Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Woods 1 Ash Trees 1

Swifty

Malcolm would have been proud.

Okay, they were at home, but Northwood were more enterprising than Rugby or Daventry. Punk rock football. Nippy, fast and skilful players. Their whole team was a real handful - and we came away with a really hard fought point. We struggled for possession in the first half, but we've definitely become a second half team, stronger and more determined to get something out of the game.

We had two giants on the pitch. Tyler had a great game and made four superb saves to thwart their forwards (not forgetting a great goalline clearance by Ryan too) and Conor ran his socks off and deserved a goal for his enterprise. It has to be said, though, the defending overall was wonderful. We may as well have bricked up the goal. Sammy started in place of Beads and showed some nice touches before being subbed through injury. When Rhys came on, it gave us a further dimension up front and we scared them.

In the second half we gave as good as we got and, in the 80th minute, Jimmy was put through but his shot was saved and he fell over, whereupon he got up, won the ball, slotted it home and treated us to the "Jimmy dance" again. Three minutes later we committed a foul on the edge of our box, let a Woods player on the end of the wall, and he peeled away to let the stinging free kick into the net. Northwood laid siege to our goal but we could still have snatched a win if Elliott had hit the target when one on one (no disgrace, Els - good to see you up the pitch giving it some) and the best move of the game saw Rhys's exemplary cross just headed wide by Jimmy. 

We did really well, also considering the ref let Woods get away with a fair amount of unbooked backchat and gave them nearly all the 50-50's while missing some obvious fouls in our favour. Actually, in the three games against Rugby, Daventry and Northwood we could have ended up with one point or maybe even none due to having to play an attritional game for a good deal of each match, but this team's made of stronger stuff. Five points from those three games is one Hell of an achievement. Well done, lads.

Excellent post Ed!

Amazing effort against a team who can play and who could throw caution to the wind.

I just find the effort all over the pitch quite astounding. Very proud!

The Great Escape. .....It's ON!

Well done all!

I forgot to thank Guru for the offer of a lift back last night, and thanks to Tone for taking me back and putting up with my inane banter on the journey home. There were a couple of "Bob" moments which Tone blamed on his Satnav, but we got there in good time. Tone had Radio Surrey on and there was some bloke called Butler bemoaning Aldershot Town's latest defeat. If he wanted effort and guts, he was at the wrong match last night!    :D   

Another superb performance from the whole team, it really is a pleasure to watch them play. Ok not the finished article yet but we are improving with every game. From Connor at the front all the way back to Tyler in goal the effort the whole team put into the game last night was magnificent. Also nice to see and hear a good turn out from our supporters.

Ed I've never heard Butler (not Dan) do anything else but moan 

Could have nicked a win at the end, but not to be.

Anybody else notice the money saving tactic of using unsold programmes from the postponed fixture?

Archived