Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Disappointing

andyetfc

We will have to agree to disagree FJ.

No reason why we cant create an atmosphere like how Carshalton did on Saturday, I'm sure the team would respond far better to 20-30 fans singing than 3 or 4 morons shouting abuse at our own players or opponents. 

With you on the second point 100%.

No-one is telling anyone what or what not to sing.

However, compare the atmosphere behind the respective goals on Saturday in the second half. Had I been a neutral, I know which end I'd rather have been standing

FJ, their would be no way i'd stand behind a goal and watch my beloved football with Dorothy in a moustache and beard and the Tin man but I understand that it may be the better option to the Victor Meldrew and Alf Garnett wannabe's.

Conclusion, I pay an extra £1 and sit quietly in the grandstand.

as an old member of the original behind the goal choir, whats changed is that 4-5 of the original 15 or so of us don't come regularly anymore. in my case its because of having young kids, but things do change.

As far as I and many other Town fans are concerned, Barnet ARE still our rivals, Neither I, nor the other fans who actually make the effort to sing, need you to tell us who are our rivals are and what we can and can't sing.

I would rather hear anti Barnet songs than listen to the embarrassing and moronic abuse that some people seem to think is ok to dish out to visiting goal keepers.

Or even the occasional pro Enfield Town song...

I stop joining in the singing with all the spurs songs and I wasn't the only one.

Agree with some of the points raised so far in this thread ...

I don't particularly enjoy hearing supporters continuously criticising players throughout an entire game - however, frustrations of a poor performance can certainly lead to this and is understandable in some respects - so long as it isn't nasty and isn't continous to the point where it just becomes bullying. 

We have to remember that these players aren't superstars and the majority of them are playing at a level of football they simply aren't used to. If a player gives 100% throughout a game but simply isn't good enough, then he should not be criticised but encouraged. However, if a player only gives 70%, gets sent off for a ridiuclous challenge, then gives the referee a verbal tirade - then they SHOULD be criticised. Again, in a sensible way so that he knows he has displeased people - but the next game he plays the slate is clean.

With regard to singing about Barnet; well, why not? Football rivalries are a good way of uniting fans in a common cause. But, if every single song is Barnet related then it becomes quite boring and unimaginative. The hatred of Barnet still exists in some quarters (especially the older supporters) so why try to quell it when it's actually quite good in uniting us - and perhaps bringing back some good memories? Yes, they're echelons above us in terms of the standard of football, but it's still nice to see them lose. 

What I do agree with 100% though is the pointless anti-Tottenham or Arsenal songs. WHY? People support either one of those clubs generally in Enfield, so it seems ridiculous to sing about them when it divides us - and has been mentioned already - was a reason why some people don't sing anymore.

What else was there? Oh, lack of singing by Enfield fans. Well, I discussed this in a previous thread. We need a hardcore of 15-20 fans to stand TOGETHER behind the goal at every single game and make noise together. Every time I go to a game, I stand with 2 or 3 others and do my best to make a bit of noise. But when you're singing "Come on you Towwwwwn" on your own for the 3rd time, it gets a little bit annoying.

We need an Ultras section - with none of the bad connotations associated with it from some areas of Europe. We need a big flag to identify ourselves at games, and committed people - who may or may not actually know each other outside of Enfield Town FC - who will stand together, and support each other mutually in singing songs. I intend to start another thread about this shortly, with an invite to all those interested to share email/facebook addresses to get in contact with each other and to arrange where to stand before the game and share a few pints before/afterwards.

Like I said, it only take 15 or so people to make a decent "crowd" noise, and with that, others will join the group who were standing at the side.

Lee

Firstly I have no problem with our fans having an open brainless rivalry with a 'local' club albeit one in Edgware now. Let's face it it was hot rivalry with the old Enfield and don't see why that should mellow.

Disappointing??? Yes the season did petter out in a very uninspiring way, but I think the players gave their all and did the best of their abilities which their fitness allowed.

On a whole it was not a disappointing season and that we can all be proud of our club. What will be really disappointing is if we do not move on and improve our player strengths and league position for next season. We have to seek continuos improvement no matter how little, even if it's a league position or two to the better it will be a move into the right direction. One thing which we must'nt allow is our club to be embroilled in a relegation dog fight as that will be going backwards.

However IMO from the 42 league games this season The only one 'disappointing' game of real note otherwise we were the beacon status club of Ryman Football.

Firstly,lets not get bogged down on the amount of singing! Whitehalk have managed to win the league without much crowd support..Considering how dissapointing we have been in a fair majority of games,i thnik the lack of criticism and discent from the crowd has been commendable and our continued backing of the team during poor runs may have help AVOID relagation by not putting undue pressure on struggling players.

Also to try to argue that Barnet are not our rivals is perdantic and obtuse..They continue to be the fans historic and spiritual rivals,even if they are not the clubs current playing rivals.

Finally,i personally feel we need to discard well over half of the current squad.We are currently a fair degree weaker than the side that got us promoted last season.when we should have added too and improved the squad..Not sure if Steve can bring in half a dozen player of significantly better quality than those currently here,or if a new manager( with a new pool of players to bring with him) would have to be the answer..What i do feel is that Steve deserves to be in charge new season and  be given a chance to turn things around.But a top half finish is minumum requirement in my view.    

I do agree (and therefore disagree with Steve) that the squad is actually IMO weaker than last season with the losses of players such as Osei, Ewang and Moore. However, I think it will be even harder next year with the teams that will be added to the league - Grays, Maidstone, Billericay, Hornchurch. Nothing higher than 15th with this current squad is the most optimistic we could be. Top half - no chance.

Well, we have to believe that the Board and SN will sort it out.

Clearly, some of the squad need to be replaced.

Clearly, some players are not up to the level required.

One has to assume that SN is aware of this and will do something about it.

If he does not...we are in trouble.

If he does....who knows !!!

My opinion for what its worth.. we need to replace at least 5 players with better quality or at least have the quality to improve the squad.

Agree with CD Towner in that the league will much stronger next season. Maidstone away should be good trip with a new ground and 3g pitch.. With their big crowds I think they'll do well.