CLIMBING THE TABLE...JUST NEED SOME LUCK AND SOME CONFIDENCE. WE'LL BE ALRIGHT I'M SURE OF IT.

TUESDAY NIGHT IS NOW A REALLY IMPORTANT MATCH. CARSHALTON ARE FIVE POINTS BELOW US SO NEED TO WIN BUT (OF COURSE) WE NEED TO WIN AS THURROCK HAVE FOUR GAMES IN HAND OVER US.

THIS TIME NEXT WEEK WE COULD BE SIX POINTS BETTER OFF AFTER WINS OVER CARSHALTON AND HASTINGS???? IF WE PLAY AS BAD AS WE DID YESTERDAY WE'LL BE IN THE RELEGATION ZONE.

Results do not lie. I saw 10 players in yellow shirts running around playing together/for each other with one thing on their mind. To win a game of football. East Thurrock players had the desire and skill to win against a team who didn't appear to know what to do when they had the ball, and, what to do when they didn't have it. We saw on New Year's Day that we were beaten for pace. It happened again today when our full backs were not at the races when we conceded the two goals.

Harrow Borough FC have just released three players in order to draft in replacements. If they can do it, they why can't we? Our players are not producing the goods and we cannot 'hope' that other teams around us lose more games than us so we stay up.

Surely we cannot keep saying that we have a small budget as I am sure a lot of teams would welcome gates of over 300 each game. Players are out there - just look who we played today.

100% spot on Andy.

Funny how us "mere supporters" seem to see these things happening on the pitch week in week out.

Funny how we all seem to have a very similar view.

Perhaps we need a fitness coach and a scouting team as part of our Club set up, to assist in areas which seem to be lacking at present.

Unfortunately, I think we could all name at least 6 players from yesterday who are 1, not up to this level, or 2, are unfit, or 3, are playing out of position, or any 2 from 3.

It's our Club and it is sliding down the League every week.

Can someone tell me why for the past few weeks we have been changing the team every game searching for results yet Jey Siva hasn't been given a chance at all? He may have his defensive frailties but he certainly is a better player on the ball than some of his rivals for his position. We are only going to get out of this mess through attacking play as we are too poor defensively anyway so my solution would be to have our best attacking players on the pitch where possible.

Can someone tell me why for the past few weeks we have been changing the team every game searching for results yet Jey Siva hasn't been given a chance at all? He may have his defensive frailties but he certainly is a better player on the ball than some of his rivals for his position. We are only going to get out of this mess through attacking play as we are too poor defensively anyway so my solution would be to have our best attacking players on the pitch where possible.

OT.... Hendon seem to have hit a bit of form of late...when they lost 6-3 at Donkey Lane in November they looked doomed on only one win in eleven games but a run of four wins, a draw and two defeats in their last seven games have pushed them up the table. I remember some of their fans shouting 'IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH' and probably saying the same things as we are saying now.

The Town now have to aim at this sort of run and I am convinced we have the players to do it. We just need some luck (what if Liam's header would have gone in?? what if McGleish's chance would of gone in??) I think. Win one game and it breeds confidence etc. I'm not trying to defend yesterday's performance as I've stated it was disapointing but just trying to put a positive spin on things.

The next four games are very important and could shape how the season pans out :

Carshalton (22nd)

HASTINGS (19th)

Cray (13th)

BOGNOR (6th)

Just got to keep hoping the the team can pick up the points needed. COME ON YOU TOWN!!

Sat 5th Jan - Game 20 in the league. 18 points and 48 goals against.

Oh how poor were Town today.

Sorry but in my opinion some current players are just not fit enough, show no desire or spirit and are basically not good enough for this level of football.

Once again the midfield gave the ball away time, after time, after time.

Thought ETU had 13 against Town's 11 today.

AND

Don't respond about "budgets" as I cannot imagine ETU's budget is any bigger than Town's.

Felt sorry for Mcgleish, who did not get a pass below head height all game.

Overall the League table does not lie. Tuesday v Carshalton is mid way thro' season and a real 6 pointer crunch game.

Changes need to happen.

Sorry, but is a repeat of all that has been said before.

Tonight v Carshalton there was more effort, it was a better performance BUT and this is the BIG ISSUE - The result remains a 2 - 3 loss AGAIN.

Having gone infront thro Scott Mcgleish, on the only occassion in 45 minutes that we kept the ball on the ground for 10 passes, we contrived to throw it away with 3 crazy goals.

At 1 - 3 we tried in vain to score time after time and eventually SMc came up trumps again.

But 51 goals against and 18 points from 21 games ( 1 point from last 7 or 8 games ) is relegation form. Look at the league table.

Players not good enough, not fit enough and not competitive where it hurts and the Management team does not seem to have an answer.

If Town are to turn things around some strong actions and perhaps difficult decisions need to be made.

21 games to go, ..... It is not all over, ......but it will be if we carry on with our heads in the sand.

Please don't respond about budget. I have no idea, but find it difficult to see the likes of ETU, Wingate, Hendon, Carshalton, Leiston, Harrow and others etc having any more funds available than Town.

I'm not sure we have the people to make "difficult decisions" otherwise they would have been made weeks ago when most supporters could see the management and team are not good enough for this level, shame the decison makers can't see it

lets hope we dont have to wait another 21 games to prove the dwindling crowds were correct all along

I spoke to two members of the board last night and any decisions are harder to make than many of us realise.

If there was a change of management how many of the current squad would remain, they are not on contract. We may be left with a skeleton squad and untried reserves and WOULD GET RELEGATED without doubt.

There was enough promise last night to stay with the current situation. Scott is undoubtedly a class striker his first goal demonstrated clinical finishing which is the general standard in this league. We should have learnt by now that you do not give the ball away cheaply in midfield. Errors in defence will be punished.

I understand that our new signing, Joe O'Cearull, could not play last night due to commitments with Haringey borough. It may be that if he had played the defence would have been better organised.

It was explained to me that Steve knows the problems and is working on it. He brought us up to this level and, he now has a fight on his hands, we should get behind him.

It was good to see Jey out yesterday but I worry that he will be dropped for Hastings to make way for the new guy.

The season is half way through and Steve has half the total wins he set himself for. With luck yesterday we could have won but didn't.

Great points Steph. I'm not sure Southport or Old Towner would agree as they clearly want the management and players out.

Successful teams stick with good managers during bad spells and we have a good manager.

Ride out the bad times to enjoy the good.

Cold End i always respect your opinions generally and in recent weeks/months i have generally been on the side of the management but I have to say i have now lost patience. This isnt down to just results but more down to the fact that our team selections and decisions have no sense!

I have for a long time while failed to understand certain (in my opinion average) players play every week whilst others (in my opinion better players) havent at all. Substitutions also seem to baffle me and there seems to be a hierachy of substitions as to who comes off rather than adapting to the game situation. I could not make last night and so cannot comment on the performance, however I dont see how Campbell and Hope were left out again? As i said, opinions but surely we need these players on the pitch to get out of this mess. Selections seem to have no theory or logic behind them.

I'd also like to know what input the management team has as every game i attend seems to involve them shouting and hollering players from the dugout with little construction. Quite what value the Hammatts offer other than a loyal presence, i'm not sure?

Perhaps i am wrong?

CD,

I agree with some of your points. All fans are never gonna agree with subs, tactics and team formations/changes etc. And some in the recent weeks I have not agreed with some of them for one.

I hope we start winning soon or four words to scare the life out of people may happen next season ..... "A TRIP TO CRICKLEFIELDS"

I found some of CD Towner's comments above interesting. Here are some objective observations.

I am currently studying for my UEFA B Coaching Licence and when the opportunity arises I like to stand near the dug-outs at games to observe the management and coaches and study their style of and type of input during the game.

Last season I was huegely impressed with Danny Laws and his staff from Needham Market ( when they played us at Theobalds Lane) and also Chris Tracey from Sudbury. Both coaching teams offered concise , cosntructive observation and information for their players. They managed the game and they were not fixated by the perforance of the officials. I saw Potters Bar beat Sudbury ( 5 or 6 -1 ) and Chris Tracey never stopped encouraging , never stopped trying to improve his side and never lost belief. That was refelected in his team's attitude and response despite being well beaten by PB in a superb game where they counter attacked to great effect as Sudbury pushed on.

I undertook the same exercise away to East Thurrock on Saturday. I am afraid to say that after 20 minutes I had to move to a different part of the ground as my 11 year old son was with me.

Read between the lines.

I appreciate it was us that got promoted last year not Needham or Sudbury .

Tend to agree with thecoldend and Steph but with some caveats....

Last night’s performance was spirited but, ultimately, we lost to the team at the bottom of the table and conceded 3 goals yet again, this time to a team struggling to score against anybody else!

I don’t think we should forget the euphoria and success of last season – brought to us by this management team and many of the players. But we are now in a tougher league and I do think the board should be asking some searching questions of Steve and his team as to how they intend to turn this around – and I expect they are?

As a supporters owned club it’s really important that we carry supporters with us and the danger with the way the debate’s currently being conducted is that we’re polarising people into 2 camps. I respect the views of people like Southport Towner, OldTowner and CDTowner and communication with the likes of them (and there will be others who are keeping their views to themselves but ultimately will vote with their feet) is going to be really important in the next few weeks and months. How do others think this is best achieved? Our board have done a fantastic job in getting us to where we are over the 11 years or so but I’m sure they’d admit that mistakes have been made along the way – that’s only natural – and that they don’t have a monopoly on good ideas.

On the playing front, it was good to see Jey delivering some good crosses last night but I was disappointed that Liam and Tyler were on the bench again for what was really a ‘must win’ game. Both did well when they came on but it was too little, too late by then. A frustrating night for all – including the players and management I’m sure. The management team have an important job to do in making sure the players we need are committed to getting us back on track and as soon as possible.

C’mon Towners, pull together – half a season left to play for!

I actually agreed with the substitutions last night except, perhaps, the timing.

I dont think either Tyler or Hope, on present form, should be automatic selections in the present set up. It is clear that currently Scott is a better striker than Liam. As for Tyler he has been closed down too easily in recent weeks and yesterday was more of the same.

We have problems in midfield and defence. Yesterday I was even musing what Rudi would be doing in the middle in this team.

It was disappointing to see Johnston leave the pitch in an apparent huff, as far as I was concerned he was out of his depth yesterday.

Townendleftside,

Great point re bad language and being critical of ref's decisions. I was at Harpenden Town v Kentish Town last night (anorak) and saw the KT bench encourage and instruct their team throughout... they appealed some decisions but in the correct way. rather refreshing to see