Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 5 Cater Bank 0

Swifty

A straightforward League cup win against a side who did, at least, play the game in the right spirit and who showed some nice touches.

Rotation squad time tonight, with Macca making an unexpected appearance in goal while Tyler was given a rest for the weekend, and Greeny, Ginger Tom, Russ, Ryan, Clarke and Sammy all starting.....and starting early. The game kicked off at 7.43 and we were a goal up by normal kick-off time, Ryan coolly slotting home a penalty in the opposite side to the keeper's dive. 

Within seven minutes we were two up, when Clarke's direct free kick from outside the edge of the box went right through the keeper and in. It was a surprise that we had to wait till the 43rd minute for the third, when Sammy was put through, rounded the keeper and scored from a tightish angle. I know of at least one person who was unhappy we hadn't scored at least six in the first half, but we were always in control.

Conor made it 4-0 with an assured finish in the 53rd minute, but we failed to capitalise on our supremacy and only got the fifth in stoppage time when Sammy nodded home a rebound. In truth, the last 15 minutes were flat, as the game wasn't in doubt and we seemed content with our lot - after all, we weren't going to improve our goal difference in this match. CB Hounslow United didn't force a save out of Macca but never gave up and could, maybe should, have registered on the scoresheet with some better finishing.

Difficult to gauge much from this game, apart from noting that every team / squad member seems to know their role and what's expected of them, which is pleasing and reassuring. Also good to see that we're making an effort for the cup games and putting out decent quality sides with no filler.

SG, it is the same Macca who left for Uxbridge but no ships or jumping involved. Paul is always and always will be welcome at Ashford.

Macca was and still is a popular lad at Ashford, as shown by the fact he came back between the sticks to give our keeper a break. If there'd been any hassle last season, Ben wouldn't have asked him to play and Paul wouldn't have agreed. Mind you, from my angle, Macca looked very lucky to stay on the pitch following that challenge!

I will nail my opinion to the post for you all to read.

I don't care who they are or why they left and however we felt at the time. IF the manager thinks that someone coming back will help us get out of this division, then that's good enough for me.

Byron Harrison, Richard Butler, Barney Lawrence-Jones, Jim Heggarty,  - ARE YOU READING THIS?!?! 

(Only joking, of course, Ben)

Macca is a top bloke who did everything right when he moved to Uxbridge, has continued to pop into the club when he can and helped us out in midweek. No negatives there, as far as I can see.

To be fair, Mark, SG did say in their first post that they've been following the club "on and off" and not everyone who is on the terraces will have in-depth knowledge of the squad and why people move on.  I think we need to try and avoid this forum becoming cliquey and if you look at the other posts SG has made, they're either fair points or questions. So I think we should welcome a new poster to the forum and enjoy what is undoubtedly a good run.

Archived