Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Match officials

blindpugh

Although having seen only the two opening matches of Kidderminster Harriers season, I am already more worried than I was last season regarding the competence of Conference match officials. In both matches there were, what could only be described as glaring schoolboy errors by the referee and his assistants. Add to that a large helping of inconsistency and I feel that match official's incompetency is going to have more of an influence on deciding the title and relegation issues than any teams footballing ability.

And it seems pointless appealing red cards however bad the decision. It seems the league will not have any criticism of their match officials. Also, I wonder if journalists on the Non League paper are under threat from the league as well. Most seem to mark referees with 7/10 when a 4/10 would be more appropriate

I have to agree, coming up from the Ryman Premier I hoped that the quality of officiating would improve now that we're in the Conference South, however 2 games in and I must admit that they are either just as bad or worse than what we encountered last season.

Inconsistencies were apparent in both the Beachboys games so far, well you could say consistently inconsistent. Last night Chelmsford were given a penalty which upon reviewing thanks to our club video guy should never have been given, also admittedly our second goal was a handball and shouldnt have counted, but the officials all missed it. A rather blatant shove by a Basingstoke defender whilst our attacker was in mid-air was also missed or claimed not to be a foul. There were also questionable bookings in both games for both sides.

Yes it's only 2 games in, 1 for some, but it doesnt look good. All i can say is that i hope it improves as the season goes on!

I have to agree, coming up from the Ryman Premier I hoped that the quality of officiating would improve now that we're in the Conference South, however 2 games in and I must admit that they are either just as bad or worse than what we encountered last season.

Inconsistencies were apparent in both the Beachboys games so far, well you could say consistently inconsistent. Last night Chelmsford were given a penalty which upon reviewing thanks to our club video guy should never have been given, also admittedly our second goal was a handball and shouldnt have counted, but the officials all missed it. A rather blatant shove by a Basingstoke defender whilst our attacker was in mid-air was also missed or claimed not to be a foul. There were also questionable bookings in both games for both sides.

Yes it's only 2 games in, 1 for some, but it doesnt look good. All i can say is that i hope it improves as the season goes on!

Don't bank on it getting any better, it didn't last season, in fact things got worse as the season wore on. I think I can honestly say I only saw one match in the whole season where you could say the match officials were reasonably competent.

• 5 months later...

It astounds me how poor the refereeing and linesmen are on the skrill north league. I have seen better on local Sunday league matches. We are now halfway through the match fixtures and to be honest there have been very few good ones.

It now appears to be a lottery ad to who you get and how it will affect the result. I never thought I would have to say this.

What training do these officials get? Are there assessor s and if so what happens to their reports? Do the match officials have due tests?

Why are they not consistent?

Someone commented on the relatively high scores the nonleague paper give the refs. This is the same paper that doesn't know which teams are in the skill north, you just need to look at their website. Absolute joke.

hoping next match we will be treated to some decent match officials, but then again I could be dreaming. The inconsistencies are spoiling this level of football. The league need to take some urgent actions to recognise and sort out this issue once and for all.

• 8 months later...

Well, here we are, well into the 2014/15 season and the situation is worse rather than better regarding the quality of match officials. Inconsistency and incompetence amongst referees is definitely worse this season than it was last. We are now 14 games into the season and I have yet to see a referee who I could say was up to the standard required for the Conference. Today, 25/10/2014, I think I have seen the worst yet. Not just the referee, a Mr Richard Martin but also his two assistants. I am not blaming then for my teams defeat to Eastleigh in the 4th qualifying round of the FA Cup but they certainly influenced the result. How can a player be offside when he is tripped by an opens has he runs past AFTER the ball has been kicked? (offside given instead of free kick) three blatant penalties missed, numerous incorrect offsides, pushes, shirt pulling obstructions never given. If Mr Martin had refereed a Sunday morning pub match like he did today, I think there would have been a good chance he would have finished up in hospital as the result of an assault. Time for the FA to have a long hard look at the competency of some of their officials instead of jumping on club managers that critics them.

Archived