Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Guernsey in Ryman Div 1 South

It's yet to be decided if Guernsey FC will enter the Cup. As with 46 League games plus the FA cup will already be quite a full schedule.

@HKP

Interesting about the LC, but what troubles me is a repeat of the fixture pile ups as you had last season, when you had to fly multiple teams over last month each weekend for fixtures on Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. If we have the same number of postponements as we've had in the season just finished I think the same will have to apply for the coming season, as you cannot expect the likes of Bury Town of Lowestoft (or indeed any club) to make it there mid-week.

Presumably also the teams in Div 1 South will be getting financial help to get there - either from GFC, the Ryman League or both?

Still the fa cup and trophy.

Fa Cup for sure, FA trophy still to be decided.

@HKP

Interesting about the LC, but what troubles me is a repeat of the fixture pile ups as you had last season, when you had to fly multiple teams over last month each weekend for fixtures on Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. If we have the same number of postponements as we've had in the season just finished I think the same will have to apply for the coming season, as you cannot expect the likes of Bury Town of Lowestoft (or indeed any club) to make it there mid-week.

Presumably also the teams in Div 1 South will be getting financial help to get there - either from GFC, the Ryman League or both?

I agree with your concerns, over fixture pile-up and possibly why they club are looking at what Cups they should enter. It was an unusual winter for weather, a very wet summer followed by a very wet winter. The water table was very high and water simply would not drain. Just as many games were called off becuase of the Vase run as due to the weather. The club are working closely with the owners of the pitch (the local Culture and Leisure Department) to ensure that this is not repeated. The previous season there were no real problems with the pitch.

As for cost, in the CCL GFC were responsible for getting 23 (I think it was) people to the island, i.e. pay for their flight and hotel and also transport them to and from the game. Basically its up to the visiting clubs to get themselves to Gatwick Airport (the FA consider Gatwick Airport as our base) and they are very well looked after from there. Visiting clubs have all said how well they are treated by Guernsey FC on their arrival.

Guernsey did not play ANY mid-week home matches last season, all on weekends.

Edited by HKP

@HKP

Thanks for the info, it was unusual towards the end of the season but you got there in the end. If anything last season is as bad as it gets so at least you have shown you can get your fixtures played.

I was jumping ahead of myself by mentioning Bury and Lowestoft who are in the division above, perhaps I was presuming you'll get another promotion this coming season!?

I'm sure though that there's lots of players and supporters in Div 1 South looking forward to a very unique away experience next season. A very early good luck to you.

Edited by Chase Side Towner

It was a condition of entry into the CCL and Vase. Has also been the case when other Guernsey teams entered the Vase previously or the various County Cup Competitions.

I wish it was the "same old teams". Since the old Enfield were last in the Ryman Premier Dagenham and Redbridge, Wycombe Wanderers, Sutton Utd, Bishops Stortford, Hayes and Yeading, Boreham Wood, Yeovil have all gone on to bigger and better things.

You get the feeling we've been left in their wake havent we mate. We need to change our constitution " and soon" Time to duck here comes the Inner circles mates to tell me otherwise lol.

Have to disagree with you there OTT. The old Enfield got lost in their wake whilst ETFC have been trying to play catch up since forming in 2001. Lots of teams who have been going for years would like to be in our position, ie., members of the Ryman premier league. We all can't have instant success as there aren't too many Russians around!

In an interview on the Non-League Show the GFC Chairman did say that some midweek matches in Guernsey were inevitable due to the League having 24 teams.

The problem with remaining a fans run club is that it can only go so far. I think last season proved that. The emerance of Guernsey FC is a fact we cant ignore . It may well be they too overtake and leave us behind. We are not big enough to rival Wimbledon and FC United's progress to a higher level. We must change our constitution to a business type owner or stagnate.

It is my belief that eventually all football clubs should be fan owned.

Problem is,us football fans have high expectations,it is important for fans,especially those influential ones who are close to their club to know their limits.

A club like Enfield Town,should at the moment not think of anything more than the Conference South,problem is,we all want league football,the promised land and we can't all get it.

An area like Enfield is different from the Enfield of the 70's and 80s,immigration has grown,many dont feel a affiliation with the local area,the same as many of your older fans and their families before them who grew up there.Its the same in most big towns and city's.

Big non league clubs like Hendon,Ilford,Romford,wealdstone,Harrow to name a few could probably site a similar problem.

It doesn't mean though that an owner should be found with big bucks,that's not the solution,at least not long term.

It probably just needs new ideas every now and then,a cup run or another promotion,but don't give up on the dream of a fans run club climbing further up the leagues,its a nice dream