Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

What are your Ashford memories?

Beano

Hi everyone,

I have been reminded that the autumn of 2014 will mark "50 years of Ashford Town". As some of you might recall, I decided some time ago that a book about the club would be a marvellous idea, which is how I came to spend the best part of two years researching the results archive we now have on the club website.

However, merely rattling through the results would a fairly dull read make... So I am asking for YOUR input!

Whether you were (or are) a player, official, member of the team management or supporter, or all of the above, I want your stories, anecdotes and photos. These could be single long posts or several bursts of memory, no tale is too short or too dull. Any original photo loaned to me will be scanned, then returned.

Credit will be given for all information that makes it into the book. You could post here, send me a private message through the forum or email me. And, please, make people who don't use the forum aware of this request.

The club is for everyone, therefore, when its history comes to be written, it should be recorded in more than one voice!

Thanks in advance for any and all help provided.

I remember when the stadium announcers daughter got locked in the toilet. ;).

I will have a think if I have anything relevant to add to the book, but my guess is its the old codgers moment to shine. Step forward privates Constable , Clark and Baker!!

Gareth -

I have some fine personal memories of Ashford Town (Mx) FC which may be less interesting than others, but can be happy to share for a book. Even if they are only read by my sons after my demise.

They could include:

1. How I first found that ATFC even existed (at the rear exit of Ashford Hospital), out of curiosity;

2. How we (me and my then 3 young lads) were so wholesomely welcomed by Alan C, Ian Mess, Sylvia and others to the club;

3. Seeing how others welcomed us:

4. The Vertannes Family - absolutely lovely;

5. Away trips to places like Tilbury (very high and cold):

6. The FA Cup run that took us as far as Weymouth, and well-documented in the book "Floodlit Dreams", which I think I have donated to the Club Shop; I will never forget the "pee stop" half way back, including a drinks re-fill at the local 'offie';

7. Alan C generously inviting my 3 lads to be ball-boys for a County Final at Short Lane;

8. How Bob P took Liam under his wing when he was keen to help look after the grounds during school holidays. He moved on to weed the grounds entrance to the ground, to moving on to help work on the pitch itself under Ricky Wellard.

Before his untimely death, Dave Walsh was always very kind to Liam and I was pleased recently to have seen Danny Brett in the Clubhouse. Lovely people that epitimise what our Club is all about.

Both Liam (now University of Surrey, Groundsperson @ Guildford) and Ricky (Pro @ Cambridge United FC) have, of course have moved on and progressed. On any of the above events, I can provide a personal take on my memories. How do I send a PM or an email to you Gareth these days?

Take care.

There are quite a few people who can make contributions about the " Short Lane Years" but not so many of us with memories of when we played at Clockhouse Lane, which was for longer than anybody wanted, lasting from the mid sixties to the mid eighties.

Beano will need to get this book finished for the 50th anniversary but also before some of us are carted off to our care homes!

My earliest memory is the 16th September 1965, I remember the date because it was a day before my 16th birthday. We played a Hounslow and District match against Isleworth Dynamos and we won 5-2. I recall that our team was a curious mixture of schoolboys like myself and men of mature years such as Ernie Britzman, Colin Macklin, Robert Woods and Bobby Townsend.I don't remember much about the match or any of the others in that season. The changing rooms at the Rec were basic in those days, a wooden building with very rudimentary showers which were usually cold. Fortunately the Council built more modern facilities soon afterwards.

In those days the weekends was all football, I played for the school team in the morning, Ashford in the afternoon and a team called Thameside on Sunday mornings. By the time I had PE in lesson 2 on Monday morning I was totally knackered.

Matches and seasons blur into one another after that but for some reason I can best remember the ridiculous and funny moments:

1. There was a character called Tommy Druggan at the club in the early years who was asked by a referee for the initial of the Ashford goalkeeper. He called out in front of the team, " Oi, Ernie what's your initial?" We all fell about laughing, our amusement being amplified by the fact that Tommy didn't seem to understand why we found his " faux pax" so funny.

2. At an away match there was a very young referee, aged about 15 or 16. He blew for half time and then disappeared into the dressing room ( we used to stay on the pitch in those days). He still hadn't emerged after 15 or 20 minutes and so one of the lads was volunteered to hurry him up. Apparently he knocked on the door, the ref answered " What do you want?" " We'd like to start the second half,please" " I will be out when I've finished my sandwiches!"

3. Alan C took umbrage to being fouled, threw a wild punch, the opposition player took evasive action and landed a punch on John Kelly's nose.

Believe it or not there was some football played in that era as well and although we played on a park pitch, Ashford had some very good players, who could have done well at a higher level.

There was our very own Pat Munns, who was a first class keeper, Bill King( who sadly died at the age of 29), Billy Green, Ian Lewis, Johnny Doe ( who could also tell as many jokes in a minute as a stand up comedian), Chris Davy and Charlie Marks. Alan Pincham will no doubt tell anyone who wishes to listen, what a top player he was as well.

My own favourite of that era was Johnny Willis who played in about the late seventies/ early eighties. He was then about 43/44 and despite his age, was still usually the best player on the pitch. I think that John had been with Wycombe and a few other top senior amateur clubs earlier in his career.

How do I send a PM or an email to you Gareth these days?

You can send a PM via this forum by clicking my name to the left of this post, which will bring up my profile. Within there is a link that says "send me a message".

Alternatively, go to the Club Officials page on the main website and click on the link for the webmaster@ email address. While I might not have updated the page yet, I am continuing to manage the club website moving forward so can be emailed via that account.

There is a wealth of material there, so I'd be happy to accept your input. Similarly, thanks to Steve for his input - more please, Mr C!

To all, I would add one final plea. Please, please, spread the word of my plea to those not reading/posting on the Forum so that the maximum number of people have an opportunity to have their say.

Archived