Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

A couple of non league snippets

3spirit

5 minutes ago, Nathan said:

As I remember, many of those made up the team that got relegated from the old Ryman Premier in 2001.

True Nathan but you can't blame Martin Deaner for that ! 

6 hours ago, Sir Rebel1965 said:

Barnny - please get your facts right.

Deaner oversaw the 2006/07 relegation from the premier league 

Also fundamental in the bottom 2 finish which saw Slough reprieved by Halifax.

He also got us kicked out of Wexham park owing £70,000 and caused the nomadic future due to the council not being able to trust him, until Steve rebuilt the trust required of the council and we came to Arbour Park.

He also regularly failed to pay players and everything financial was “see me in two weeks”

So if you call that “unconventional” then he did a splendid job.

Yes Thorn was destructive, but Deaner was not the clubs saviour.

I might be wrong but wasn't it the stand off between the council and Thorne over 49 seats being installed that got us kicked out of the Conference.

Just now, Irishadrian said:

Billericay have announced the departure after 5 seasons of prolific striker Jake Robinson  161 games 123 goals  No word from Billericay about his next team.

Now that would be a good signing for any team.

No doubt he'll be looking for top dollar for his prized signature and no doubt will be getting it at Dartford.

I think people get very carried away about this whole ‘we are desperate for the national league’ rhetoric!!! Questions were asked around what the long term goals of the club were and what we wanted to achieve in the future. Tell me any club in the world that, when asked that question, would reply ‘oh well we are aiming for relegation this year and then next season we’d like to finish around 12th in the southern league’.

The just giving page was to allow us to play our play off match that we had already earned with our performances before the pandemic. It wasn’t set up to ‘get us to the national league’ specifically.

At the time they were asked these questions we were sat in the play off zone. Our current players would have been delighted if they’d turned round and said ‘well we’re in the play off zone now but we intend to ensure we drop out of that before the end of the season, i’m not sure I can enjoy next season without a trip to concord’.

When the managers are negotiating for new players, I would presume that telling them ‘come and play for Slough, we are aiming to finish between 13th and 16th for the next 5 years, you’ve a great chance of developing here’. Or to the fans ‘get a season ticket, we intend to lose 60% of games but we serve a nice pint’.

I’m not desperate for the national league. I’ve spent 30 years watching Slough and all bar about 6 of them have been our current level or lower. But I’m my opinion you should always do your best and strive to be better. If we did get promoted then surely it’s just about managing that properly. Look at Barnsley, they got promoted to the premier league in 1997 and spent one year in the top flight. I’m sure that was amazing for the fans and players and since then, they have moved between the championship and league 1 a couple of times, primarily being in the championship. They had a great year but didn’t go out and spend loads of money but instead coped with what they had and do haven’t killed themselves for future years.

Very similar as well to what we did when we first got into national south. The first year we barely bought in any new players and gave the existing squad a chance to give it a go. We survived and then year on year built, so that on year 3 we reached the play offs and year 4, won them. Build within your means whilst still looking forwards.

I see nothing ‘desperate’ in Sloughs future planning at the moment. In fact I see the opposite, a team of managers and players who strive to be better and do their best but without enormous pressure to win every game. I would much rather my team was like that than finishing mid table for 10 years in a row.

Radders, I agree with a lot of what you say on your post. No fan wants mediocrity every season.

The club has the right to want to sell as many season tickets as possible,and to get as many fans in through the turnstiles,as that funds the club. The football club is a business, however, most fans care more about the football, I know I do. Any astute fan can tell by the signings the club make, what the chances are of the team promotion chasing. 

This topic has, as usual, been blown out of all proportion, as originally I replied to Shredding Green's statement that the Rebels will need a 'great team' to win promotion. I just mentioned that the club would need a lot of money,too.

Given the events of last night concerning Denmarks Christian Erikssen, it puts into sharp focus that football isn't life, and that 'life is the most important thing in life'. Not money, and not football !

I feel Slough Town FC in it's current guise has an opportunity to actually stabilise the club for future seasons by sticking to it's principles of being a highly thought of non-league club, and not being enticed into the professional game. We should be encouraging our players to enjoy playing the game again,and wanting to express themselves on a football pitch. Win,draw or lose. We should keep the mentality that we are all in it together, from those at the top; to the fan that comes to his first match watching Slough.  We should recruit semi pro's/non leaguers/up and coming youngsters,academy players, not ex professionals after a quick buck. We may have to part company with our joint managers at some point, as the club's ambitions and the managers ambition may not match but this might not necessarily be the case. If we get relegated so what,we can still get promoted again.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Slough give it a go in the National Premier, before I snuff it but for me I just want to watch good non league football played in an entertaining way. I do not have the desire to watch over paid players ruin an established non league club.

Every fan wants their club to progress through the divisions but sometimes other factors need to be weighed up and whether they are worth the effort. The National Premier has largely become about full time sides wanting to get into the Football League, more so now than when we were first in the Conference. When Slough first got promoted to the Conference,the Slough team was mainly semi pros with a couple of ex pro's in their ranks ie Trevor Howe and Tommy Langley, that team struggled to stay up. Later on ex Millwall chairman Alan Thorne bought Wexham Park and Slough Town FC, he brought in a higher standard of player from professional ranks to give Slough a great opportunity to not only compete in the Conference but to have a go at the top end of the division. Are Slough Town FC currently able to muster such an aim?

Fans need to be realistic in what is important and what is not.

Edited by 3spirit

'I feel Slough Town FC in it's current guise has an opportunity to actually stabilise the club for future seasons by sticking to it's principles of being a highly thought of non-league club, and not being enticed into the professional game. We should be encouraging our players to enjoy playing the game again,and wanting to express themselves on a football pitch. Win,draw or lose. We should keep the mentality that we are all in it together, from those at the top; to the fan that comes to his first match watching Slough.  We should recruit semi pro's/non leaguers/up and coming youngsters,academy players, not ex professionals after a quick buck. We may have to part company with our joint managers at some point, as the club's ambitions and the managers ambition may not match but this might not necessarily be the case. If we get relegated so what,we can still get promoted again'

3spirit, aren't these points of principle you make precisely what our current managers and board believe in and have in place at the club?

3 hours ago, Radders said:

I think people get very carried away about this whole ‘we are desperate for the national league’ rhetoric!!! Questions were asked around what the long term goals of the club were and what we wanted to achieve in the future. Tell me any club in the world that, when asked that question, would reply ‘oh well we are aiming for relegation this year and then next season we’d like to finish around 12th in the southern league’.

The just giving page was to allow us to play our play off match that we had already earned with our performances before the pandemic. It wasn’t set up to ‘get us to the national league’ specifically.

At the time they were asked these questions we were sat in the play off zone. Our current players would have been delighted if they’d turned round and said ‘well we’re in the play off zone now but we intend to ensure we drop out of that before the end of the season, i’m not sure I can enjoy next season without a trip to concord’.

When the managers are negotiating for new players, I would presume that telling them ‘come and play for Slough, we are aiming to finish between 13th and 16th for the next 5 years, you’ve a great chance of developing here’. Or to the fans ‘get a season ticket, we intend to lose 60% of games but we serve a nice pint’.

I’m not desperate for the national league. I’ve spent 30 years watching Slough and all bar about 6 of them have been our current level or lower. But I’m my opinion you should always do your best and strive to be better. If we did get promoted then surely it’s just about managing that properly. Look at Barnsley, they got promoted to the premier league in 1997 and spent one year in the top flight. I’m sure that was amazing for the fans and players and since then, they have moved between the championship and league 1 a couple of times, primarily being in the championship. They had a great year but didn’t go out and spend loads of money but instead coped with what they had and do haven’t killed themselves for future years.

Very similar as well to what we did when we first got into national south. The first year we barely bought in any new players and gave the existing squad a chance to give it a go. We survived and then year on year built, so that on year 3 we reached the play offs and year 4, won them. Build within your means whilst still looking forwards.

I see nothing ‘desperate’ in Sloughs future planning at the moment. In fact I see the opposite, a team of managers and players who strive to be better and do their best but without enormous pressure to win every game. I would much rather my team was like that than finishing mid table for 10 years in a row.

Couldn't of put it better myself Radders  ? 

1 hour ago, Reading Rebel said:

'I feel Slough Town FC in it's current guise has an opportunity to actually stabilise the club for future seasons by sticking to it's principles of being a highly thought of non-league club, and not being enticed into the professional game. We should be encouraging our players to enjoy playing the game again,and wanting to express themselves on a football pitch. Win,draw or lose. We should keep the mentality that we are all in it together, from those at the top; to the fan that comes to his first match watching Slough.  We should recruit semi pro's/non leaguers/up and coming youngsters,academy players, not ex professionals after a quick buck. We may have to part company with our joint managers at some point, as the club's ambitions and the managers ambition may not match but this might not necessarily be the case. If we get relegated so what,we can still get promoted again'

3spirit, aren't these points of principle you make precisely what our current managers and board believe in and have in place at the club?

I don't know. I've never chatted to any of them about this.

7 hours ago, Reading Rebel said:

I haven't chatted to them about it either but I'm pretty certain on what I do know these are their principles.

Quite right RR. The things that 3spirit spoke about in his post are exactly where we are as managers and as a club as we prepare for next season.

We have a dressing room full of players who want to play for the club, no journeymen who want to “earn a quick buck”. Players who will give everything and ensure we are competitive week in week out and try to do the fans proud.

We all see the signings by some of the clubs with big money in our league and good luck to them. We look at it as a challenge to take on these so-called big boys and we’re really excited by that challenge!

Edited by Jon Underwood

56 minutes ago, Reading Rebel said:

The NL play-off final between Torquay and Hartlepool is to be played at Bristol City's ground Ashton Gate.

A standard adult ticket for this game has been priced at £41.

From the Hartlepool United FC website :-

We have been allocated approximately 3,100 match tickets in the Dolman Stand (E28-E34), South Stand (S25-27) & Atyeo Stand (N35-N37) at Ashton Gate.

Ticket prices have been set by the National League and all tickets are £41.00 (+ £1.25 booking fee per ticket) – there are no concessions available.

From the Torquay United FC website :-

Ticket prices and allocation have been set by the National League, with the details outlined below.

All tickets are priced at £41.00,  plus a £1.25 transaction fee per ticket, with no concessionary rate available. These will be available in set pods of 1 ticket, 2 tickets, 3 tickets and 4 tickets to ensure social distancing in maintained, whilst allowing supporters to attend with up to three other people within their social bubble.

Torquay United has been allocated the Lansdown Stand (W1-W13 & W15-W17), South Stand (S18) & Atyeo Stand (N38-N41).

Edited by Shredding Green