Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Tuesday 12th August

Went to watch this one and glad I didn't leave early.

Cockfosters scored goals in the 90'+4' and 90'+7' to win.

Sounded fun, Stuart Blackburn's worldy free kick sealed the deal by all accounts Pete didnt it?

Yet another woeful officiating performance last night at Hertford Town's 2-2 derby draw with Hoddy.

The elderly lino was blowing after 5mins and behind the play all game and the ref (with an assessor in the stand) was ridiculously fussy ruining the game and throwing cards around at will.

Am hopeful that this was a one-off and we're not in for yet another season of poor officials but I doubt it as every season I've seen so far has been the same.

When will the FA start financing grassroots and providing decent training for current officials plus adding younger (fitter) officials to the ranks?

Yet another woeful officiating performance last night at Hertford Town's 2-2 derby draw with Hoddy.

The elderly lino was blowing after 5mins and behind the play all game and the ref (with an assessor in the stand) was ridiculously fussy ruining the game and throwing cards around at will.

Am hopeful that this was a one-off and we're not in for yet another season of poor officials but I doubt it as every season I've seen so far has been the same.

When will the FA start financing grassroots and providing decent training for current officials plus adding younger (fitter) officials to the ranks?

Here here.

Yes Premier Division clubs like Hoddesdon, Hertford and St Margaretsbury amongst others are likely to see a number of Essex match officials over the season whilst clubs such as the likes of Holmer Green and Leverstock Green won't see that many due to the cost of travel expenses, likewise a lot of Essex Senior League top flight clubs will have an increased number of SSML match officials.

Interesting post. You have probably answered your own point re the fussy ref with an assessor in the stand. Unfortunately once an assessor turns up, the ref has little choice other than to tow the party line. If he does not, then the assessor marks him down. I know because I have been there. Took charge of a game when going for promotion, marked 8.5 and 9 by clubs, but slaughtered by the assessor in a game that everyone else in the ground enjoyed. I gave up at the end of the season.

Re younger and fitter officials - tough luck mate. The reason you have old boys on the line is they are the only ones who stick with it. Many younger officials are recruited but give it up for varying reasons, mainly the abuse. Another big problem for recruitment and retention is the image the match official gets in the media - it is seldom positive and is a big problem when it comes to recruiting.  Training officials get is fine - however it is the same as anything, you cant beat the experience of a match.

Maybe you could qualify and show us how to do it? ;)

I do agree that it is frustrating when you have a bloke (Or woman ) who is officiating in senior football and they are passed retirement age - however it really is the case that there is a limited number of folks available. 

Edited by Ian H

This very much sounds like the Official from Saturday at Holmer Green.

Both sides agreed it was a very good performance from him letting the game flow and stopping when he had to. But afterwards I was told the assessor ripped him apart on the fact that the keeper rolled his sleeves up half way through the 2nd half revealing a white under garment under a light grey shirt!

Kings Langley with 2 solid wins so far. Afc Dunstable won 2 conceded 5 scored 9 will be fun to watch if that continues.

Yes not good for the heart though. Talking about referees, we had a goal that the lino flag for crossing the line but ref completely ignored him. Never seen that before.

This very much sounds like the Official from Saturday at Holmer Green.

Both sides agreed it was a very good performance from him letting the game flow and stopping when he had to. But afterwards I was told the assessor ripped him apart on the fact that the keeper rolled his sleeves up half way through the 2nd half revealing a white under garment under a light grey shirt!

Really? This is getting ridiculous.

I can understand the sock tie rule as so many players use so much that it can change the entire colour of the sock which can make identifying the final touch in a challenge difficult but what difference does an undershirt make?

Apparently, the ref on Saturday's SSML game was excellent by all accounts.

Nobody but the assessor could have enjoyed that guy's performance last night.

Which begs the question . . . was the game played for the players, staff, volunteers & 127 paying punters who wanted to enjoy a tasty derby or for the benefit of keeping the assessor happy?

Interesting post. You have probably answered your own point re the fussy ref with an assessor in the stand. Unfortunately once an assessor turns up, the ref has little choice other than to tow the party line. If he does not, then the assessor marks him down. I know because I have been there. Took charge of a game when going for promotion, marked 8.5 and 9 by clubs, but slaughtered by the assessor in a game that everyone else in the ground enjoyed. I gave up at the end of the season.

Re younger and fitter officials - tough luck mate. The reason you have old boys on the line is they are the only ones who stick with it. Many younger officials are recruited but give it up for varying reasons, mainly the abuse. Another big problem for recruitment and retention is the image the match official gets in the media - it is seldom positive and is a big problem when it comes to recruiting.  Training officials get is fine - however it is the same as anything, you cant beat the experience of a match.

Maybe you could qualify and show us how to do it? ;)

I do agree that it is frustrating when you have a bloke (Or woman ) who is officiating in senior football and they are passed retirement age - however it really is the case that there is a limited number of folks available. 

Buggered my meniscus cartilige during a half-time FA Cup Final kickabout so am about as mobile as last night's lino I'm afraid so a masterclass in officiating will have to wait Ian.

DIVISION ONE

5-2 Buckingham Athletic v Chesham United Reserves

A report from another Forum:

South Midlands Div One at Stratford Fields.

Buckingham Athletic 5-2 Chesham United Reserves, att 30 ish.

£3.50, prog inc, tea 70p, no food apart from bar snacks.

Bottles of ale available from behind the bar.

Good to a get a mid week tick and plenty of goals and especially after having seen a 0-0 at Harrogate on Saturday.

BA have a very tidy little setp up, just a short walk from the town centre. Nice little covered stand, with the club badge on the fascia. Tree lined, pitch looked in good shape, sun out, what not to like about mid week football this time of the year?

I enjoyed a thoroughly entertaining 1st half, an end to end game, 0-1, a cracking strike from Reece Cameron, 1-1, then 1-2, a Cameron 20 yd free kick, 2-2, then on the stroke of half time, a clumsy challenge gave BA a pen, 3-2 HT.

2nd half didn't quite live up to the entertainment of the 1st, the very young Chesham team didn't have the nous to get back into the game after BA captain Taylor put them 4-2 up in the 47th minute. 4, became 5 a bit later. Then a young defender for BA was sent off for a second bookable, and after that BA sat on the 5-2, and Chesham were pretty clueless although tried to press the game.

Unlike Timmy Tabby's early finish, this kicked off at 19:31, but didn't finish to 21:33, after numerous stoppages for various injuries. I was still home by 22:45, good night out.

Really? This is getting ridiculous.

I can understand the sock tie rule as so many players use so much that it can change the entire colour of the sock which can make identifying the final touch in a challenge difficult but what difference does an undershirt make?

Apparently, the ref on Saturday's SSML game was excellent by all accounts.

Nobody but the assessor could have enjoyed that guy's performance last night.

Which begs the question . . . was the game played for the players, staff, volunteers & 127 paying punters who wanted to enjoy a tasty derby or for the benefit of keeping the assessor happy?

Too true big dawg. It's like they put themselves out there to be hated at times. No one cares about the ref or assessor, no one pays to watch them. A good ref goes unnoticed. Yet the assessors want them to actively be in the lime light, stopping the flow of the game, booking people, telling off players/managers/coaches, getting petty on goalkeepers under garments, etc.

The game should be about EVERYTHING other than keeping the assessors happy. 

PREMIER DIVISION

4-4 London Tigers v Hillingdon Borough

http://footygrounds.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/london-tigers-avenue-park.html

What happened at Langford? Looked and sounded all the world likely to be title contenders this season. Lots of players unavailable?

I think their problem was fielding players in pre season who had no intention in signing for them.

PREMIER DIVISION

1-1 Holmer Green v Leverstock Green

Holmer Green 1-1 Leverstock Green

Spartan South Midland Premier

Nothing particular obvious has changed since my previous visit a couple of seasons ago, though the game did start with one short floodlight as it hadn't been raised properly.

The hosts had the better of the opening exchanges, with half chances at both ends. On 25 minutes the Leverstock left back was ordered off the pitch to revove his undershorts and wasn't allowed back on until play stopped (much to his frustration) especially as Holmer Green immediately attacked down that wing. However, Leverstock not only cleared the danger, they also counter attacked and opened the scoring.

Thereafter Leverstock controlled the game and tended to look the more likely to score. Not hard when playing against a Holmer Green side which looked like they could play all day and not score. However, when only one up anything can happen and a Leverstock defender when under no pressure at all managed to demonstate exactly how not to head back to the keeper. This was in the second minute of injury time and soon after Holmer Green actually managed a decent effort, a free kick curling just over the top corner. A point flatters them. Three would have been very, very fortunate.