Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

I wonder if the future is...........

Fuzzy Royal

....the way Kevin has seen it at Windsor?

How long before more clubs at our level and maybe the level above us realise that they are a local club for local people and that should apply to the team as well?

Ever since Kevin changed the model the atmosphere around the club has been superb, the fans seem more aligned with the club, the players are local and you get a genuine feeling they are playing for the club. I can only imagine our club is in a reasonably stable financial position with not paying the players and this seems to create a feeling that we are all in this together.

I wonder if other clubs will see our success, not in winning leagues but in the structure and the building for the future. not throwing money at the problem but accepting it is going to take time to reach your goals.

Look at the wealth of talent Mick has got from the local area in a very short space of time and what he has achieved now think of the catchment area of a town like Slough and what they could possibly achieve if time was given to build a local team. There is no doubt they would have a rich pool to pick from, but would it be too brave a move to make, and would the fans understand and accept? I think most genuine fans would welcome a return to this common sense approach, if at least just to get a structure in place initially.

Given the state of football at the top end and the realistic financial constraints of a non league team (especially in step 4 and 5), it is no wonder so many clubs go bust chasing an impossible dream and ignoring what is really important. Maybe I am being to idealistic and dreaming of a Utopian club, but so far I can see very little wrong with what is happening here.

So to Kevin I would like to say well done on the strength of your convictions, and to Mick and the team, well done on proving him right.

I agree with all that but I really hope to see a more settled squad next season; whilst there are clubs still paying at our level and the one above we are always going to be vulnerable to cherry pickers.

£0 -v- £50 a week must be difficult to counter however much the players like the club, supporters, pitch, manager and team mates. Every one of those good teenagers we've had (still have) will, at some stage in the previous 3 or 4 years, have still harboured dreams of making it as a professional footballer and to be offered the chance of earning something is bound to be a big draw as it will help satisfy something deep inside of them, however small the amount might be.

Good thought provoking post Fuzzy.

As history has shown clubs that spent money they don’t have chasing short term results almost inevitably falls apart in the long term, as we know only too well.

Perhaps in the past we were guilty of burying out heads in the sand and not seeing what was staring at us in the face. We never really stopped and wondered

how a club with average crowds of less than 150 consistently had one of the biggest budgets in the league, we got used to it and enjoyed watching a side that won

most weeks without really worrying about the consequences of having such a successful side.

I think that is why people were so receptive and embraced the whole concept when Kevin removed the budget, everyone had seen the damage spending beyond the club’s

means had done in the past and knew change was the only sensible way forward. The feel good factor that is currently around the club is a joy to behold after some dark times

in recent history and shows it’s better to have a successful football CLUB rather than just having a successful football TEAM.

I’m sure what is happening at Windsor hasn’t gone unnoticed by other local clubs, it has to be the way forward but you have to wonder would other fans be as

patient as most of us were when we went 10 games without a win losing 9 of them, sometimes quite heavily.

Fortunately we had faith in Mickey and his team and knew it would eventually turn around, and boy has it turned around. We have a dynamic exiting young team

that is only going to get better, and the best part about it we know the players want to play for the club, can some of the other local teams genuinely say the same

about some of their players??

Wherever the team end up coming in the league, this season has been a unmitigated success on & off the pitch for the club. Massive congratulations to everybody involved.

Fuzzy, I think you've made some very points here and Mrs Cat I think you've summarised really well on how we all feel right now at the club. Personally, I've enjoyed this season, more than many that I can remember in all the years I watched Windsor & Eton for the very reasons you've stated. At the moment I'm seeing what's happening over at Slough and wonder what their supporters must be thinking and do they believe the model we have now is the way forward. Without doubt they have a side that is under performing, they have players that will be on good wages and if you take a punt that the wage bill there would probably be in the region of £2,500 a week, maybe less, maybe more. Over a 40 week season that's £100k just paid in to players pockets. Four years they have trying hard to secure promotion, but they haven't achieved it, and it looks likely they will miss out again this season. That's £400k they have paid out into players pockets, with not a lot to show for it, the odd FA Cup run, granted. Surely you have to start thinking what could a club do investment wise with £400k over a four year period, in terms of infrastructure etc. And it's not just Slough, it was us as Windsor & Eton and last year. Last year we spent out money on wages (funnily enough to half of what is now Slough's team!) and we didn't progress, we lost to Dorking last year and that cost us £1.5k or whatever in wages, this season we beat Dorking and it costs us £0. And other non league clubs are the same. But, we've shown this season, players don't need to hold the power, there are players, very talented players, that aren't in it for the money. We haven't got a playing budget, our players are loving playing for the club, they are turning down moves away from the club, the supporters are enjoying football more than we ever have and we have an infrastructure now at Windsor with all of the youth teams that is the envy of most clubs. It's painful to read the non league paper and read this club and that club are in financial troubles. Surely, other clubs must soon realise this is the way forward, local players, playing for local clubs. Give local talent a chance, it doesn't have to be about throwing over £400,000 away to chase a dream and not moving anywhere. Would be interesting to hear any Slough fan's perspectives or indeed fans from other clubs who feel they are just putting money/investment into players pockets. If Slough don't go up this year, next season should they try and rebuilt, restructure the club follow our model ensure that any monies generated goes into the club rather than the players pockets. Interesting debate Fuzzy, thanks for kicking it off!

So do you not accept that there is and will continue to be a problem keeping players?

The point you make about players wanting to play for the club is all very good but GG aside, I doubt that the other 12 players used in the game against CW had amassed more than 120 1st team appearances between them.

I know there are lots of reasons why but we have seen many many players decent players come and go this season.

Don't get me wrong, I am VERY happy with the way the club is being run and the entertainment on the pitch has been 1st class and makes you very proud to be a Windsor fan, but I really would like to see a more settled squad next year. I guess I am kind of resigned to the thought that won't be achieved whilst we are competing against clubs who will pay their players.

Now if we do become trendsetters (not that we're the 1st of course!) and others take similar action then it might become a more level playing field in that respect - but without Kalama, Whittingham and Pearse (who I got the impression were only here for this season) we would have been struggling for players again of late.

I guess what I'm saying is that although I see this as a long-term project that has started very well, I would not be surprised if we go back a few steps (in league position) next season because Mick is not going to be able to keep pulling quality rabbits out of the hat, week after week, month after month whilst the playing budget is zero.

Or maybe he is.

As a Slough fan I think you have some valid points Fuzzy. Years ago when I first started playing (back in the 70'S),

young players were proud to play for their home team club (for free). If you were paid, it was not an awful lot,

probably enough to pay for your Saturday night out. Sadly though, these days the money culture has filtered down

from the Premiership to our level, with good non-league players chasing money. I would love to see us having a local

side with players loyal to the club on less money. I think it can be done (as you guys have), but sadly the

higher up the pyramid you go, the Windsor model will not work, as good experienced non league players wont

play for free. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Rother - I think we do have a consistent spine to the team, we've just been hit by injuries, which happens. What it's shown is we've been able to bring more local talent in as cover (or promote from the youth team) and still not have to revert to paying wages out. It shows there is local talent that want to come and play for us, the net is wider than people (previous managers) think. This season was always about transition, and I think next year there will be a much more settled squad. Although what I will say is I think the squad is pretty settled now in terms of the core spine, just a number have been injured. You take Bully, Matt Day, Dan Hicks, Jay Kalama, Luke Dexter, Jason Sheeran, Harry, Lazza, George, Ben Harris etc, they have been at the club throughout and still are, just some have been hit by injuries rather than they have upped and level. In my mind we've only really lost Chris Ellis from what would be Mick's first choice 11. Hopefully next season we will be more injury free. Will some leave over the summer who knows. But what this season has shown is if they do there's plenty of talent out that's waiting to come in. But I do think it will take some serious offers for the core of this team to be taken away. A lot of local clubs have put money in front of our players this season and they all stayed, the reason being wages can be a myth. We offer you £75 a week to come and play, you do your maths and reduce your petrol costs for Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday training to and from, and that £75 becomes £20/£25, do you want to give up regular football, on a bowling green of a pitch, good support, you get looked after by the club better than most others for the sake of £20/£25. That's why it would take some serious offers for players to up and leave. But who knows, players are players!

Windsor Rebel - you're right the further you go up players want money, but that's where 'collectively' clubs needs to make the shift, if all clubs did (I know will never happen!) the power would have to shift to the clubs rather than the players, as players wouldn't have anywhere else to go. But I think right now, without doubt, clubs can definitely survive and in some cases thrive in their divisons at steps 4 and 5. Step 3 right now would I definitely agree be difficult.

I just think an interesting debate! I look at Ryan O'Toole whose scoring goals now at Slough, I don't know what wage he is on, but he will be costing Slough a good sum of money I'm sure. I look at Ben Harris for us and Ben is a Windsor lad, come up through the ranks, not earning a penny at Windsor but loves the club, and if you compare the two, having had Ryan with us last season, I would pick Ben every time, I think a more clinical finisher, and has a lot more to his game than Tooly. My point being there is talent out there that isn't going to cost clubs a fortune, it's just about having a manager that knows the local football scene and knows the local talent. Until this season we've not had that, and it's taught us a lot of lessons!

Having been on both sides, i.e. spending a big budget and now not spending any, I just wish we'd done it years ago!

Not saying this is necessarily the best 11 we have available but it would be lovely to see a team like this start next season:

Bullivant

Alex Bruce

Kalama

Hicks

Day

Lazarczuk

Dexter

Sheehan

Pearse

Gould

Harris

K Jones

Butcher

Minhas

Joseph

Fitzgerald

I'd like to see Whittingham in there but he was already in the "former players" section of the squad list on the website last week so I assume he's off. If he only came back to do us a favour on Wednesday then it's a real shame he picked up an injury (looked liked a groin strain the way he was holding himself?).

It'll be interesting to see how close this is to reality won't it?! :D

Whatever, I'm already looking forward to next season!

• 3 weeks later...

A very thought provoking thread,one I've enjoyed reading immensely. Being a Slough fan of many a year, I applaud what Windsor have achieved with their young,unpaid squad.

Slough,though,are in a somewhat different position but there's no doubt that we are not getting value for money with our squad or making the most of our young players in the reserves and under 18 side.

Hopefully,next season we'll address this matter.Slough need a blend of the young raw talent and the experienced non-leaguer.This would help balance the books,too.

I have to agree with Rother and Windsor Rebel,in the fact that Slough have to pay wages to compete at the top end of the table and it would be unrealistic not to.

Both Slough and Windsor are now well run clubs but both teams are at different stages of development and so the same strategy cannot be applied to both teams.

I think Slough fans have bigger expectations than Windsor, given we were once a conference team and our higher attendances. No offence mean't to Windsor fans. The two clubs have a very good history and pedigree.Just think Slough fans are far more impatient for success.Thus why we are currently trying to buy our way out of the division.

Clearly my comments were of an ideal that, if Windsor were to move up the leagues, would probably not remain viable. But I would caveat that with I don't think we would overpay like we did previously for players who were good but ultimately not right for the club. A number of those same players are now at Slough and have, unfortunately, proved the same again.

With regards to expectations, come the end of the season I personally think Windsor's realistic expectations (and also hopes) are no lower than Slough's, but possibly set over a longer and possibly more realistic timeframe. If the developments take place as planned the club would be come fully self funding and we could justify suitable wages to push for promotion at whatever level.

This brings me to the comment made about Slough being well run, I would agree with their own ground and ability to generate funds from more than just entry fees then they could, with their decent support, justify the wages being paid. My concern would be, being able to guess the sort of wages the players are probably on from their Windsor days (I  don't want to go down the "how do you know how much they are on?" argument so please just indulge me) trying to buy your way out can only last so long if success doesn't come. If Keith Scott had utilised the talent in our youth system at the time (shall I mention our three top goalscorers this season were all at the club at that time and totally underutilized)  then we would, in my opinion, have been more successful. This is where I believe Slough should be aiming, talented experienced players with young talented hungry local players. Considering Windsor can get some real quality players locally from a population that is roughly a sixth of the size of Slough, I would be shocked if Slough couldn't do the same.

I don't know how Slough are funded and this isn't an attack on Slough spending money or existing beyond means so please don't start on that, but merely that I would argue that the wages being paid are beyond what is required to win the league and continuing down that road may not be the answer (ask any WEFC fan, bitter experience can open your eyes very wide). One thing I have noticed at Windsor is that success isn't just on the pitch but also how the club is run, the attitude at the club and the ethos therein. I have enjoyed watching us play with local players who show a genuine desire to play, turning down offers to play for money because they enjoy it and then wanting to be around the fans after the game and join in with whatever we are doing.

But its all about opinions and maybe Slough will romp the league next year, maybe Windsor will, who knows? But I haven't looked forward to a season like this for many a year...........

Archived