Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Blues v Bognor Regis - TUESDAY 9th September...

We were without all of our forwards but once Scott was named up front it was apparent what we would do. Lump lump lump. Ryan worked hard and did his best but we could have played Appiah through the middle and Jeff or Webber out wide and tried to play some football.

Scott got dropped after having a bad game against Margate so it will be interesting to see if he gets back in now....

18 points from 10 games is a good start. The division the top two apart is beginning to look very ordinary indeed and what we saw last night won't encourage anyone through the gates.

Saturday will be a tough game and one we need to win.

Before we all run towards the cliff and throw ourselves off a little bit of taking stock needs to be done. We all want improvement with the club and improvement is just what we have. Granted some of the performances have been lackluster but in comparison to last season after 10 games, that is exactly what we have got...

2013 / 2014 after 10 games....12 points 13th in the league

2014 / 2015 after 10 games....18 points... 6th in the league... and only goal difference keeps us from a play off place....which has never been decided in September (the league championship either).

Granted, last night was horrible... but we don't have the resources of some of our richer or more liquid friends competing in the league...So considering the comparison, we are holding up quite well overall. One game (or two....or three) does not make a season.

As for the future...who knows. But if we worried about the future, we wouldn't do anything with our lives...

First of all, lets give some credit to Bognor, who belied their position and ran us ragged for most of the evening.

Without our 3 most influencial players of recent weeks it was always going to be an uphill struggle.

Ryan Scott has  potential to become a fine centre half but it was obvious that he was not causing Bogner any problems. I did wonder why Chris Benjamin stayed on the bench last night.

Lets hope some of the injured players are fit to return at the weekend - we really need that win bonus !!!

COYB

We now consistently pull in low attendances (it's now 39 home matches since we last recorded a 450+ attendance. Of those 39 home matches only 5 (five) have been above 400). We can no longer think of ourselves as one of the 'bigger' clubs in this league (maybe we need to reassess our expectations?). I think that is cause for concern regards the future.

Ryan Scott over Steve Sheehan (who has done nothing to justify keeping Scott out the side IMO) for me.

We now consistently pull in low attendances (it's now 39 home matches since we last recorded a 450+ attendance. Of those 39 home matches only 5 (five) have been above 400). We can no longer think of ourselves as one of the 'bigger' clubs in this league (maybe we need to reassess our expectations?). I think that is cause for concern regards the future.

Ryan Scott over Steve Sheehan (who has done nothing to justify keeping Scott out the side IMO) for me.

If you look at Town's of similar size, with a Team playing at a similar level, our gates are not unusual.

Us ' regulars' will always turn up, but the only way to attract the  'floating voters' is to win regularly at home and if possible to win attractively. Last season, only a late flurry of wins, improved a dismal home record. Already this season, we have lost both of our home evening games and unless we improve at home, the gates will not improve.

This is not a criticism of the Team , who are working hard to become a capable side at this level. COYB

Its still early days yet.  I have seen plenty to feel encouraged about.  Yes, the Bognor game was frustrating but that's football.  No team is going to win every game and most teams will have an off day or three, it's how they react that will be interesting. 

Don't forget that for 80 minutes against Witham the Blues looked out of sorts but in the last 10 they created and finished the chances that mattered.  It's very fine margins at times.  Bognor were poor on Tuesday, they were nothing special but they took those two chances which was enough to give them the win.

Chris Benjamin was on the bench, and he wasn't.  From what I was told he was stuck in traffic and never made it to the ground having left home at 5pm.

All-in-all this season has started very well.  Craig has signed some great players and the work rate, for the most part, has been exceptional.

As fans we just need to carry on supporting the club/team, make plenty of noise and keep realistic expectations in the forefront of our minds.

It appears a trend across the board,we've struggled for 3-4 years now despite promotion a couple of years back.'

Yes winning helps and yes attractive football helps but it's not just that,clubs like ours are relying on fans of football whose loyalties lie 6-7 leagues up,we are just an after thought and nowadays a 3pm kick off at New Lodge or Bridge Avenue clashes with the live premier game of their choice on their PC or their local pub.

Clubs must either just put up with it and just keep promoting their club as much as possible and hope gates increase or try other means like moving kick off forward or backwards or even switching days.

As annoying as it is to think of non league football not being played at 3pm on a Saturday the fact remains that it could just be the one factor that's holding clubs back in regards to increasing attendances as the FA and league clubs hold too much sway and simply won't stand up to the tv companies to help the non league game.

Maybe it doesn't have to be every game that's changed but I definately think a few Friday evening or Sunday late morning games could be looked at,just get a few through the gates from time to time and hope to keep them there.

I also think all clubs should let in under 12s free and maybe a very small charge for under 16s say a pound

Archived