Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 3 Curfews 1

Swifty

We made hard work of it and took time to get going, but a fully deserved win in the end.

We were sluggish in the first half and, after John Pomroy went very close with an angled drive, we gifted Chertsey a 3rd minute lead by losing the ball cheaply 30 yards from goal, though Joe Jones took his goal well. In terms of style of play, The first half was like getting the wrong breakfast at a hotel - we got continental when we needed full English to combat a determined Chertsey, who were well up for the derby. Maybe we were a bit unsettled by Elz's injury and early substitution - hope Elz is up and running again soon. Luckily, we got our breakthrough just before half time when Hughesy's superb run and low cross from the right wing was flashed home by Beads, having his best game of the season and pipping Joe for man of the match in my view.

We grew in confidence after that, though we were probably helped a bit by Chertsey having to use both their available subs within ten minutes of the restart - their other two subs had driven to Ashford in Kent by mistake! It was still a bit anxious as to whether we'd get our noses in front against a tough team to crack open, but Hughesy's fine drive in the 73rd minute settled the nerves. Russ's dad Chris opted to watch Brentford today and missed Russ score a rare scrambled goal ten minutes from time. Talking of which, good management by Ben in bringing the ginger Bobby Moore back for that extra experience needed in a game like this.

On the minus side, we gave the ball away far too often, especially when not looking before making the pass. On the plus side, we showed determination and didn't panic about either being a goal behind or level. You couldn't fault the application. Chertsey gave us our toughest test this season and, eventually, we passed it.

Taken from the Kempster forum:

Canterbury City 3-0 Deal Town 
Homelands, Ashford 
Wouldn't normally post about going to see City play but I thought I had to record that it happened today - just 5 games into our groundshare at Ashford. The clubs gateman thought that all of the Deal players had arrived for the game when two additional lads appeared at about 1-45. They were duly admitted and pointed in the direction of the dressing room. Five minutes later they were back a little puzzled. City were playing Deal...they were Chertsey players told to go to Ashford Town!!! 

Chertsey to Ashford, Middlesex about 4 miles; Chertsey to Ashford, Kent about 75... 

Swifty, missed the game today due to work commitments, very pleased the boys won, well done to them.

It seems I upset a few people with my comment about Macca, please understand no offence was ment and I apologise if any was caused, looking back perhaps I could have worded the question better, to all contributers to this forum I will try harder.

Firstly, apology accepted from me (easy decision) and. I reckon, all on the forum. Nice to see someone put their hands up and say sorry. There are so many arrogant and bullheaded people on forums who refuse to back down or realise they should back down (no-one like that on this forum to my knowledge).

Secondly, good to see a new 'regular' on here. I thought I was the only contributor at one point!

Thirdly, good to see you're looking out for the lads. Wish there were more like you out there.

Bits crossed for the opening goal as in the offical match report this was uncertain...

I thought that would get you going ;)

Archived