Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Edgware Town FC (RUMOUR)

No way will Edgware get four figures at Underhill

What makes you so sure

What if Barnet suddenly announce that it will be the last game of football to take place at Underhill before the ground is sadly bulldozed, then you could even be looking at a five figure attendance never mind four!

As the original Edgware Town were lucky to attract over 70 spectators when they were playing at the White Horse, why would you expect to see huge crowds watching the new club? After the initial interest from groundhoppers etc, I predict crowds will settle to about 40 at Silver Jubilee Park (a decent crowd for SSML Div1).

No way will they attract a four figure crowd to Underhill. But then no-one from the club is saying that they will.

Edgware Towns first game back and it being played at Underhill will attract a good few ground hoppers im sure.

Also i cant see the Underhill ground being around much longer im sure the Barnet Council will want to knock it down and build more box flats or houses to house some of the new people coming to live in the country or they might just build another supermarket. ;)

Barnet Football Club own the freehold to underhill,council have no say on its future other than to block planning applications to spite TK a bit more! 

Barnet Football Club own the freehold to underhill,council have no say on its future other than to block planning applications to spite TK a bit more! 

So what are Barnet FC planning to do with it then ? Keep it forever as a football ground I don't think so.

So what are Barnet FC planning to do with it then ? Keep it forever as a football ground I don't think so.

Aren't they renting it to a rugby side? Could be a decent source of income for them if that's the case.

Aren't they renting it to a rugby side? Could be a decent source of income for them if that's the case.

Yep I heard some thing along those lines. I was told a lot of Barnet FC supporters were very unhappy about leaving Underhill ive only been there once before and I liked the ground,

Here's an interesting document showing the lengths Barnet have gone to in order to survive, it's a shame the Club and its loyal fans have been treated so shabbily over the years:

http://www.braden-threadgold.com/barnet-fc/pdf/BFC-Proposal-04.pdf

Here's an interesting document showing the lengths Barnet have gone to in order to survive, it's a shame the Club and its loyal fans have been treated so shabbily over the years:

http://www.braden-threadgold.com/barnet-fc/pdf/BFC-Proposal-04.pdf

It's usually fans who suffer the most. Majority of clubs outside even the premier league have to go to great lengths to survive.

So what are Barnet FC planning to do with it then ? Keep it forever as a football ground I don't think so.

Of course not the ground is about to be put up for sale however i very much doubt bulldozers will move straight in as London Broncos are using it as their training hq/ u19 venue until october at least.

The reasons for leaving were flaky and blamed on the council, in reality BFC had to finish the stadium at PEPF(the hive) under the terms of the lease they agreed when they took over the site in 2009 (wealdstone are meant to play there not us tho!) 

Of course not the ground is about to be put up for sale however i very much doubt bulldozers will move straight in as London Broncos are using it as their training hq/ u19 venue until october at least.

The reasons for leaving were flaky and blamed on the council, in reality BFC had to finish the stadium at PEPF(the hive) under the terms of the lease they agreed when they took over the site in 2009 (wealdstone are meant to play there not us tho!) 

Wealdstone ? interesting.

Underhill reminds me a bit of Wimbledon FCs old ground Plough Lane hope it doesn't go the same way and have a very slow death its never nice to see a football ground just to slowly rot away.

Did Barnet FC really need to leave Underhill ? as its a very decent non - league football ground and they are now a non - league football club.

Also any one know how long Edgware Town FC plan to be at Underhill ?

So let me get this right, we now have a club "Edgware Town" once disbanded now reignited who via the FA ignore the pyramid system set up a ground share which then can't be fulfilled and for a period of time move their opening fixtures to another ground. Makes a mockery of those clubs who have spent time money and a lot of energy coming through the system either by upgrading their own ground or obtaining the correct facilities prior to promotion via a ground share. If it purely down to history, why don' Baldock fold for a season, establish their current ground share at Hitchin and move straight back into the southern League from where they were prior to going belly up...I don’t blame Edgware or SSMFL but this deserves to be voted against at the AGM to show the hypocrisy of the FA..

So let me get this right, we now have a club "Edgware Town" once disbanded now reignited who via the FA ignore the pyramid system set up a ground share which then can't be fulfilled and for a period of time move their opening fixtures to another ground. Makes a mockery of those clubs who have spent time money and a lot of energy coming through the system either by upgrading their own ground or obtaining the correct facilities prior to promotion via a ground share. If it purely down to history, why don' Baldock fold for a season, establish their current ground share at Hitchin and move straight back into the southern League from where they were prior to going belly up...I don’t blame Edgware or SSMFL but this deserves to be voted against at the AGM to show the hypocrisy of the FA..[/size]

Absolutely spot on. This whole situation is a farce to be honest. Plenty of clubs with history who could 'reform' and now demand to have same treatment and be out back to the level they see fit. As you say no blame attached to ETFC but it should be voted against or it sets a precedent.

Absolutely spot on. This whole situation is a farce to be honest. Plenty of clubs with history who could 'reform' and now demand to have same treatment and be out back to the level they see fit. As you say no blame attached to ETFC but it should be voted against or it sets a precedent.

From what I gather after speaking to one of the volunteer's at the club, The FA changed the rules regarding to grounds/playing surfaces. Previously the club had to apply for work to be done on the surface (as in change to 3G/4G) And the work had to be done before February before the next season and be sanctioned. Obviously this could not be done as clubs would be using their pitch in Jan, Feb, March. So the only way a club could change their surface was to ground share for a season, and redo their own surface. The rules have been changed to some degree with the fact you can apply to change your surface at any time, and as long as you have suitable facilities to use that is fine. That's the FA stance, not the SSML. The club have said before they were happy to start in any division, but a gap was available in the league above, and they applied, presented a case, and the FA recommended it.  There were not any other clubs that applied at the time as far as he knows.  He and I understand that it has upset/disappointed a lot of fans from other clubs, and it is nice to see that most do not blame Edgware.

The club needs the surface to be changed to ensure it is financially sustainable for the long term, as well as bringing the community decent facilities to use.  It does seem a bit of a mess from the outside, especially with the delay on the start of work, so the unavailability of SJP, and the subsequent leasing of Underhill, (at a fairly heavy cost apparently) which was a last resort to ensure they club had the required facilities to start the season.

He went on to say the club has done all it can to comply with every request from the FA and SSML, and kept everyone informed of all decisions.

Obviously a slightly biased opinion from the committee member, but after all the work the club has done, to be put into Div 2, will be a disaster, as other facilities' could of been used instead of Underhill as the use of floodlights, and certain ground criteria are not required.  But what every decision is made, he said the club will accept, as the main thing is getting the club going again.

Whatever happens though the club has certainly made a talking point....I will endeavour to try and find out more when I can.

From what I gather after speaking to one of the volunteer's at the club, The FA changed the rules regarding to grounds/playing surfaces. Previously the club had to apply for work to be done on the surface (as in change to 3G/4G) And the work had to be done before February before the next season and be sanctioned. Obviously this could not be done as clubs would be using their pitch in Jan, Feb, March. So the only way a club could change their surface was to ground share for a season, and redo their own surface. The rules have been changed to some degree with the fact you can apply to change your surface at any time, and as long as you have suitable facilities to use that is fine. That's the FA stance, not the SSML. The club have said before they were happy to start in any division, but a gap was available in the league above, and they applied, presented a case, and the FA recommended it.  There were not any other clubs that applied at the time as far as he knows.  He and I understand that it has upset/disappointed a lot of fans from other clubs, and it is nice to see that most do not blame Edgware.

The club needs the surface to be changed to ensure it is financially sustainable for the long term, as well as bringing the community decent facilities to use.  It does seem a bit of a mess from the outside, especially with the delay on the start of work, so the unavailability of SJP, and the subsequent leasing of Underhill, (at a fairly heavy cost apparently) which was a last resort to ensure they club had the required facilities to start the season.

He went on to say the club has done all it can to comply with every request from the FA and SSML, and kept everyone informed of all decisions.

Obviously a slightly biased opinion from the committee member, but after all the work the club has done, to be put into Div 2, will be a disaster, as other facilities' could of been used instead of Underhill as the use of floodlights, and certain ground criteria are not required.  But what every decision is made, he said the club will accept, as the main thing is getting the club going again.

Whatever happens though the club has certainly made a talking point....I will endeavour to try and find out more when I can.

I think you have represented the club and the circumstances very well so far ETFC2014.

Whatever happens I wish ETFC well and i am sure they will progress strongly and quickly. You'd do well to distance yourself from a certain mouth piece who has a way of turning people against clubs.

Edited by Winslow Boy