Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Conference North/South Split

It seems to be a national thing.

Maybe the F.A. are still using  'Noddy's Guide To Britain'  !

Short of asking Ladderman to come over from NLM to explain it, here is why:

Bishop's Stortford were moved over to the North when Rushden & Diamonds were wound up, in order to 'balance' out the leagues.   Bishop's Stortford did not want to switch, but were told by the FA they had no choice but were given £25,000 to cover travel costs.

Now that the leagues for next season have more northern sides coming in, Bishop's Stortford can move to the South where they belong.  Oxford, Brackley and my team (Gloucester) aren't too keen on being in the North (Gloucester's travelling journey is the same as to Mumbai and back!) but with the M40 and M5 nearby, it helps travelling to northern outposts like Workington and Harrogate.

I'd far rather Bishop's Stortford go South than us, they deserve it more.  Besides, we have some good'close' games v Worcester, AFC Telford United, Solihull, Oxford, Brackley and Leamington to look forward to.

The really worrying thing is, Adam, my 'tame-spy' very closely connected to the F.A. tells me that if things don't rapidly improve financially in this country, it has been projected that by the end of this coming season, many teams will have to fold which will make things even harder to sort out the 'pyramid'.

It's all well and good moving clubs to other Leagues, but then the cost of travel must be taken into account.  Money  -  Something lower non-league clubs just don't have !

Time for big Premiership clubs to be levied a tax to help out grass-roots football ?  After all - Seems that money is no object to them !

I would not be surprised at all, John, and something needs to be done to insure clubs against closure.

The problem is that some clubs will do nothing until it is too late, as they don't want 'outsiders' meddling.  However, without 'outsiders' coming in, what can clubs do to keep going?

Should clubs put insurance bonds up with the FA each season? Or would that be a drain on already limited and minimal finances? 

There has to be a way forward for these clubs, as decaying grounds and a skeletal Step 6 for a number of leagues (Combined Counties, Hellenic, Wessex) does nothing for grass roots.  

Archived