Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Saturday 1st February Fixtures

Windsor played all the football in fact over played second half some times better to play 1 pass rather than 3 to get to the same place. Croydon keeper outstanding I the first half and 2 smart saves in the second. Windsor have to learn to Keep the wide boys on the touch line when attacking and attack in rather than chase the ball out.

Croydon well drilled at the back today and I thought the no3 was MOM, very pacey up top and play to a style that they must work on every week because it was effective and does create chances on the counter attack.

The stocky no 9 was denied a second goal for the trams when he lobbed the keeper but was adjudged offside, I was walking round to my car and in line with him and he was definitely onside.

Enjoyed my day, my burgers and a decent cup of tea.

One thing for sure in all standards of football is if you don't take your chances you don't win games and that today was the difference today.

And the referee was very good today

Windsor played all the football in fact over played second half some times better to play 1 pass rather than 3 to get to the same place. Croydon keeper outstanding I the first half and 2 smart saves in the second. Windsor have to learn to Keep the wide boys on the touch line when attacking and attack in rather than chase the ball out.

Croydon well drilled at the back today and I thought the no3 was MOM, very pacey up top and play to a style that they must work on every week because it was effective and does create chances on the counter attack.

The stocky no 9 was denied a second goal for the trams when he lobbed the keeper but was adjudged offside, I was walking round to my car and in line with him and he was definitely onside.

Enjoyed my day, my burgers and a decent cup of tea.

One thing for sure in all standards of football is if you don't take your chances you don't win games and that today was the difference today.

And the referee was very good today

Rode our luck a bit yesterday, and certainly caught Windsor on a bad finishing day, but we did defend well, counter-attacked impressively (we hit the post as well, just before we scored) and worked our socks off.  And as mentioned above, Francis was outstanding in goal.

Three bonus points for us, and up to heady heights of 8th - not bad for a side containing a fair number of players plucked out of sunday football, who until this season, had never played football at this level before.

Note for Windsor's comedian tannoy announcer - don't give up the day job.

Croydon were extremely well organised and deserved the win. Took the chance they had and that was about it. I don't recall the Croydon keeper making too many saves second half. Windsor huffed and puffed but to no effect. Overall a game very low on quality.

Wow! That is so far wide of the Mark, I'm a bit gobsmacked to be honest. I thought there was plenty of quality on display.

I thought Windsor played some lovely football, slick passing all over the pitch and good movement but just lacked the finishing touch.

Or did we? The Croydon keeper had an absolute blinder and on another day (against some of the lesser keepers we've faced recently) we might have notched 4 or 5.

Croydon were also excellent in defence when their backs were really against the wall and when they didn't give the ball away, were actually pretty effective on the counter attack, and could have scored another 1 or 2 themselves.

Did they deserve the win? I dunno, that's very subjective - for the keeper's display quite possibly but let's be honest here, they played very little football - just kept punting it anywhere, conceding possession at almost every opportunity. Possession stats would probably have been 70/30 - 15 of the 30 being in their keeper's hands... (Yes, I exaggerate.) :)

Ultimately they did a number on us so fair play and well done Croydon.

PS The keeper only arrived about 15 mins before KO (face like thunder), his car having broken down en route apparently. Why couldn't the sodding RAC have been delayed en route to him...? ;)

Edited by Rother

Sorry Rother old chap but I thought Windsor looked slow and clumsy. Too many passes going astray and it looked as if no-one was prepared to have a shot. If full backs are going to play high up the pitch, someone needs to take responsibility and cover for them. That lack of discipline led to the only goal of the game. Quite frankly, Windsor could have played until midnight and not scored.Croydon were very well organised and at times did ride their luck but because of their concentration and determination they deserved the win.

Agree about the referee having a very solid game but I was not sure why Croydon didn't get a free kick late on when one of their players was clean through and appeared to be brought down. 

Rother now we know why Windsor are losing so many games,they lose to any team  with a Decent Keeper? Only Win against Teams with a Lesser Keeper.Are you a Keeper,did your Team beat Windsor,if so you are not a lesser KEEPER,if you lost to Windsor,more coaching for you.

Lazy sod

I agree with u on the goal mate no 2 just didn't get back but then he did that most of the game

I know what I woul do if I was putting a side up against windsor

Some interesting opinions there from both sides and two neutrals !  First comment I have to pick up on was the lack of 'Quality' on show - it wasn't always the best I suppose but I think both teams should be applauded for trying to play some decent football on a very slippy surface and with a very strong wind but on the other hand Windsor have been accused of overplaying at times during the game so maybe that's the lack of quality he means ! 

Weeble's comment about the wide men was actually spot on as normally they would be hugging the touchline and I couldn't figure out why they were getting drawn in so narrow yesterday either.

There is no doubt that our finishing wasn't up to it's normal standard yesterday but massive credit must also go to the Croydon keeper who kept out everything we did get on target and credit also to the whole Croydon team who put in a disciplined workmanlike performance on the day.

Purple tram - can't comment on the PA comments as I couldn't hear them, in fact I had to tell him twice to speak up or increase the volume but in his defence he's only filling in at present as we're advertising for a new PA announcer [as you may have read in the programme].  Having done the PA myself at times over the years there's a fine line between what's entertaining and what's not so I've always stuck to the principle of only announcing facts rather than thoughts and I will mention your comment to the person concerned !

Anyway, to sum up, Croydon deserve all the credit yesterday as they achieved something no other team has done this season at Stag Meadow which is preventing us from scoring, so some good defensive work, an outstanding display from the keeper and a little bit of luck maybe is just reward for their efforts. 

Must also say what an outstanding job our groundstaff did and it's great credit to their endeavours throughout the year that [a] we got the game on and it still looked great after 90 minutes when most pitches in those conditions would have cut up badly.  

I know what I woul do if I was putting a side up against windsor

Sign the Croydon keeper. LOL !

All joking aside though Weebs I think most people would know what to do on yesterday's showing but that wasn't a normal performance from us by any means and those that have tried what I think you are thinking of have come unstuck because our wingers then play a massive part !  The key for me yesterday was not what you perceive as defensive frailties but the wide players not doing their normal job !  

Windsor sec I have watched you a few times this year and I didn't just base it on yesterday. I won't go into what I would do just in case one day I have to.

Next time I am over maybe we could have a cup of tea and intro

Some interesting opinions there from both sides and two neutrals !  First comment I have to pick up on was the lack of 'Quality' on show - it wasn't always the best I suppose but I think both teams should be applauded for trying to play some decent football on a very slippy surface and with a very strong wind but on the other hand Windsor have been accused of overplaying at times during the game so maybe that's the lack of quality he means ! 

Weeble's comment about the wide men was actually spot on as normally they would be hugging the touchline and I couldn't figure out why they were getting drawn in so narrow yesterday either.

There is no doubt that our finishing wasn't up to it's normal standard yesterday but massive credit must also go to the Croydon keeper who kept out everything we did get on target and credit also to the whole Croydon team who put in a disciplined workmanlike performance on the day.

Purple tram - can't comment on the PA comments as I couldn't hear them, in fact I had to tell him twice to speak up or increase the volume but in his defence he's only filling in at present as we're advertising for a new PA announcer [as you may have read in the programme].  Having done the PA myself at times over the years there's a fine line between what's entertaining and what's not so I've always stuck to the principle of only announcing facts rather than thoughts and I will mention your comment to the person concerned !

Anyway, to sum up, Croydon deserve all the credit yesterday as they achieved something no other team has done this season at Stag Meadow which is preventing us from scoring, so some good defensive work, an outstanding display from the keeper and a little bit of luck maybe is just reward for their efforts. 

Must also say what an outstanding job our groundstaff did and it's great credit to their endeavours throughout the year that [a] we got the game on and it still looked great after 90 minutes when most pitches in those conditions would have cut up badly.  

Yes, sticking to facts, whilst doing tannoy duties, would be good advice for him.  Thoughts and 'anecdotes' are better left for terrace banter.   Tannoy volumes are a nightmare.  Normally down to equipment and positioning of speakers. From my past experience of doing tannoy duties at Croydon, ours can't be heard in the main stand, but is as clear as day in the car park!

I should have mentioned it in my original comment, but I absolutely echo your remarks regarding your groundstaff.

Credit also to Camberley Town and their staff in getting their match on yesterday. I know their Club Sec was in before 8.00am to ensure the match had a good chance of being on. Pitch held up very well yesterday.

If Camberley do go on to win the title, they should certainly give an award to their pitch as its constant availability will give them a large advantage down the stretch when everyone else (except Windsor) are playing two or three times a week, they will just have the one game each week. I make them favourites right now for that reason.

Some big tests coming up though for Epsom and South Park. We have had a lot of away games postponed this season but now have three home games in eight days, Hartley, Cove and Windsor. No point worrying about the third of those if we drop any more points in the first two.

South Park play Wembley on Tuesday who were the best team we played this season. They follow this with Windsor and Hanworth Villa. Both Epsom and Camberley need a South Park slip up somewhere in there as their fixture list won't always be that challenging.

Windsor have now dropped too many points and will need to beat South Park and Epsom just to stand a chance of finishing in the top three. Only three teams can win the title now and all the talk about South Park and Epsom means that the Krooners have slipped under the radar a bit. Unfairly so in my opinion.

I honestly cannot see beyond South Park now.  We are 3 points adrift of them and they have 2 games in hand.  Presuming we will all our games and we still have to play all the top sides that means that South Park would still have to lose 2 other games.

1) I dont think we will win all our remaining games

2)  I am not sure South Park will lose 3 more.

The title is in their hands in my opinion.

I would agree Krooner, it is in their hands.

I still make you favourites, especially if the weather continues as it is. If Camberley keep playing, you will go above them, and unless you have a squad the size of a little island in the English Channel, three games a week are much harder to play than one.

Doesn't it make a nice change to have a Camberley supporter and an Epsom supporter talking about a promotion battle that we are both involved in :)

Ha Ha it is Rich.

Now you are more Stats based than me and when was the last time a team blew an effective advantage of 9 points in the last 1/3rd of a CCL season ?

Richard have you become Stan the Man mark 2,he fancies WINDING UP South Park,now you fancy Camberley.Think the League Fixture Secretary should get his finger out,and arrange either or dates for future games.Currently there are 7 days in a week,that games can be played on,only 2 days are being used WHY? We must also think of our Refs,their fitness must be waining,and their pockets getting empty.No free Beer either.