Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Gloucester City facing eviction from Whaddon Road

RalphC

Surprisingly enough our attendances are actually up at the moment,don't get me wrong,they are down from 5 years ago and if we do go down this season it will be interesting to see how we fare next season,but I believe our true level is around the 300 mark.

Surprisingly enough our attendances are actually up at the moment,don't get me wrong,they are down from 5 years ago and if we do go down this season it will be interesting to see how we fare next season,but I believe our true level is around the 300 mark.

I wouldn't like to guess what our gates would be if we ever return to Havering because it depends on too many factors, and how well we market the club. I would imagine though that Hornchurch would struggle to average 200 next season if you get relegated because the away support is not so good.

I think that if we go down we will do ok next season and challenge again.We have cleared our debts and arranged for the old rent to be paid so I believe we are in a healthy state.I have heard there will be improvements to facilities to the bridge,not all on the football side.I think we would average 250 plus still as the away support is probably better in ryman prem,at least it was better last season than this.For me,there is a lot of snobbery in the Connie south,they don't like a ground with a running track,they feel they are all league clubs and above that.You really would be shocked how some of the fans in this league really are,not all,but many seem to forget their non league roots.

Saturday is a massive game go us,lose and we will have to pick up quite a few points in our next four games,all away,Chelmsford,borehamwood,Dover and Dorchester.

Lose Saturday and it looks nigh on impossible but there are still some poor sides down the bottom,mainly Staines and Farnborough are apparently in trouble so 3rd from bottom may yet be enough

Farnborough are in big trouble on and off the pitch.

Alan,

That would never happen. City and FGR fans do not like each other at all (the rivalry is worse than City v Cheltenham and City v Merthyr which was always fiery).

The distance isn't too far, as Stroud is about 20 minutes away via the A4173 or the frequent Gloucester-Swindon/London Paddington rail services which call at Stroud. From Stroud Town Centre it's about 5-10 minutes to the ground at the top of Nailsworth.

Although they were hospitable enough to host us, when we got flooded in 2007, they made it quite clear that they did not want us long term. Hence, we quickly moved on to Cirencester's Corinum Stadium. After winning promotion from the Southern League, we were told that Cirencester's ground would not be good enough for BSN football and so had to move to Whaddon Road, Cheltenham.

Gloucester County FC has been mentioned in the past as a merged City/FGR side, and maybe business-wise it makes sense. However, fans would rather reform their own clubs in the Hellenic/Western League and start again than merge with each other.

Alan,

That would never happen. City and FGR fans do not like each other at all (the rivalry is worse than City v Cheltenham and City v Merthyr which was always fiery).

The distance isn't too far, as Stroud is about 20 minutes away via the A4173 or the frequent Gloucester-Swindon/London Paddington rail services which call at Stroud. From Stroud Town Centre it's about 5-10 minutes to the ground at the top of Nailsworth.

Although they were hospitable enough to host us, when we got flooded in 2007, they made it quite clear that they did not want us long term. Hence, we quickly moved on to Cirencester's Corinum Stadium. After winning promotion from the Southern League, we were told that Cirencester's ground would not be good enough for BSN football and so had to move to Whaddon Road, Cheltenham.

Gloucester County FC has been mentioned in the past as a merged City/FGR side, and maybe business-wise it makes sense. However, fans would rather reform their own clubs in the Hellenic/Western League and start again than merge with each other.

No disrespect intended Adam but denying future generations a localish club to follow (assuming both clubs go tits up) because the current supporters don't like each other, even though the majority probably have never even met, sounds pathetic almost beyond belief. A football club should focus on the future if it want to survive and prosper, and its bone headed attitudes like you describe that will kill non league football sooner rather than later IMO.

But Alan,without that rivalry football just simply wouldn't be the same

Agreed, and in the highly unlikely event of our clubs merging we would have twice as many local rivals.

Our greatest threat probably comes from D&R. I go over there when Romford are away and regularly see at least ten ex Hornchurch supporters, and usually more than double ours.The big attraction is the superior football and more importantly the atmosphere which reminds our ex fans of what we had many years ago.

I get your point, Alan, and in the event that both teams go nipples up maybe we should look at the possibility of at least using The New Lawn together.

It's a good stadium, and it's surprising (and ironic) that a small town side like Stroud/Nailsworth has such a good ground whereas Gloucester just has a rotting old ground at Sudmeadow (still standing but unusable) and has to play at the home ground of Cheltenham Town.

I get your point, Alan, and in the event that both teams go nipples up maybe we should look at the possibility of at least using The New Lawn together.

It's a good stadium, and it's surprising (and ironic) that a small town side like Stroud/Nailsworth has such a good ground whereas Gloucester just has a rotting old ground at Sudmeadow (still standing but unusable) and has to play at the home ground of Cheltenham Town.

IMO one of the first things a young family would look for if they want to get their kids interested in football are at the very least half decent facilities, affordable prices, nice atmosphere and a zero tolerance with regards to bad language. My grandson is just starting to get interested in football and I know if I took him to Romford, Hornchurch or any other non league club in my area he would probably never want to go again because it cant be much fun for a young boy standing with a load of coffin dodger talking about what happened fifty odd years ago.

It would be interesting to learn what the average age of Gloucester supporters is. The average at Romford is probably about sixty,which is not that much different to most Ryman League North clubs, Hornchurch is probably slightly lower but not by much. When I go to D&R I'm always impressed by how many young families and kids go and watch them, and their average age will probably be around the low forties. Although Dagenham's facilities and attendances are amongst the worse in the football league their future seems more secure because they work hard at promoting a family friendly image, and they refuse to spend money they don't have.

IMO a brand new club that is not stuck in the past could well be a better option than one that glorifies its past and pays little more than lip service to its future.

Interesting, as I'd say that most Gloucester fans are a mixed bag age-wise. You get your teenagers and twenty-somethings, but you also get the older generations although this season I've noticed that less older people are going and it tends to be (at most) 300 home fans at home games.

It's a bit like a Status Quo concert - you'll get all types and all ages.

Hornchurch is ridiculously low.

I think the older supporters are the reason our crowds have dipped.

Alot of efforts have gone into younger fans through the gates and it may well of alienated some older fans.

Our SA committee should be a screenshot of the situation

60+ 3

50 +1

40 +2

30 +3

20 +2

16+ 1

Edited by Eastside Urchin

• 2 weeks later...

Latest News: http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Tigers-weeks-save-Gloucester-City-Football-Club/story-18449132-detail/story.html#axzz2Nkd6tUSI

Four weeks to avoid oblivion.

After what I have heard recently about the club (dishonesty at the top) I am actually looking forward to oblivion! Get in the Hellenic next season and ground-share with Slimbridge. An investor, apparently, contacted the club with an offer but was turned away when he wanted to bring his own people in.

People will not hand over £20,000 for nothing.

http://cof.tigerroar.co.uk/showthread.php?4053-4-weeks-to-go

The natives are getting restless:

'Am I the only one struggling to get this into my head ?

Our owner would rather concentrate on the stadium planning application than pay £25k to save the club from going altogether ?

It doesn't make sense him building a stadium which will have no team to use it ?

Or am I missing the point ?

I'm usually an optimistic person by the past few weeks have me worried'

Exactly my thoughts, Eastside.

Colin Peake says it is not a PR stunt, yet reading between the lines that seems to be exactly what it is.

If Eamonn McGurk really has had enough, he would put the club up for sale. Eamonn won't, as he would lose out, and it seems that he is prepared to throw all our aces on Meadow Park/Sudmeadow.

Speaking with an ex Council Member recently, I was told that Gloucester City Council has not had questions it has raised about Sudmeadow/Meadow Park answered properly. These include:

1) Flood Alleviation

2) Insurance

3) Access Roads

4) Decontamination Of Land Around Meadow Park

5) Utilities

6) Financing

So without proper answers, how could the council give permission to a new stadium going ahead without insurance and no guarantee of no more flooding on the land it wishes to build on?

This post by Matt Phillips on the thread http://cof.tigerroar.co.uk/showthread.php?4024-Tigers-need-to-find-%A325k-to-bring-confidence echoes what I and other fans are thinking:

For what it’s worth, I may as well vomit my thoughts onto this thread. I thought I’d have a go at doing one of these stream of consciousness ‘mammoth’ postings because regardless of their content someone will always reply with ‘best post on this thread’ - perhaps Neil can start giving out prizes? Get ready for the longest post ever…

The distinction between those who are responsible for the day to day running of the club and those who are responsible for the planning application has long been hazy, but ultimately it’s the source of most of our troubles. We are told that it is ‘our’ club, that we can make a difference, and that the reason we are in this predicament is because there aren’t enough people helping. It isn’t enough that the Trust raise £25k a season. It isn’t enough that the Trust is essentially just a fundraising institution which enables the club to avoid taxes on certain things. It isn’t enough that the Trust raises funds and asks nothing in return, and has no control of the club, unlike every other Supporters’ Trust in the country. It isn’t enough that the average fan just turns up and pays to watch a game, despite being one of the 0.2% of the population of Gloucester who bothers to do so.

For whatever reason, the owner has decided that he doesn’t want to plug the gap at the end of the season again. I’d have thought that the fact he has done so for the previous umpteen seasons would be a good indicator that he would be expected to do so again this season, but he has decided to wait until we are in the last couple of months of the season to inform people of this decision. However, the fact he has put in £X million pounds means that he can do whatever he wants, so we can hardly criticise him for leaving it so late can we? So now it seems it’s our problem, and the blood will be on the hands of the supporters if the club is relegated because we haven’t been doing enough.

What a bunch of lazy b*stards we are.

For the last 6 years a lot of people have invested a lot of their time, effort, and money into keeping the club ticking over on the basis that it will be worth it in the end because we will one day return to Gloucester, free of the worries of flooding. People have put their complete faith in those responsible for dealing with the planning application. Even those people who just want to ‘turn up, pay their money and watch the game’ have done so partly because they just want to keep the club going through this exile. They may not contribute any further than that, they may not be Trust members, but their custom should be as valued as anyone else’s.

We all have friends and family who know we are Gloucester City supporters don’t we? We’ve probably tried our best to get them to come to the odd game. For the past 6 years, all they ask us is ‘what’s happening with the new ground then?’ First of all we told them that we had been assured that the club were ‘dotting every i and crossing every t’ because this application had to be absolutely perfect as a lot of money was being spent on it. Then a year later they ask us again ‘what’s happening with the new ground then?’ and we tell them that it’s a very complicated application which will be of benefit to many local residents and so it takes time. Another year passes – ‘what’s happening with the new ground then?’, the plans have been made public! The application is in, we are told, but there are just some ‘minor’ reports which are required to validate the application – bloody planners! Another 18 months passes, ‘what’s happening with the new ground then? I heard the council chucked out the plans?’ No, no, there was just some more information they required, we are assured that it will be back to committee within a matter of months and then it’s definitely going to be passed. 6 months later ‘whats happeni..’ F*CK OFF!!!

These days I try to avoid telling people I support City, because frankly I’m embarrassed. Not embarrassed about the superb team or management, or the supporters, or the people who work hard to keep things ticking over. I’m embarrassed to have to keep making excuses for people who have let us down. I don’t care how much money has been spent on it, I don’t care if the EA, the Council, the Planning Department have had their fingers in their ars*holes for the past 6 years, I cannot see how anyone can still have confidence in the people whose job it is to get us home. The only area of expertise we are lacking in is in Planning – yet supporters who have knowledge of planning are threatened if they dare to put their views forward. Views which have since been proved to be correct. Those people deserve an apology.

It can’t just be ‘our’ club when money is needed. You can’t have your cake and eat it. People have worked hard to get the team to the highest position in the football pyramid for 15 years on a playing budget which would be a shoestring in the Southern league. You can’t expect people to continue to invest their time and money, whether supporters or business people, without clear and transparent plans and timescales of what we intend to do at Meadow Park, or wherever, and when we intend to do it by. It was bad enough moving to Cheltenham in the first place, now we are on the verge of possibly our fourth season there and who knows how many more? Would we be happy for the club to stay at this level if it meant moving to Cheltenham on a permanent basis?? Because that’s what it feels like.

If it is ‘our’ club, then don’t just ask us for our money - listen to us. We want the club to speak to Gloucester Rugby. We want the club to speak to the Council and Redrow Homes about the Civil Service Club and the railway triangle. What should we do with the profit from Tuesday’s game? I suggest give it to Eamonn to spend it on a bus fare to Kingsholm and some biscuits to bring along to ingratiate himself, and perhaps they might want to invest in our club to give them some income every other week, and if nothing comes of it then at least he’s tried. That’s’ the best I can do, I’m all out of ideas.

The end.

If it goes tits up, then Gloucester loses a part of its community.

Some people think that the club is worth fighting for. I agree that they are right, even if 97% of Gloucester doesn't give a toss about The Tigers.

Had Kingsholm flooded, the Council would have bent over backwards. We've always been the poorer relation.