Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ref and Egham 4 Common Sense 0

Swifty

The ref at tonight's game should give up now. The most unfair half of football I've witnessed in 40 years of watching from the terraces.

With Ashford 1-0 down at half time, something happened to the power supply and no less than EIGHT of the 20 bulbs on Egham's pylons, including FOUR of the six bulbs on the pylons either side of the penalty area we had to defend in the second half, failed to work. I have it on very good authority the ref asked Ben if he thought the second half was playable. Ben said he didn't, and the ref overruled him and insisted we play on. 

We had to defend a penalty area and one flank which had eight bulbs out of ten not working, not even taking in to account we were playing into the wind and driving rain. To call it an unfair contest would be putting it mildly. It was a risk to player safety, let alone the fact you couldn't see the ball properly at times. No wonder we conceded three second half goals. 

Tyler played fantastically. How he managed to make so many saves and interceptions beats me. We need to keep Tyler next season no matter what league we're in. That lad's a star. In fact, I have nothing but admiration for our lads tonight, who gave their best in ridiculous circumstances.

The game should have been called off at half time. The ref was an absolute disgrace. He and the lino our side did nothing to help the situation. Leeches who seemed to be there purely to pick up their expenses. If I want to play spot the ball, I'll look in a newspaper. Will the League be closing Egham's ground until the lights are fixed following this debacle?

Sorry you feel that way mate but the floodlight debacle could have happened at any ground not just ours and the lights will be sorted as soon as possible. Did you really think that was Dangerous tonight as it was the same for both teams if it was so bad how did we score three goals? It can,t be to dark to Defend but light enough to attack. Good luck for the rest of the Season

Nobody would attach any blame to Egham for this but when eight out of twenty lamps go out the game becomes farcical.

Ashford were forced to defend a penalty area with only two out of six lights working from half time onwards so not exactly a level playing field.The referee initially awarded a free kick for the second goal before walking over to see if it was in the area and then giving the penalty.

With no assessor present we at least had no red or yellow cards but I can't help wondering whether his decision to play the second half would have been the same.

This is not sour grapes as I think Egham would probably have gone on to win anyway but come on Ref cut the arrogance and consider all angles not just safety.

I would reiterate that in no way do we blame Egham for the situation last night.  As has been said, any club can suffer floodlight failure and it is one of those things.

However, to play on in such farcical and gloomy conditions was a potential safety hazard and certainly created an imbalance with Ashford forced to defend under lights at probably no more than 50% of their normal strength, whilst at the other end of the pitch the light was more or less normal.  It was also against league requirements which state that floodlights must have a minimum average lux value of 120.  Following the failure last night, it was probably only half of that in the second half.

We shall not be seeking to get the match re-played but we shall be complaining strongly to the League about the decision to play on.

The match was overshadowed ( pun intended) by the foolish decision of the referee to play the second half in the semi-dark conditions explained by others on this thread.

Smudge has a fair point about taking the players off the pitch, although this would no doubt have led to an FA charge and a fine that we can ill afford. Having said that player safety should be a priority, the ref was lucky that there were no serious injuries as a consequence of his decision.

As for moaning after the event, believe me we were moaning during the event, I was standing behind the affected goal at half time and assumed that the match had been abandoned. I was asking about a refund.

The referee and his linesmen stayed in the centre circle during their inspection and so wouldn't have been aware of the gloom in the penalty area until the game had re-started.

I have been following local football for years and never experienced anything like last night's farce.

For me this is totally about safety and nothing about the outcome. We are having games called off left, right and centre at the moment because referees are scared to death of liability. Some games too early and too easily. It has been mentioned elsewhere that maybe referees are being pressured to get games on due to the backlog. I'm not sure if that is the case but is a possibility and could explain last night. At this level players MUST be safe and MUST be able to work the following day. That should have overridden every other consideration last night. I will, however, agree with Egg&Ham. If it is light enough to attack then it is light enough to defend so please let's not talk about advantage or imbalances affecting the result. 

I would have replied earlier but for problems with my work PC.

I was privy to conversation last night stating that it would be no good taking the players off in protest as we probably would have incurred the wrath of the FA.

It was easier for Egham to attack than for us to defend because, as well as the ball being difficult to make out, Egham wore an all red kit which became darker and more difficult to make out as the rain drove down, while they defended an almost fully lit half against an Ashford team wearing shirts with easily identifiable white stripes. Egham's last two goals, though well taken, came from players drifting in from the flanks where visibility was worst for our defenders.

Manurgrate makes a very valid point. The ref and his assistants made no attempt to venture further than the halfway line during half time. At no stage did any of them think logically and bother to check the light out behind the goal or in the dimly lit corners. I know this because I was chatting with Manurgrate behind that end during the break.

Egham deserved to be ahead at half time, no qualms with that, but it wasn't as if we'd had to travel far for the match, and an abandonment would have been appropriate.

I see that one of our former fans disagrees with me on another forum and was unhappy with our bench's second half complaints. If his beloved Championship side had endured the same match conditions, I doubt he'd think the same.

Did the white stripes on Ashford's shirts not discolour at all then? And did they wear black shorts and socks like normal? I agree despite not having been there that the game sounds like it should have been abandoned but I really do not believe that it affected the result. Both sides had to play in the dark.

Bronco is mostly right, it is mainly about player safety but it could have well affected the result. Would our player have conceded a penalty in normal light? We will never know but once you were 2 up there was only going to be one result.

I wonder if you would have been happy to defend in the semi- dark when one goal down if the match had been played at Short Lane?

Bronco is mostly right, it is mainly about player safety but it could have well affected the result. Would our player have conceded a penalty in normal light? We will never know but once you were 2 up there was only going to be one result.

I wonder if you would have been happy to defend in the semi- dark when one goal down if the match had been played at Short Lane?

Truth be told you are right. We will never know. For me though it is like a poor pitch in that it is the same for both sides. The problem is the ref not taking full consideration of the implications of serious injury. That is really worrying.

The ref seemed to be set in his ways, no matter who's opinion he asked for at half time,. He asked for mine and I said it was not acceptable that the playing conditions were now different to that of the 1st half and that my team were now defending the 'black out' area.

He then decided to overrule the fact that both managers had not come to an agreement to play and said that he felt he could see across the pitch so the game must continue, there was no point in arguing with him as he was not going to change his opinion, so I went back in and got the lads out.

My back 4 could not see the ball in the air and had then raised this with the ref, and he would not listen to them.

I wanted to take the players off the field and had told the linesman that before the second goal had gone in, where my players have come off at the end and said that ref had said he 'thought' the foul was in the area after originally giving a free kick only to change his mind and give a penalty. Put yourself in my shoes for a minute, when I see that happen!

I consulted with the secretary and chairman during the half and they advised not taking the players off, due to fines etc.

Bronco, their goalkeeper did not have to change the way he played second half because of the problem seeing the ball in the light, mine did, the same with my defenders who were worried about misjudging the flight of the ball. The fact about safety is the most valid one. I had asked if their was an assessor there last night to give his view on it at half time, the ref was not having any of it.

This is not having a go at Egham, I thought they played good football throughout, we were well in the game and I felt we should of been going in at half time level. We created many chances but we must start putting them away and fast.

Swifty, agree with your comments about the lads, we all still believe that we can get something out of this situation we are in

Ben

Guru- Our paths have crossed in a previous life so nothing personal here. The goalkeeper having an issue is valid and relevant but hasn't been mentioned before. I'd like to know how a goalkeeper changes the way he plays though? As for mis-judging things in the air? Affects both teams in exactly the same way.  More of a risk defending I'll agree, but some you win, some you lose for both sides. As for a referee changing his mind about a free kick/penalty? Not good but not uncommon depending on his position to start with. If he hasn't overruled a linesman with a better view then it is frustrating but not necessarily wrong.

Archived