Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Llanelli AFC Go Bust

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/llanelli-afc-wound-up-high-2992614

Very sad to see them go - Stebonheath Park is a great stadium too.

The people who were in charge have killed that club - it's not just Mr. Pikresh who is to blame for this sorry saga. They will most likely follow my hometown club of Cwmbran Town (League of Wales winners 20 years ago - how time flies!) and slip into oblivion.

I hope they and Neath FC can come back to life one day. With the Llanelli Scarlets Rugby Club also facing massive financial problems, due to the inflexibility of the Welsh Rugby Union (or W*nkers R Us) it looks like becoming a grim time for sport west of Swansea.

http://www.walesonli...up-high-2992614

Very sad to see them go - Stebonheath Park is a great stadium too.

The people who were in charge have killed that club - it's not just Mr. Pikresh who is to blame for this sorry saga. They will most likely follow my hometown club of Cwmbran Town (League of Wales winners 20 years ago - how time flies!) and slip into oblivion.

I hope they and Neath FC can come back to life one day. With the Llanelli Scarlets Rugby Club also facing massive financial problems, due to the inflexibility of the Welsh Rugby Union (or W*nkers R Us) it looks like becoming a grim time for sport west of Swansea.

Its the local sheep I feel most sorry for. At least they was safe on a Saturday afternoon.

Alan...dearie me. The sheep attached to the lamp post in Llanelli was the town's leisure centre as well.

Being serious, it does look as if they have paid the price for trying to be South Wales's version of The New Saints (TNS). They paid over the odds to get players like Andy Legg and Jason Bowen (former pro players) on board and suffered because of it.

£21,000 seems small beer, if you believe that their chairman is a wealthy man. Which fans of theirs have doubted for some time.

I'm sure they'll come back in some form soon though. The town of Llanelli is too big to not have a senior football club.

Alan...dearie me. The sheep attached to the lamp post in Llanelli was the town's leisure centre as well.

Being serious, it does look as if they have paid the price for trying to be South Wales's version of The New Saints (TNS). They paid over the odds to get players like Andy Legg and Jason Bowen (former pro players) on board and suffered because of it.

£21,000 seems small beer, if you believe that their chairman is a wealthy man. Which fans of theirs have doubted for some time.

I'm sure they'll come back in some form soon though. The town of Llanelli is too big to not have a senior football club.

So it was their own fault they went tits up.

Pretty much, although it's been going back years since Robert Jones (ex Wales Rugby Player and relation to Catherine Zeta-Jones) took them over.

After they had been relegated in the mid 2000s, he chucked lots of money at Llanelli AFC trying to make them the best side in Wales and able to compete with TNS and Bangor City (both these sides are regularly spending over £400 p/w on players).

They picked up 2/3rds of the old Merthyr Tydfil side, when Merthyr went nipples up, and also loaned in young Swansea City players and former Cardiff City youngsters, but there were stories going back two years that HMRC were after money and there were problems with players being paid late (or not at all).

Their secretary, Vic Gomersall (who I met once) was also a bit suspect shall we say. There was a lot of money going in from sponsors etc. but it seemed to go missing once inside the club offices.

Several more to follow, I fear.

I hate to say it, but, I did tell you so !!

Archived