Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Greg Dyke's 'Grand Speech'

Zippy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23963416

Just hope it is not the 3R's:

Ruddy Regurgitated Rhetoric.

Will this work, or is this more toilet pan than major plan?  Especially when you consider: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22687663

Edited by Zippy

Certainly a rather interisting  'point of view'  !

Then again  -  Mr Dyke used to control television  -  NOT football !!

Well reports like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24015370

Will certainly not do much for confidence in the FA.

I know it is 'innocent until proven guilty', but somebody must have a sizeable pile of dirt on Gordon Taylor for the BBC to take note.

To be fair I thought Dyke's speech was on a par with Churchill's 'Fight Them On The Beaches', Lincoln's Gettysburg Address and Martin Luther King's 'I Have A Dream', he will be a breath of fresh air at the FA.

Rhodes, you can try to polish a turd - you can decorate it in glitter and try to make it smell less.  At the end of the day, the turd remains what it is.

Without MAJOR change, England will continue to slide backwards and won't qualify for the major tournaments.

I'd start by making the FA a voluntary organisation - take away the cash from the pig's trough and see how many people do it for the love of the game.  I bet none of the current incumbent suits would do it.  Next, allow young players to express themselves and develop their own skills and don't demand they play a certain way.

Going back to the old 5 foreigner rule could help as well (would not count Wales/Scotland and Northern Ireland as foreign) and let us invest in 3G/4G pitches, floodlights and more youth clubs nationally.  

The main point (and you get a bonus for this) is how do you get an apathetic teen/20 something millionaire to give a toss about the country he is from, in a time where anybody seen as patriotic and flag saluting is slandered as right wing, extremist or bigoted (it's Political Correctness gone mad!)?

If England don't win a major tournament by 2018, sack the whole lot of them (the FA) as they clearly then will not be fit for purpose.

We always manage to shoot ourselves in the foot don't we, had we appointed Brian Clough in 1977, after failing to qualify for Argentina, we would have no doubt gone on to win the 1980 European Championship in Italy, the 1982 World Cup in Spain and probably the 1984 European Championship in France too. Exactly the same thing has happened now hasn't it with the appointment of the un-charismatic Roy Hodgson instead of Harry Redknapp.

While Brian Clough was to many a top manager and no one could doubt his managerial abilities,he was a lunatic,drunk and a walking time bomb.

He would of somewhere along the line embarrassed the FA and they probably knew all about his "issues"

Which is probably another reason why a big club never really tried to get him

He only really turned to the bottle after his friendship with Peter Taylor fell apart.  

Brian Clough should have been England boss, but the FA mainly choose nodding dogs who won't rock the boat:

Ron Greenwood (better than Brian Clough?)

Sir Bobby Robson (probably one of very few times the FA got it right)

Graham Taylor (turnips anybody?)

Terry Venables (a good appointment, won the players respect and Euro 96 was a success)

Glenn Hoddle (again, a good coach, but his personal life and beliefs got in the way)

Kevin Keegan (fantastic as a player, but never really commanded respect of the players - too 'pally')

Sven Goran Eriksson (looked more like a kindly Geography or Science teacher than a football manager)

Steve McLaren (wally with a brolly)

Fabio Cappello (didn't seem to give a toss about the job and chose the wrong team for World Cup 2010 - Robert Green should NEVER have been picked ahead of Joe Hart for that tournament)

Roy Hodgson (another calm, don't rock the boat type manager)

As much as some people can't stand Neil Warnock or Ian Holloway, I would sooner have a manager of their passion and dedication in charge.

While Brian Clough was to many a top manager and no one could doubt his managerial abilities,he was a lunatic,drunk and a walking time bomb.

He would of somewhere along the line embarrassed the FA and they probably knew all about his "issues"

Surely his talent was turning small clubs into big ones.

Like Leeds United you mean

Brian Clough's strength was Peter Taylor. No Peter Taylor, no brakes on Cloughie's ego, no balance, no one to make excuses for Cloughie.

Its probably fair to say they complimented each other perfectly, and produced successful teams that played attractive football.

Yes they did. Worked well together, complete opposites of course but there's no dog and pony show without the dog.

I didn't have a lot of time for The Damned United, but a key line in that film was:

'Oh, yes. You're the shop window.  I grant you that. The razzle and the bloody dazzle. But I'm the goods in the back and without me......without somebody to save you
from yourself, Brian Clough......you're not just half!  You're nothing!'

Back to England, and if they don't get at least to the last 4 of World Cup 2014 and Euro 2016 then things will have to change.  Sometimes you have to dig deep if you want to rid a garden of weeds.

EDIT: The FA preaches about RESPECT, as if it were a religion, when in fact it shows very little of it.  Seems that the Respect relationship is one way only.
Edited by Zippy

Greg Dyke's words have not gone down well with Swindon Town owner Jed McCrory:

'SWINDON Town chairman Jed McCrory has waded into the state of English football debate by saying ‘invest in the Football League as the Premier League will not change’.

Last week Greg Dyke, the new chairman of the Football Association, addressed the nation’s footballing contingent - speaking outwardly to fans, coaches, players and journalists in search of an answer to the decline in numbers of homegrown talent in the Premier League.

In doing so, Dyke announced his intention to chair an exploratory commission which will assess how only 32 per cent of starters in the English top flight are actually English, how the downturn can be reversed and what Premier League clubs must do to assist in that process.

For McCrory, however, a passionate advocate of lower-league football and what he terms ‘the working class game’, it’s no use trying to treat the upper echelons of the sport in this country when the problem lies much deeper.

Furthermore, he questioned Dyke’s suggestion that the FA are unable to influence the development of young footballers.

In retaliation to Dyke saying “there are areas that we do not directly control – youth development in particular,” McCrory was scathing in his criticism of a financial model he feels unfairly rewards failure and inadequately gives smaller clubs a chance.

In a candid discussion with the Advertiser, the Town chairman stressed that the Premier League would never change its ways, that the problem in this country goes “way beyond” an apparent deficit in coaches compared with other European juggernauts and that if Dyke and the FA want to reverse a worrying trend, they need to consider cutting the size of parachute payments and rebalance the size of solidarity payments handed out to clubs relegated to the Premier League.

Instead, McCrory wants to see cash pumped into youth setups in the Football League.

He said: “The fact Greg Dyke is interested in improving our coaching and youth to aid the England team is great news. However, I feel having a review to ask how only 32 per cent of starters in the Premier League are English is irrelevant as it’s obvious.

“The Premier League clubs’ commercial value is vast and the need to stay in the top flight is such that clubs don't, rightly from their perspective, look at what nationality you are, they just ask ‘can you help keep us up?’ “So the point I ask is what are you going to do about it?

“Let’s be realistic, the Premier League won't change as too much money is involved as it is global commodity in its own right, which is no bad thing for the English game as a whole.

“So what is the way forward for grass roots football and the link into pro football for young English talent?

“I believe it goes way beyond just coaching.

“Society has changed. Youth centres are not open as much as they should be due to government funding cuts, kids don't play on the streets like they did 20 years ago, parks are not filled with kids playing football or any sport for that matter and most Football League clubs don't have the funding requirements required to supply coaches or scouts to reach out to those kids. Community football is dying.

“So how can the FA sort this situation out?

“Firstly, I believe the solidarity payments which have been dictated by the Premier League need to be rebalanced.

“Around £5.5 billion has gone into football through such payments, with 93.27 per cent going into the top flight for its 20 members to share while 6.73 per cent is shared between 72 teams, £195 million over three years.

“Additionally, the Football League receives £240 million in solidarity payments but the crucial point is that £177 million is reserved for parachute payments from the solidarity funds.

“To describe what this means to the lower levels of the game, I’ll take the example of Millwall. They receive £1.8 million plus £2 million in solidarity payments. They are a steady Championship team currently and yet they will play against a team who gets relegated from the Premiership over the next three seasons on a financial footing of £23 million in year one, £18 million in year two and £9 million in year three.

“It’s a nice reward for failure and hardly competitive and fair on teams chasing the dream of Premiership football. When £23 million plays £3.8 million it’s abject injustice.

“This needs to be fundamentally addressed to ensure a more even spread of funds, and good financial housekeeping for relegated teams from the Premiership should be enforced.

“Clauses regarding relegation should be inserted into contracts, which will assist relegated teams from the Premiership and allow a fairer spread of funds.

“I believe those extra funds should be diverted into the Football League’s youth academies, which currently cost lower league clubs six figures annually to keep open.”

McCrory’s aim is to promote Swindon’s academy status within the Elite Player Performance Plan to category two. To do that alone would mean an outlay of around £300,000 annually.

“Additionally, there is only a minimal scouting network currently available to these clubs, which restricts the chance of good local talent being spotted,” he said.

“We should encourage the Football League to recruit and train English kids, with a funding facility to aid the coaches and players coming to the end of their careers to get involved in teaching kids with their badges being partly paid for.

“We could create a purchase band for young English talent to move from the Football League to the Premiership, as in theory they are helping lower-league clubs to create better English talent and bringing them to the forefront.

“In summary, if the FA have the funding, I believe it should be invested in a Football League model as the Premier League will not change.

“I believe investing in the Football League will aid the British game going forward and encourage grass roots sport, as well as giving back the working class game to the fans.”

And according to McCrory, the buck cannot be allowed to stop simply with the men and women who decide where football’s millions is diverted to.

In his eyes it is a governmental issue as well.

“One of my other points is we need greater involvement from local government, who are making cuts and reducing the youth house facilities for local kids if we are going to regenerate our communities,” he said. “Too often these facilities are open for a ridiculous five hours a week.

“I believe they should review proposals to integrate youth houses with the local football clubs with the funding that is allocated to the youth houses.

“Clubs, like Swindon, are brands who have community trusts aiding youth houses, but I believe this is just a drop in the ocean and far greater action is required as youth houses could be the grass roots link to sports clubs and facilities from a young age.

“The review being undertaken by Greg Dyke will be simply a paper exercise unless they address the issues I have highlighted.”'

There were greater managers before Clough and greater after him.

The fact that when he went to Leeds that he got up the noses of some of the best players in the country at the time,says for me he wasn't a great manager.He will always be remembered for his Forest side of the late 70s and very early 80s but the forest side was limited in its success,once the great team started drifting apart they were never going to get near those achievements again.A great manager after winning league titles and European cups wouldn't of rested on his laurels,having stayed there,he would of made them great again and from around 81 onwards they were just one of 4/5 clubs living in Liverpools shadow

Don't forget the good work that Brian Clough did with Derby County as well.

I think that it was around 1981 that he fell out with Peter Taylor.