Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 2 Magpies 3

Swifty

First up, congratulations to Loxwood. A team representing a village of 1,500 who've progressed from park pitch football in West Sussex to the Sussex County First Division in seven seasons and, apparently, unbeaten in nine after today. They were buoyant, had no fears, and played some very pleasing football with just a hint of ruthlessness in the odd tackle. I'm glad Loxwood aren't in our division as I think they'd give us a run for our money.

Talking of money, we deserved to take the game to extra time but we've missed out on some much needed money to pay the bills and the chance of an enjoyable Vase run. Whether we underestimated Loxwood or we just weren't firing on all cylinders, that result should surely focus our efforts in the league. We badly miss Elz, our defence wasn't at the races (let alone daft stunts like passing the ball across our box with attackers bearing down) and Ben made an applaudable decision to take off two defenders and bring on another striker to try and put Loxwood under more pressure in the last twenty. New striker Phil gelled with Dan immediately and has a rare old throw on him, but needs to pass the ball more or quicker when necessary.

Dan gave us a 16th minute lead against the run of play and thanks to a great advantage played by the ref, but Tom Familton (25th) and Tim Martin (on the half hour) put Loxwood in the ascendancy. We finally upped a gear and got a 45th minute penalty which Sam Smith saved but Bitz bore down on the rebound and scored at the second attempt. We pegged Loxwood back for long periods at the start of the second half, but fine work by Smith and his defenders kept us out, and then we gifted Loxwood a penalty which Martin converted in the 65th. After that, it was kitchen sink stuff by us with Loxwood threatening to put us out of sight on the break. When we hit the post with the game's final effort you knew it was going to be one of those days.

Actually, it was an absorbing game, but I reckon there are lessons to be learned (and maybe one or two players looking over their shoulders at others in the squad) after today.

I agree Ed I really enjoyed the game I thought it had cut & thrust and spills & thrills a plenty.... Tommy Brunton was superb today and credit the Loxwood keeper he made 3 or 4 really decent blocks and was very sharp off his line......... You could tell that It meant a lot to our opponents which shows what a scalp they consider us to be, good luck to Loxwood in the next round and beyond.... :thumbsup (2):

Archived