Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Well Done Bradford City!

3-1 up after the first-leg of their League Cup Semi Final against Aston Villa!

A fantastic result for a club that's been in the doldrums for so long, and only recently had its immediate future threatened!

Yes but a Bradford City v Swansea final, I ask you, what sort of crowd will there be at Wembley for that!

Eastside Urchin - Do you really think so, I'm not so sure, anyway I still think that it will be an Aston Villa v Chelsea final, I certainly hope so.

It'll sell out, and it's what football is all about.

Swindon Town managed to take thousands down to Wembley in 1969, and they were then only a Third Division side.

It's a chance for one of Bradford's players to go down in history, just like Don Rogers did over 40 years ago.

Swindon in 1969 was a different kettle of fish altogether as it's only an hour from London and football and travel was much cheaper in those days, people in Bradford and Swansea haven't got two ha'pennys to rub together thanks to broken Britain

Swindon in 1969 was a different kettle of fish altogether as it's only an hour from London and football and travel was much cheaper in those days, people in Bradford and Swansea haven't got two ha'pennys to rub together thanks to broken Britain

I went to that match and although all the accolades went to Don Rodgers the best player in the pitch, by a mile, was the Swindon GK (Peter Downsborough). After the game supporters from both clubs hit the west end and there was a great atmosphere and no hatred or violence whatsoever. I also remember the Swindon supporters seem to know far more of the best clubs and drinking holes than Londoners born and bred.

Hope the two underdogs manage to reach the final to prove that a massive bank balance isn't the only recipe for success.

I remember the 1969 League Cup Final like it was yesterday, I didn't attend but my dad took me to the Leicester v Man City FA Cup Final two months later, much was made of the hallowed Wembley turf that day wasn't it and Swindon adapted to the conditions far better than Arsenal did.

I remember the 1969 League Cup Final like it was yesterday, I didn't attend but my dad took me to the Leicester v Man City FA Cup Final two months later, much was made of the hallowed Wembley turf that day wasn't it and Swindon adapted to the conditions far better than Arsenal did.

If I remember correctly, unbelievably there was a horsey event held on the pitch a few days before, and that coupled with a lot of rain meant the pitch was almost unplayable. The normally dependable Ian Ure had a nightmare afternoon and was responsible for two of Swindon's goals. My abiding memory though is of the wonderful sportsmanship and camaraderie shown by both sets of supporters, and its a shame that the hooliganism that crept into football a few years later followed by the greed is good premiership has transformed the game into the ugly thing it is today.

I went to that match and although all the accolades went to Don Rodgers the best player in the pitch, by a mile, was the Swindon GK (Peter Downsborough). After the game supporters from both clubs hit the west end and there was a great atmosphere and no hatred or violence whatsoever. I also remember the Swindon supporters seem to know far more of the best clubs and drinking holes than Londoners born and bred.

Hope the two underdogs manage to reach the final to prove that a massive bank balance isn't the only recipe for success.

You're quite right there Alan. Peter Downsborough had an amazing game for Swindon Town that day.

This mini-documentary might be of interest:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes but a Bradford City v Swansea final, I ask you, what sort of crowd will there be at Wembley for that!

I bet there's no more than 60,000 at Wembley for the Final

• 5 weeks later...

I see the chickens came home to roost today didn't they which is why I championed a Chelsea v Aston Villa Final, it would have been far more competitive and entertaining

What was the attendance??

I bet there's no more than 60,000 at Wembley for the Final

You would lose that bet :)

I see the chickens came home to roost today didn't they which is why I championed a Chelsea v Aston Villa Final, it would have been far more competitive and entertaining

I thought today's final proved there is still romance in football, and dreams can come true. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of a match played in the right spirit and as far as I know, no nastiness from either set of supporters.

Well done to all concerned.

The scoreline was very harsh on Bradford City, but well done to Swansea City on becoming only the second Welsh side to win silverware at Wembley.

Let's not forget that 10 years ago, it was Bradford City who were in the Premiership whilst Swansea City were struggling to survive both on and off the field.

but it was spoilt as a spectacle by Bradford just seemingly happy to be on the pitch

That’s exactly my point

Archived