Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Badshot Lea game and the state of things

Rother

Well that was a disappointment chaps!

We seem to be going backwards every week since the start of the season. No bad luck involved, this was another team that looked stronger, hungrier and able to play better football.

I am very surprised but stuff needs to be sorted out and quick. I have previously commented on how pleasing it was that Mick Woodham didn't resort to shouting and swearing at the players; well today he did both.

I am not sure that Tony Thompson's constant coaching during the games is having the desired effect. Last season the young players were largely allowed to get on with it during games, and did very well. This season it feels a little different.

Why are we playing long ball? I just don't get it. We are the smallest team in the league and we have some skilful players. We need to play it on the ground.

George Gould has done well up front in that he has scored some good goals but I have said many times that I don't think he is a centre forward. This season has proved that emphatically for me. He isn't making the runs, he isn't creating the space, and he isn't getting shots off. For all his inexperience (fitness issues) Kane Jones makes things happen and will be a better bet.

Matty Day is getting knocked off the ball too easily at the moment. Maybe Gould will be better moving back to right back? I like Day going forward, maybe he'd be decent on the wing?

I liked the look of Miles Norman today, yes he misplaced some passes but he pinged it around and kept the ball on the floor.

Whatever, we need to wake up and make some changes because for the clear aspirations Micky set out at the start of the season look a long long way off right now.

Injuries haven't helped but they are not an excuse for this style of football we are watching every week. Let's not forget some of the superb saves Dennison has made this season, he may well be the best in the league and without him our performances may have been more reflected by results.

I suppose the real question is, why do ever-present players like Lazza (until today), George and Matty appear to have gone backwards.

The cure all for me, a simple fan? Keep the bloody ball on the ground!!!!

Totally agree Rother...the most disappointing thing for me is the constant lumping of the ball from one end of the pitch to the other..get the ball on the ground and pass it around...

Here's my thoughts for what they are worth! Yesterday was our first league defeat, that in itself highlights things aren't all bad. I agree yesterday was disappointing and our football has not been consistently fluid so far this season. And while I hate to use injuries as an excuse, I think we have suffered injuries to key players in the midfield, and that coupled with suspensions has hurt us. Luke Dexter being injured I honestly believe has hurt us. People often look at the flair players, but Luke does all of the unnoticed work, and whenever he's out of the side we've not been fluent, I think the last few weeks has shown us just how much we miss him and how important he is. Likewise Aaron being out, Jason's suspension, you take two or three key players out of any midfield and it's going to cause disruption. Has this been a reason for the long ball, quite possibly. The defence, with different mid fields every week, may feel the pressure to release the ball to safety quicker. Personally, I think the time to judge Mick and Tony is once we can finally a full strength side on to the pitch. Until then I'm happy to keep picking up the points. Remember we're in the top four, with game in hand, not playing at our best, key players still to return, Ben Harris not yet fully match fit, and George playing with an injury (we shouldn't forget that). Bring on Camberley!

Every team has injuries, but few have as big a squad as ours so whilst I agree it has had an impact, I don't think it should be used as any kind of excuse.

I really hope Mick and Tony are not doing that themselves.

And Geggy, no things are not all bad, just rather disappointing, but it looks to me that there is an issue other than loss of form and injuries. No bigger indicator of that than Mr Woodham shouting and swearing!

so many injuries in midfield must have a big effect,just surprised to see windsor are using the long ball(sorry did not see yesterdays games just seeing comments on here).

It seemed all to change when the Farnham game was played,after seeing the games against molesey and south park with some excellent wins.

The midfield in first 2 home games was doing the job stopping the other team from playing ,then as i say seemed to change against Farnham and ever since seemed to struggled,after seeing the cup game against Highmoor too.

The midfield of Dexter,Dean who both do work which goes unnoticed but is needed  would be idea but both injured i believe, hopefully one will be back soon to add muscle in there.

But only one defeat in the league is still excellent ,not a regular watching them but what i have seen of windsor a talented side,just need a bit more luck with the injury side of things.

Totally accept tgat our engine room has been decimated but I just don't think injuries is a very valid reason to put up. Several reports I've seen of games from opponents' websites indicate they too have been missing regular starters.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Saturday already when hopefully Minhas, Dean, Dexter and Hicks will all be available.

Perhaps if you ask Mick he'll explain the whys and wherefores of what you conceive to be his shortcomings lately.   I speak to him at length the day after every game and he was extremely disappointed with Saturday's performance for various reasons which I won't go into on a public forum but will reiterate that he is approachable and will speak to you, you only need to ask ! 

I enjoy debating stuff on a forum. The fact that it's from a position of ignorance has never really bothered me. :P  It's just good to hear the views of other fans without feeling you have to be careful what you say.

I do appreciate I'm pretty much wasting my time really as hardly anyone comes on here anymore, which is a shame.

Interesting and disappointing posts.

I struggle to accept criticism in my paid job. I'd be hacked off if someone started to criticise my voluntary activities!

Mick Woodham has a big "squad" because he goes and gets players. WFC doesn't retain a big squad. We have a nucleus who are loyal to Mick and the FC.

Injuries are having a huge impact on us. A complete midfield out injured.

Sure we need a brute of a centre forward, but I challenge you to go find one? 23-32 years old, 10 mile radius of Windsor, proven record, team orientated, willing to train twice a week, play on a Saturday - oh, and for no reward other than to be run down when things go slightly off the boil by someone who perhaps still cant see how much of a good thing we have at the moment?

I enjoy debating stuff on a forum. The fact that it's from a position of ignorance has never really bothered me. :P  It's just good to hear the views of other fans without feeling you have to be careful what you say.

I do appreciate I'm pretty much wasting my time really as hardly anyone comes on here anymore, which is a shame.

Rother,we have the same problem on the Slough forum!

People seem to think when someone puts up their honest view of how their team performed,as though it was some terrible slight against the team/management/club.

As I try to point out on our forum,if we all agreed with everything,there would be no forum !!!

Forums are about debate.

From this outsider,I can see value from all that has been written about on this thread.Windsor are trying to do the honourable approach by keeping costs to a minimum and the players,you have got,currently, are to be admired.

The problem will undoubtedly come if your team achieves promotion,as better players will be needed.Money then will need to come into it,unfortunately.

We all moan about individual games/players/manager,when we think our team has dropped below the standard we expect from them.

Good luck to Windsor for the rest of the season.

Cheers 3Spirit. If the management and players are seriously upset by a fan's mild and polite but realistic criticism then I'd be pretty amazed.

All I am doing is voicing the feelings of everybody I have spoken to who has been watching recent games. None of us are frothing at the mouth and wouldn't dream of moaning and yelling at the players, we are just disappointed / slightly perplexed by what we are watching.

There is no way any of the guys involved in most of the recent performances will be happy with how we have performed - I don't understand why there is a reluctance to be honest and discuss what the issues are in an adult and constructive way. It's what being a fan is all about - the fact they aren't paid is irrelevant.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what I think, but a part of the attraction of football is the after-match and mid-week debates, the fact that we like and admire every last one of them should surely not deter us from discussing how the team is playing in an honest manner.

If people feel it's all down to injuries, then fine. If people think that it is fair enough that our most used attacking weapon is Carl Dennison's kick then fine. I disagree, but I'm not going to fall out with anyone, or insult anyone either on the team and/or management or amongst the fanbase for that.

I see the forum as an opportunity to discuss the football we watch - not just read the occasional report and the latest news of Scotty The Stag's exploits.

Maybe I'm out of step with everyone else.

Edited by Rother

Just wondering,slightly off topic I know! how Kyle Jeffery is playing for you.

I thought Slough let him go too soon.Had the makings of a good player.

Not sure why it didn't work out for him at Chalfont St Peter. 

Cheers 3Spirit. If the management and players are seriously upset by a fan's mild and polite but realistic criticism then I'd be pretty amazed.

All I am doing is voicing the feelings of everybody I have spoken to who has been watching recent games. None of us are frothing at the mouth and wouldn't dream of moaning and yelling at the players, we are just disappointed / slightly perplexed by what we are watching.

There is no way any of the guys involved in most of the recent performances will be happy with how we have performed - I don't understand why there is a reluctance to be honest and discuss what the issues are in an adult and constructive way. It's what being a fan is all about - the fact they aren't paid is irrelevant.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what I think, but a part of the attraction of football is the after-match and mid-week debates, the fact that we like and admire every last one of them should surely not deter us from discussing how the team is playing in an honest manner.

If people feel it's all down to injuries, then fine. If people think that it is fair enough that our most used attacking weapon is Carl Dennison's kick then fine. I disagree, but I'm not going to fall out with anyone, or insult anyone either on the team and/or management or amongst the fanbase for that.

I see the forum as an opportunity to discuss the football we watch - not just read the occasional report and the latest news of Scotty The Stag's exploits.

Maybe I'm out of step with everyone else.

Hi Rother,can't quote about how Windsor are playing,as obviously watch other local rival but totally agree with your sentiments.

Fans pay to watch,so should be allowed an opinion on what they see.

I go to be entertained and to watch exciting free flowing passing football.Often I come away from matches, thinking that the match I just witnessed was as entertaining,as watching paint dry!!!  

Just wondering,slightly off topic I know! how Kyle Jeffery is playing for you.

I thought Slough let him go too soon.Had the makings of a good player.

Not sure why it didn't work out for him at Chalfont St Peter. 

Yeah, he's doing ok. Only played a couple of games but pretty solid.

I didn't know he'd been at Slough.

Not getting him mixed up with Kyle Anthony are you?

I'm certainly not knocking anyone for having an opinion !  All I was trying to point out is that there were a number of questions in your posts and I felt they might be better aimed at the manager rather than an open forum simply because Mick doesn't use the forum so you'd never get your answers on here. 

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the missing midfield unit is definitely the primary reason for our alleged overuse of the long ball at the moment simply because the players that are currently playing in the middle are all very similar ie technically good but not ball-winners so if we pass from the back the chances are we'll most likely lose the ball in the middle and be under instant pressure again.  It's interesting to watch the lads in training because Mick/Tony insist that the midfield unit have more touches of the ball than any other positions so they know what they're trying to achieve and I'm sure it will happen once we have the missing players available again.  Geggy made a point about Dexter being an unsung type of player who does the necessary jobs in the middle and I think Minhas does an identical thing just in front of the back four as well, so if you consider that those two along with Dean, Hicks and Lazza were missing Saturday it shouldn't be any surprise that the midfield got missed out so often.  With the exception of Dennison I don't think any one position has been claimed yet and it will be interesting over the next month or so to see how many players can make any given position their own by dint of workrate, attitude and consistency !  

Kyle Jeffrey went to Slough when he left us last season.

Think you have both got muddled up.

Kyle Anthony joined Slough last season from Hemel Hempstead, along with Jake Parsons,Ryan O'Toole and Joe Chandiram,all of whom had played for Windsor.

Steve Bateman,our then manager snapped all four up.which most of the Slough faithful felt was right at the time.

They all promptly left when Steve Bateman was removed from his position. 

Kyle Jeffery started out with Slough.

Came  through from under 18's/reserves,which had been managed by Tony Thompson.

Kyle Jeffery played a couple of full matches for Slough's first team and a few sub appearances under Steve Bateman's watch.

He had one blinder of a game,due to his speed around the pitch.

He was at this time,playing as a right back.Unfortunately for Kyle,Simon Sweeney,our very experienced defender,had the right back slot sown up.

Rumours were that Kyle Jeffery left to play for Chalfont,as he had mates playing there.Don't know if this is true or not.

From my point of view,I thought Slough should have kept him and it was a mistake to let him go,as with a bit of guidance and encouragement Slough would have benefitted from him.

Steve Bateman wasn't good at bringing through young inexperienced talent,one of the reasons he is no longer our manager.

Edited by 3spirit

Good stuff, thanks Steve.

I like to see / hear the opinions of other fans, which first and foremost is what you are of course

I have heaped huge amounts of praise on the players in the past but it seems that DTW feels they should be immune from criticism.

We are all entitled etc. etc. but I just don't get that.

I suppose it may just be that those who know the players vaguely (or better than that) through socials naturally have a slightly different perspective. (I don't know who DTW is so wouldn't know if that is true in his / her case.)