Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Saving the Non League Game

There is no doubt the Non League Game is in serious trouble.

One step will save the game.

Make it completely amateur again.

Players to not get paid at all

Good idea in theory, in practice it will just mean a return to brown envelopes, or money stuck in players boots.

* Reform the FA and put fans on the FA board (including those at non-league clubs).  If no Home Nation wins a major tournament by 2018/2020, sack the lot of them.  

* Invest more in grass-roots.

* Make it harder for clubs to fold and reform.  Tell clubs that if they fold, and have done nothing to help save themselves, they cannot reform for a period of time and have to pay back 100% of what they owe in order to avoid a Portsmouth type scenario in the future.  It sounds harsh, but it closes the reformation loop-hole and encourages people to either run their club properly or they will be punished.  Why should,for example, a Step 2 side be allowed to go bust and reform under a new name two steps down?  Also, club officials have to listen to offers of help even if these offers come from outside the local area and should be obliged to step aside if somebody can run the club better than them.    

* Clubs actually have to communicate with fans.  In my line of work, I have to answer all messages/requests within 24 hours (I try for 12 but sometimes due to a full inbox or a customer or two being late paying me it's not always practical.  Plus I have to eat, sleep, shop and breathe like most other people).  Clubs that don't or won't talk to fans are letting themselves down.  You never know that the chap you talk with on Monday morning won't be giving you a big investment on Friday afternoon.  If clubs don't talk, fans won't listen.

* For club owners and directors, treat your club like it matters, and not as a rich-man's play thing.

* Clubs should hold trials for new players throughout the year, and engage the community in community days and galas/fetes etc.

* Use the clubhouses for more than a watering hole for the fans.  Get bands in, or speakers, or local clubs/organisations.  Wedding Receptions or Funeral Wakes could also be held there.

* For club owners and directors, think outside the box, and don't be a lemming!

* Hold an annual pre-season celebrity v first team match at your club for a local charity.  A great way to drum up interest.

* Hire out club facilities to the community, and realise that the club belongs to ALL not a FEW.

* Reform the FA and put fans on the FA board (including those at non-league clubs).  If no Home Nation wins a major tournament by 2018/2020, sack the lot of them.  

* Invest more in grass-roots.

* Make it harder for clubs to fold and reform.  Tell clubs that if they fold, and have done nothing to help save themselves, they cannot reform for a period of time and have to pay back 100% of what they owe in order to avoid a Portsmouth type scenario in the future.  It sounds harsh, but it closes the reformation loop-hole and encourages people to either run their club properly or they will be punished.  Why should,for example, a Step 2 side be allowed to go bust and reform under a new name two steps down?  Also, club officials have to listen to offers of help even if these offers come from outside the local area and should be obliged to step aside if somebody can run the club better than them.    

* Clubs actually have to communicate with fans.  In my line of work, I have to answer all messages/requests within 24 hours (I try for 12 but sometimes due to a full inbox or a customer or two being late paying me it's not always practical.  Plus I have to eat, sleep, shop and breathe like most other people).  Clubs that don't or won't talk to fans are letting themselves down.  You never know that the chap you talk with on Monday morning won't be giving you a big investment on Friday afternoon.  If clubs don't talk, fans won't listen.

* For club owners and directors, treat your club like it matters, and not as a rich-man's play thing.

* Clubs should hold trials for new players throughout the year, and engage the community in community days and galas/fetes etc.

* Use the clubhouses for more than a watering hole for the fans.  Get bands in, or speakers, or local clubs/organisations.  Wedding Receptions or Funeral Wakes could also be held there.

* For club owners and directors, think outside the box, and don't be a lemming!

* Hold an annual pre-season celebrity v first team match at your club for a local charity.  A great way to drum up interest.

* Hire out club facilities to the community, and realise that the club belongs to ALL not a FEW.

Great post Adam

It is but all if those things would have to be gradual,over a 10-15 year period as I doubt the game would be able to take it if all thrown together at once but not one of those points do I disagree with.

The fact remains that "non league " "amateur" football remains a very special enigma,something no other country can replicate due to our passion for the game.

Lets make it clear,we may not scream, sing,shout,curse as loud as some other nations but the passion for the game in this country far outweighs anything in any other country and the Non league game is and should remain the forefront to it all.

My original post is that payments should be stopped,many would simply stop playing if this did happen bug at least you would have an idea on how we foils do it

Until things improve dramatically financially world wide, I fear many small clubs will perish.

Archived