Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Set Pieces - Taking and Defending

Jeff

First of all, absolute stormer of a game last night (1st half aside) and if we can reproduce the fighting spirit then we can do Chester in the next round (team of hoofers!)

Anyway, I want to raise a point about the Fleet and set pieces.

When we take them, we seem to be a little bit clueless as to what to actually do with them. No-one seems to want to shoot for goal.

Have seen about 8 games this season and honestly cannot remember a decent free kick.

The corners seem to have slightly better delivery but surely being able to shoot on target from a set piece every once in a while should be a staple for football at this level (OK, they're not all David Beckhams but do you see my point?)

On the other side of the coin, how many goals have we conceded from corners or free kicks this season? Quite a few I would guess at. There seems to be a lack of organisation and basic marking at the back in these situations.

Am I alone in thinking this?

Not wanting to slag off the side and definately don't want to take away any of the gloss off of a wonderful cup tie last night but this is starting to bother me given our league position.

Agreed set pieces aer pretty dire, but I think we suffer from being part time. I remember a fans forum that Andy held in the bar some time ago. There was a training session before the forum and he told us that he had intended to practice corners. Problem was that at the time Skins was our main corner taker and he had cried off sick so Andy was a bit knackered.

Still think they could be better though

Lots of good points made, I believe that we must go back to basic defending on set pieces, their first goal last night was a complete miss hit, which if we had a defender on the far post would have been easily cleared. We appeared to adopt a different process of defending each corner last night, sometimes there were defenders on only the near post then on both. At one time I even saw two defenders on the one post. This disorganisation in defence must be worked out on the training ground if we are going to stop giving away stupid goals. Anyway it was a great overall performance by all our players last night, we never stopped fighting, Bring on Chester!!! COME ON YOU REDS

As far as defending set pieces is concerned, I have a suspicion that Wilko staying on his line rather than commanding his area makes it difficult to defend crosses and corners. Attacking players are able to get headers in at goal from within the 6 yard box, where Wilko should be claiming them every time.

Don't wish to knock as he has been superb for us, a fantastic shot stopper, and hero on Tuesday night, but it's just an observation.

Wilko is a great keeper especially in one on one situations and I agree Fleet Fella he doesn't command his area as well as he should for a big fella. Maybe this part of his play prevents him being the No.1 keeper for the Conference XI ? Always be the first name on the team sheet for me.

As an ex keeper in the NK sunday League, I agree with Paulo. Wilko looks like the best Fleet keeper ever on a one on one or shot stopping. If he gains enough confidence, through coaching, to command his 18 yard box,(and Wilko HAS the physique to scare forwards) I can see no other part in his game to prevent him going all the way in the football league. Some of his displays have been WORLD class, not just Football league class, and I don't think it will be too long before a top Premiership club picks up on the fact that Wilko makes astonishing saves week in , week out. We need to sign him on a full time basis, give him daily coaching, and give him a long contract.

Seriously, the man could be worth a whole lot of money if the big boys step in.