Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Middlesex Senior Cup Final!!!

Swifty

Staines were very nervous in the first fifteen minutes, we really needed to score during that period to stand a chance of winning the game. They started to play with more assurance after that, got their passing game going and scored a goal on the half hour which knocked the wind out of our sails. We had defended really well and so it was disappointing that the provider and scorer were given so much time to cross and head the goal.

We battled and played well for the entire match, but unlike other Ashford supporters I couldn't see us winning the game. Yes, their pink shirted keeper made a couple of decent saves at the end but it was all a bit too late. Still we should be proud of our players last night and also our supporters whose vocal efforts provided a proper cup final atmosphere.

Others on here have said that we stood off Staines too much but I suspect it wasn't easy playing a team, whose quality of passing was better than we are used to playing against.

For what it's worth, I utterly loathe *that* song and, pink kit or not, I really wish it had never been sung. That was the only negative point of the night for me, the support was otherwise terrific and was louder than the "Massive".

I think we should be proud of the team's performance last night. If we didn't do enough to win last night, that's at least in part because Staines were resolute and well-organised, particularly at 2-0. Ultimately, we were up against a team two levels higher than us and at times that showed - particularly when we had them on the defensive. Their back four were very good.

Beano, hopefully the big positive for you was meeting the songwriter / guitarist of one of your fave indie bands (if not your actual faves), who was reporting on the game for BBC London. :D

Maybe I was a bit harsh on the lads in frustration in my previous comment. What I forgot to say is that the final was played in very good spirit by both teams. I've got no qualms with losing the final to Staines - there are far worse teams in our county and indeed division who I'd hate to lose a final to.

A post on Staines Town's forum in advance of the final...

"If we were defeated I could not think of a better club to lose to. Ashford have worked so very hard, on a very limited budget, to recover from a couple of disastrous seasons and will hopefully climb back up the leagues in the near future.The local derby games in the Ryman were always a good contest and fun to watch."

Nice sentiment. Local rivals, with maybe a couple of players we'd rather not see playing for them, but a decent bunch overall. We could have far worse neighbours

Me again - I need to get a life!

I admit to calling the Staines keeper "Blobby" due to his kit colour (and he did laugh at that, thank goodness), but I made sure of getting Jack's attention and shouting "well done" and giving him a thumbs-up on the final whistle for a great performance between the sticks, and the perpetrators of the unsavoury comments near the end of the match and many of the behind-the-goal gang also applauded him. Not making any excuses for the comments by others, I'm just assuming the lack of a goal led to unwarranted frustration.

What I will say is, thankfully, our boisterous lads acknowleged what I thought was the man of the match performance by the Swans keeper, and he reacted very gentlemanly. That lad will go far.

A great occasion for the club being the first appearance in a Middlesex Senior Cup Final, and a performance of great credit. It was good to see such a large and noisy support from the terraces but can we please get rid of the inappropriate chants and bad language? At this level clubs are expected to "self-police" this sort of thing and fans should take responsibility for how they represent the club, especially when a sizeable chunk of the support was made up of young players and their families. Jack Turner has been gracious about it but surely by now sports fans are used to seeing players in various sports wearing pink to promote breast cancer charities and shouldn't feel the need to make cheap jokes about it. Calling it "banter" does not make it right. I agree with Beano that vulgar songs should disappear so that the club does not get the wrong sort of reputation.

Firstly i must say well done and congratulations on making the final as competitive as it was. Really impressed by the standard and professionalism of your players and management. Enjoyed watching the game, apart from the wind which was cutting through! Nevertheless, was a great cup final and quite unlucky not to get a goal. Trust me, i know how annoying Jack can be!!

Secondly, thank you all for your comments regarding Jack. I agree with some comments, some songs were a bit over the top but also as a football fan, frustration does leak in (I am a spurs fan so know the crack!) and you look for the closest and easiest target.

He told me after the game that he enjoyed it and takes absolutely no offence to any songs. He loves the banter. He wouldnt have applauded fans if he was upset in any way.

Anyway all the best for the season, always good for the local side to do well and performances like that, wont be long until you are back where you belong.

Cheers lads

Just a thought but, in order to counteract the criticism of our club, would the committee consider changing our away kit next season to pink and black (and advertise the fact in the local press)? You may be surprised that quite a few kit manufacturers these days make pink shirts with black trim or pink and black striped shirts.

Notts County have used two away kits this season - one's pink and black, and they've worn it several times, including at Walsall and Swindon Town, who wear all red!

Also, let's not forget Italian side Palermo, from Mafia country and an area full of hard men...and what colour shirts do they wear? Juventus also wore pink shirts until they were inspired by the kit of Notts County (them again!).

Edited by Swifty

I didn't know there was any criticism of our club. Other than internal stuff on here?

And in answer to the pink away kit..... No.

Lol

Firstly i must say well done and congratulations on making the final as competitive as it was. Really impressed by the standard and professionalism of your players and management. Enjoyed watching the game, apart from the wind which was cutting through! Nevertheless, was a great cup final and quite unlucky not to get a goal. Trust me, i know how annoying Jack can be!!

Secondly, thank you all for your comments regarding Jack. I agree with some comments, some songs were a bit over the top but also as a football fan, frustration does leak in (I am a spurs fan so know the crack!) and you look for the closest and easiest target.

He told me after the game that he enjoyed it and takes absolutely no offence to any songs. He loves the banter. He wouldnt have applauded fans if he was upset in any way.

Anyway all the best for the season, always good for the local side to do well and performances like that, wont be long until you are back where you belong.

Cheers lads

Appreciate the kinds words and pleased that "bro" took the behind the goal stuff in good spirit....

Hopefully we can do battle again soon

If I am correct in thinking that the fine Staines' keeper has a brother playing for Bedfont Sports, and in the knowledge that Matt Le Tissier or "Le God" to you and I, may be available for the game for Guernsey at Bedfont on 30th April (a Tuesday evening when Ashford are not due to play) it would be a good opportunity to watch the game and donate to the breast cancer cause that I am sure we all respect.

The game is between our next closest {mileage wise} neighbours and Guernsey, the latter of whom we could be playing next season?.

Wearing pink would be a good sign obviously, I already have my pink woolly hat ready for the night!

Edited by Keith B

You are correct Keith, Jack's brother Adam does indeed play for Bedfont..... And there is a re-arranged that was cancelled a few weeks ago against Guernsey in aid of breast cancer...